1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Feeler for interest on a fork conversion package for F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Gangplank, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I completed my fork conversion from stock BMW F800GS forks to an upgraded set of forks off an Aprilia RXV 4.5/4.5 - they are Marzocchi Shiver forks and are a huge improvement over stock.

Got me thinking that this can be put together into a package and maybe there would be some interest from others in buying it as a replacement or conversion package for the F800GS.

Forks used could be Showa, KYB (Kayaba), Marzocchi or others.

Options:

a) budget DIY package includes:
    All fork inner parts - bottom foot adjuster (compression), cartrige, springs, top caps (rebound adjustment) and bleed screw.
    Springs would me matched to rider weight and riding style
    Fork oil and instructions on what needs to be done (machining bottom foot of stock forks to accept the bottom foot adjuster) and how to put them together (its not that hard).

b) High End Custom set up package would include:
    Send in your stock BMW F800GS forks
    The will be machined to accept the bottom foot adjuster
    The forks will be valved for your weight and riding style
    Springs incldued and matched to rider weight and riding style
    All work will be done - complete forks shipped back to you for installation on your bike
    Instructions included - not hard at all

Who would be interested in either of these pakcages and how much would you be willing to pay for either one?

the budget package is basically the Bitubo package but you would have to have a machine shop do the work locally. The result would be better than the bitubo's at $600 + shipping because the bitubos only have spring preload adjustment correct?

Anyway, who might be interested and what are you willing to pay for either of the above?

I may do a bunch more work and see if I can get some kits together with Ed McCoy at McCoy's Off Road Center (no he doesn't have a website. He is old school but he is a racetech center for NV and does a bunch of pro racer's set ups for thier bikes)
  2. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Low budget option: Not worth it. I think the thing most people are afraid of is machining stuff...most people simply don't know how to go about it. Locating a shop, and all. Those who have no problem working that end of the project aren't going to have a problem sourcing the parts, which--lets face it--is what this option really boils down to.

High end option: That's what people want. If someone isn't going to DIY, they want a turnkey solution. They want to be able to take their forks off and give them to the nice man in the brown uniform, then have the brown man show up a week later with a set of plushies all ready to bolt on. Price? That's always a hard one, but I'd say the sweet spot will be something on the order of $700-800. Price it closer to $1000 and you might get a few takers, but with the Traxxion option only a couple hundred bucks away (and new parts instead of--I assume--used stuff), you won't find too many willing to take that plunge. Price it closer to $600 and you'll get more takers, but I doubt you'll be able to turn a profit.
  3. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What BXR said.

:thumb:thumb
  4. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id be in, i know how to get stuff done thats not the problem but the actual parts are just too expensive here because no one will dismantle a front end and so are bitubo kits. There would be intrest i think but not enough to get it going.

I'll probably go to ebay in the end.
  5. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    I dont agree that the low budget option isn't worth it, especially to us antipodeans on the far side of the world.

I don't want to send my forks to America and back, I just want the good stuff for the insides. If you had a single spec the simple budget DIY option would just be a subset of the full on, send in your forks kit, so it shouldn't be difficult to offer both.

I don't think it would be very easy to source the internals in Australia and if Gangplank could source the components and come up with a good spec for them from his suspension expert life would be pretty simple.

If they were the same price as the Bitubos in the US they would be a better bet because they would be more tunable, more adjustable and rebuildable. The Traxxion might be great, but it is very expensive.
  6. dukedar

dukedar 60 easy payments!

Oddometer:
    I too am not too convinced that the low-end solution would be popular.

Yesterday I caught up on your Shiver thread, and depending on costs, this could be interesting for me. :ear

My main beef is the dive in the front end :norton
  7. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    The dive is much improved alread with the Shiver'd fix with the .50 springs that were in the set I found used. I will be making adjustments and riding so see how much better it can get with the current settings. I may bump up to a .55 spring if needed but I doubt it will be needed. My guess is the .5 will be just right for my riding... AND there is the key, you can adjust them to fit your riding and riding style. Very nice mod if you ask me.

It is touch to get an exact read on what the proper sag settings should be for this bike. ?? :ears