Fell Over In Driveway

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by ADVAAL, Aug 12, 2019.

1. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dealers should have a padded area and let you drop it before you leave the lot. Just get it over with and they can help you pick if up if you can't do it yourself....
  2. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last drop was my Street Twin while washing it to sell. Parked at kinda of bad angle and pushed on the sponge a little too hard. Luckly or minor little scratch on the can...as it was tipping over I grabbed it but was too late so it went down gently.

Dropped cb600f in garage several times parking it, minor scratch. One time parked it at my folk's place and dropped it into my dad's Acura. Think I dropped this bike the most about half a dozen times over the 6years/50miles that I had it. Dropped in at a camp site once and on the side of the road twice. I think Hondas tend to stand up too upright while on the sidestand. If there is any kind of angle on the ground they are so easy to tip over.

Dropped several other bikes from stupid stuff too...luckily I have never crashed one....well dirt yes and scooter yes.
    thanosgp likes this.
  3. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    since we're sharing...

1st tip over: In the parking lot of my apartment, heading to work. Forgot to take off the brake lock. Shifted into first, moved for 1 inch and then WHAM, I'm on my sides. Minor damage to my sliders. Year 1 of my biking career.

2nd tip over: Tired after a long day at work. Stopped for fuel on the way home. Came up to a pump, proceeded to switch of my engine and dismounted... forgetting that I haven't put down the side stand. WHAM, the bike is on it's sides. minor damage to the sliders. Also year 1 of my biking career.

3rd tip over: Tired after a long day at work. Stopped at a pharmacy on the way home. Killed my engine and dismounted the bike... forgetting that I haven't put down the side stand. WHAM, the bike is on it's sides. minor damage to the sliders. This is year 5 of my biking career.

It happens...
    thanosgp and Unca Fud like this.
  4. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just your ego
    CCitis and Arbolmano like this.
  5. kgrise1

kgrise1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happened to me a couple weeks ago. Dropped in the parking lot at work trying to adjust a bag. I'm just happy it didn't hit the truck next to me...

No witnesses but I was able to pull video footage!
    TheBritAbroad and Yellow Dog like this.
  6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree! It should also be a part of test fitting you to a bike. Can you reach the ground, and can you pick it up when it falls over.
    DirtMerchant likes this.
  7. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I couldn't imagine owning a bike I couldn't pick up. :scratch
  8. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh! Long legged dates! Forgot about this type of falling, and it’s happened to me more than once.

Some long legged Amazon females find small gnome like men sexy. :D

Since they can reach the ground a whole lot better than I can when we’re on the bike, many times they would. Which in my opinion was just wonderful!

But invariably the date would end, and I’d have to now ride off, alone.

More times than I’d care to admit, I’d then forget to put my feet down at a stop, and fall over.
    And just about as frequently, there would be someone there, cracking up, because they knew what had happened. I can only guess, but I suspect each time I fell over I’d look back in astonishment that my not-there date wasn’t holding my bike up for me.
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride more. It’s not that hard a situation to find yourself in.

Sure, there’s the videos of small women picking up big Harley’s using their legs. All well and good. Should you drop a dresser with s big crash bar to rock it half way up on to start with.

Typical ujm, that lays there and n the side of its tank is much harder to lift. It very much can defeat a solo lift, especially in the middle of the road. Dead lifts with your butt on the pavement just don’t work well.

Drop a bike on a cross mountain pass and you may find yourself with the seat a good foot below the wheels, and no way to drag it around. That’s not a fun lift, even with a little 250cc bike.

Drop a bike loaded with gear for a road trip and all that weight up high makes lifting super fun.

Add in a day of riding, so now you’re tired, and even an easy light weigh lift can become all but insurmountable.
    thanosgp, Slowklr and Camcow like this.
  10. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I can pick up my vstrom when the boxes are on, but not when it falls flat.
  11. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have smashed 3 or 4 turn signals at 0mph on my Vstrom, including one when the wife was sitting on the back. Parked on a slightly sloped surface, the bike stood up a little bit when I got off and over she went. I had to buy dinner that night.
    thanosgp likes this.
  12. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Iunno. I think a lot has to do with my height. I can get a lot of leverage on the bike. I've dumped my DR650 fully loaded in a brook with a trail of bikes behind me, and picked it up in a hurry. Took my longer to get it started back up again. I also dropped it semi-loaded on my icy driveway. I had a little issue there, only because of the glare ice. So I'm confident I can lift my DR just fine.

Point I was getting at, I'd never take a fully loaded KTM on a trail alone for the fact alone I'm not sure if I would be able to pick it up if it fell. I'd have to try it first before I really went anywhere serious. I know if I were a foot shorter, half my weight, and were totally out of shape, I'd probably be riding a DRZ or something.

I've dumped my DR plenty of times in all sorts of places, loaded and unloaded, and never had an issue other than the icy driveway.
  13. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me either but we both may be surprised at how many people can't....
  14. Lep

Lep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I for one can’t pick my bike nor could I have picked up any bike I’ve ever owned except maybe the old Norton I had in 1962. I can’t say for sure because I never dropped it.

When I resumed riding in 2003 after a 40 year break I was shocked at how heavy bikes had become. Of course it was probably me having got weaker rather than bikes getting heavier.

Maybe I’m the only skinny old weakling who enjoys riding and can’t pick up his/her bike unaided but I doubt it. I’ll eventually have to stop riding but it won’t be because I might drop my bike and be embarrassed because I need help to lift it.
    bykergrrl and foxtrapper like this.
  15. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    A DR650 is a pretty light bike, even “fully loaded”, whatever that means.

Try it with the likes of a say the Triumph Rocket, and get back to us. Or the KTM you sorta seemed to say you weren’t sure you could pick up.

Really no need for that dig, implying that to not be able to easily pick up any bike people have to be really out of shape. A heavy bike is heavy. Awkward lift situations are awkward.
    Berchunis likes this.
  16. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try a 900lb Gold Wing with over 11 gallons of RUG, full saddle bags and sleeping gear with tent aboard. Then get back to us.
  17. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Hence why I'd never ride a 900lb Gold Wing with over 11 gallons of RUG, full saddle bags and sleeping gear with tent aboard.

I think you guys misinterpreted what I said.

I couldn't imagine owning a bike that I couldn't pick up. I'm not saying I could pick up any bike. What I am saying is that I would never own a bike knowing right off that bat that I wouldn't be able to pick up.

Been eyeing out an FJR for some time now, and a big stopping point is the fact of its weight.

That's exactly what I'm saying. My DR, fully loaded with camping gear, I can pick up. Hence why it was the bike I chose.

I'm not trying to make any digs here. I'm flat out saying, I would never own a bike that I knew I wouldn't be able to pick up; especially an adventure bike that is more prone to being dropped.
    thanosgp likes this.
  18. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, if I can't pick it up by myself I have no business on it. I am an old fart who started riding pretty late in life. I will consider down sizing as I get older and weaker. I frequently ride alone and sometimes very remote. Being able to pick it up is essential, especially since my skill tends to tip over a bit.
    My "big" bike is Vstrom 650. Last time I had to pick it up I torqued my back. My Chiropractor popped in back in place. It is heavy to me, so I am probably going to down size a bit. Probably stealing my wife's CB500X.

It could be worse! See attached stolen picture from RMAR thread. Dominoes anyone?
    [​IMG]
    thanosgp and Whodatschrome like this.
  19. bykergrrl

bykergrrl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4A30A2B5-7C14-4E3C-9989-18A87E0C0771.jpeg Result of a tippy in my 12-15% grade driveway bike died on the way up put my foot down in a small dip- no driveway under my foot stupidly must have put out my arm at some point bike was fine broke radius bone now have a titanium plate 05E0C178-8DA7-4526-80D9-C2CDE62CB344.jpeg
    thanosgp likes this.
  20. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, 10-4. I was completely misunderstanding you. Thank you for the clarification.