Fell Over In Driveway

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by ADVAAL, Aug 12, 2019.

1. ADVAAL

ADVAAL n00b

Oddometer:
    I can't believe it happened, but I dropped my bike in the driveway while trying to get my keys out of my pocket. 2017 R1200 GS. Only slight scraping on left side valve cover, and very slight scrape on left hand guard. Otherwise, everything seems to be ok. Bike blew smoke for a bit, but that went away. My question is, is there typically any other type of damage I should be concerned about? Thanks very much in advance.
  2. rtrider

rtrider Lost

Oddometer:
    from the sounds of it - no. the only thing i'd look for is oil weeping from the valve cover in the event you shifted it - but its unlikely.

mine been resting on both sides many times with no issues :lol3 - and I've hit far harder than a parking lot tip over.
  3. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Meh.... everyone does it don't worry about it.
    thanosgp, Pansy and Renegade3 like this.
  4. Slowklr

Slowklr Attempting to fall in style

Oddometer:
    Dropped all my bikes,a little touch-up paint to keep the rust away and you're good to go.
    thanosgp likes this.
  5. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couple months ago my '09 R1200RT that I bought 2 years ago took a right side nap, of course before I had fitted any guards.

Scuffed the mirror edge, valve cover and right side bag. No big deal. It's a machine to be used, wiped down occasionally then used again.

Just like its garage pal, the K100RS which has also had a few tip overs. Well used.
    thanosgp and CCitis like this.
  6. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Driveway/garage tip over- the unkindest cut of all.
    thanosgp likes this.
  7. Lep

Lep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few months ago I bought a cb500x before I had sold my 700gs. I came home from a ride on the Honda rode into the garage and parked close to the BMW. Unfortunately I got off the Honda without putting the side stand down. Not only did I drop the Honda I managed to fall against the BWM and knock it over. To add to the embarrassment I needed help from a neighbour to pick up the bikes.

At least I didn’t get trapped under either bike as has happened to me previously.

There are many opportunities for embarrassment when you ride a motorcycle.
    msjesscat, zuma, Billy52 and 3 others like this.
  8. Renegade3

Renegade3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two weeks ago I moved the triumph into the bottom of the driveway to get the mower out. It's a slight incline and didn't think twice about it. Started to dismount, didn't grab the front brake and as I stood to swing my leg over the whole bike shifted forward and down we went. New clutch lever and turn signal later, it's all good to go. At least it was less than $100 to fix. I feel your pain.
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tis a reason for an engine guard.

Falling over happens to us all. Gravity never relents.
    CowboyFatBob, Richy and Renegade3 like this.
  10. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it’s hard being cool. Everyone drops a bike now an agin. Most try not to tell anyone.
    Bike will be fine.
    Tonto
    thanosgp, Billy52 and Renegade3 like this.
  11. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well if we are sharing.... Last drop I had was while starting a rare classic machine with an audience (always seems to happen with an audience). Standing beside the bike, thumbed the starter, forward she goes off the side stand onto her side. Ever heard of neutral... :muutt
    thanosgp and Renegade3 like this.
  12. Unca Fud

Unca Fud nrpetersen

Oddometer:
    Parked my K1200LT in a 2 car garage next to my son's new Subaru, punched the down button on the garage door, walked out, heard a crash inside, only to find the bike had rolled forward on it's side stand and fallen into the Subaru. $1200 dmage to the Subaru. But none to the K1200!
    thanosgp and kgrise1 like this.
  13. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Taking pictures of my new bike the very evening I bought it, I dropped it in my gravel driveway. Luckily it had crash bars (and no one else was around)... :patch

Edit: I don't think your bike is made out of glass, should be fine.
    Matt fe2o3 and thanosgp like this.
  14. Poster Nutbag

Poster Nutbag n00b

Oddometer:
    First ride on my '18 Tiger XCA...pulling slowly out of the garage under power and clipped my (also brand new) truck with my pannier. I had thought about removing them but it looks less cool with them off. For the life of me couldn't figure out why my bike had stopped moving so I gave it a bit more throttle. Bike decided to take a nap. Broke the left fairing where the turn signal is located. No damage anywhere else.
    thanosgp likes this.
  15. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Just got a new 2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000 a few months ago. I rode it to the local hospital to visit a friend and while parking in the lot I didn't allow for the slight angulation of the parking stall and she started to tip over towards the right. I braced my right leg and fought to get back over the tipping point, but after about 30 seconds of resisting I came to the realization that gravity was relentless and would not be denied while my leg was stubborn it was still going to lose this battle.

I grudgingly accepted my fate and then worked to slowly let the bike go to minimize any damage and at the last second rolled away. It was at that point I heard the sound of running feet and a voice asking "Are you alright?". It was pretty embarrassing to have a total stranger see my folly I tell ya.

Only it wasn't a stranger. I was my daughter who was also going to visit the same person. That was worse.....there was a witness that would never let me forget.

I did refuse her offer to help me get the bike back up, and I got to practice my bike lifting technique, so that was a plus......
    thanosgp, CowboyFatBob and CA Stu like this.
  16. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    bykergrrl likes this.
  17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    cute shoes, and a fascinating post about the math and geometry of heels in post #41.

I dropped my Harley in the driveway last summer one night after a long hot day of riding. In semi-justification, the driveway is a little complicated to enter coming the way I did. Regardless, I fell over. I was so tired I just walked away and left it there for the night.

The other side is being so short I can't always get too a kickstand. A few weekends ago I went off riding some oldish Italian bikes. I, um, had to have help with the Ducatti 860 kickstand a few times.
    thanosgp, kgrise1 and Little Bike like this.
  18. Getdrty

Getdrty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reading this there should be a first drop thread if there isn't one already. And speaking of- my first drop happened when I tripped over my flip flops pulling my bike out of the shed. Lesson learned.
    thanosgp likes this.
  19. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    That's probably the very first thing you should do when you park your new bike in the driveway for the first time.
    thanosgp, Unca Fud and Renegade3 like this.
  20. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a minor tip over with the GW in Missouri several years ago. I laid that big puppy on the mirror and rear crash bar. Problem with picking it up was I had just filled by both fuel tanks with gas - 11.4 gallons of RUG and loaded up all the luggage compartments.

It took three of us to put it up right. Some minor damage resulted, a scuffed mirror and scratched rear chrome bar.
    thanosgp and Renegade3 like this.