FEMALE riding solo to Alaska needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dsmitty, Aug 4, 2005.

1. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys and Gals,
    My buddies at ktmtalk sent me your way. From reading the posts you folks are definitely who I need to talk to...
    Here's the story, last weekend some riding buddies were in town for the ktm adventure rally. I live in a tiny town in Colorado, called Ridgway. We went up to Ouray hung out, saw a great Dakar flick. Anyway, they started talking about a trip they were taking to Canada, I said I wanted to go, they said okay. I looked at the map, and decided I would be way too close to Alaska to not venture over. I figured at Banff I would cut over and visit the last great frontier. I even bought a new bike, I didn't think my KLR would keep up with their 1200/1300 bikes. THEN, I get the phone call...one of the buddies wives vetoed me going!!! Background here, I am a 5'8' blond, I model for a living, and I am a hell of a lot of fun!!! Apparently this did not sit well with her?? But, to be fair, it could have also been the guys way of ditching me, thinking a "girl" would not be able to hang. Since I rode my F3 From Denver to LA, 1100 miles in 17 hours I knew I would be fine. Not to mention many weekends of lots of miles. I live for Epic adventures! But I had lost my vote!! And honestly, I love biker wives, usually they are the coolest people I know!! I would never intentionally upset them.

I was so amped up for the trip, bought my bike, bags, crashbars, skid plate, heated liners, riding the bike like crazy so my boys can do a service on Tim(my bike's name, after a dead friend) get it all ready to go. SO, I said FUCK EM, I will go by myself!!!! I 'm not scared, okay maybe a little. But, after living in LA having a shot gun held to my head, being duck taped and left on my living room floor, I think I can handle 4-5000 miles with Tim!!!

Well, there is the background, of how this all came about. Here is where I need help from you guys?? I was going to follow their maps to Banff, see yellowstone, banff and on into Alaska. Hit Alaska, head back down to the states and into Cali, to Yosimite and over back to CO. Of course everyone now has their 2 cents, I won't make it across to Alaska from Banff, too much rain, snow, bears, aliens??? Then, I thought I would ride up to Seattle take the ferry, I have a friend of a friend in Anchorage, use that as my port and do day trips, then head over to Banff and down that way... You guys on this site, are the people that live up there, know the conditions, etc., etc., so I need to hear from you guys. I know I could look this all up, but that is not first hand. The weather site says temps should okay? I will be pulling out of Denver on the 13th. You can email me directly if it is easier, or even send me a phone number and a time to call and I will. The other thing is I would n't mind some company, male or female, ( that doesn't mean get laid, but it doesn't rule it out either!!) You hear all sorts of wild stories about the men from Alaska!!! But, my friend who has dated an Alaskan man, says she is glad I am riding to Alaska. She says your the last true gentlemen, and knows you guys will take care of me, as a sister rider! I am hoping that is truly the case, if not I know martial arts and carry bear mace!!!!
    if anyone is interested in maybe showing me around, I have no agenda or time to be back. So, please let me know what you think. Any and all info, thoughts, andedotes are welcome.

Smitty

dsmittysbiz@yahoo.com
  2. Mike Butt

Mike Butt Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Both the Alcan and Cassiar Hwys., with the exception of some construction, are very rideable. You should have no problem. Bring lots of bug repellent.
  3. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Smitty, depending on how far into Alaska you want to go, leaving Banff/Jasper/Icefields Parkway and heading to Dawson BC then the Top Of The World Highway over into Alaska itself is a great route.

Going clockwise you can take the Inside Passage Ferry from Bellingham, Washington, up to Haines/Skagway, then make our way to Dawson Via Tok. You'll be on the ferry for 3 days but it's worth it, you'll see things you'd never see from the highway. You can even camp on the deck of the ship and save the price of a cabin. It'll still cost you around $700 for you and the bike though, and they only run every three days.

You'll meet plenty of women travelling solo, a lot on bicycles, so don't let that deter you.

I asked a girl in Alaska about the male/female ratio, her answer...
    "yeah the odds are good, but the goods are odd" :D

Good luck and enjoy yourself. The only real advice I can give you is set a depart date and stick to it, otherwise you'll just keep putting it off...and if you're thinking of taking a gun, you might wanna check with the Canadians first :D

Take care,

Ant
  4. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Sorry to here your buddies flaked on you. Probably better to find out now rather than later though.

Onya for not quitting!

If you need a place to Crash whilst in Seattle, the door at Casa Drunkard is always open for advRiders on the road. Pay it forward...

Johnny
  5. billy_037

billy_037 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He, what is the problem to go on your own? I did it in June. From Calgary to Prudhoe Bay. Just amazing. I think it has an extra prospective of being on your own. You meet much more people!

Going to Alaska, I took the Highway 36. Then Haynes Junction - Tok - Fairbanks.
    Way down Top of the World Highway. Planning was to take the Alaska Highway to Dawnson Creek. But from Whitehorse to Watson Lake, I was alread so bored of the HIGHWAY, so I decided to take Highway 36 back south. My opinion, one of the nicest road on the whole trip, beside the Hauling road.

Because I was on my own, the following two things scared me:
    1. Having problems and nobody to help me. I caried a satellite phone just in case. Never had to use it.
    2. Camping in the wild scared me too much. For that, most of the time I stayed in hotels.

So have fun. Any further questions, just give a shout.
  6. Surlyguy

Surlyguy Guest

You won't have any issues traveling solo up to Alaska. People are generally friendly and helpful all the way. You will meet lots of other riders who would probably be more than happy to have some company.

As a married man with a non-jealous wife I find it hugely amusing that the boys wives vetoed your going along! Guess they don't trust their men...

Can't guarantee I'll be around for a ride but drop me a line before you get to Calgary.

What is your proposed route? I recommend banff/jasper/prince george/north to alaska highway and then onwards. On the way back you can take the stewart cassier highway but it is a lot less travelled and (no stereo types intended BUT) it has a lot of Indian reserve land where there is unfortunatly some issues if your camping alone. The place is also filthy with bears if you are alone which probably doesn't promote a good nights sleep.

Blair
  7. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    Specing a trip to AK myself. That's too funny about the wive's *vetoing* you (those boys got some issues on thier hands, that's for sure).

Just crusing the thread looking for ideas on our trip. We're going to try to make it before the end of August but that all depends on the bikes making it west for Ohio in time.

Have fun up there! A frined of my (6' blond) took her KLR up there and had a blast. She said it's a must do. I'm sure you won't have much trouble at all. Heck.. maybe we'll see you heading back while we are heading up! LOL Above all, they say take in the scenary, take your time and have fun!

PS. I've been told we need to by "Hiderized". Where is Hyder (Hider???). Looking on my route planning maps and I can't find any place like that. Help?
  8. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    You can get here 2 ways.

http://www.cohoferry.com
    http://www.bcferries.com

Great roads once you get here. Visit Tofino and Long Beach. Stick to the old coastal highway on the east side of the island as you head north.
    Go to Port Hardy then catch the 'Queen of the North' ferry to Prince Rupert. About a 14hr ride through the Inside Passage. Overnight in Rupert then head east to Cassiar Junction. Go north, stop in at Hyder, get 'Hyderized' then keep going north via the Cassiar. Return via Jasper and Banff.

Cheers
    Richard :1drink
  9. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Not trying to hijack your thread, but you sound familiar. I remember reading about you on KTMTalk. Are you still working up to the Dakar rally? Or do I have you confused?
  10. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    You also sound a little familiar to me. Did you tend bar at the Beaumont last summer and visit us at the ADVRider rally at the KOA in Ouray in late July last year?

Sorry for the hijack as well.
  11. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a great time..... :D

Everyone will be looking for you....
  12. Owlseye

Owlseye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Where is Hyder?"

Follow hwy 16 (aka the Yellowhead) west from Jasper towards Prince Rupert. Turn north on hwy 37 (aka the Cassiar highway). About halfway up turn west again towards Stewart, BC. Hyder, Alaska, is Stewart's next door neighbor, separated by an international border, but no distance. Fantastic road in. The Cassiar highway is great, too. We camped there this past June, but if you're willing to hotel it, stay at a place called Bell II; it is a helicopter ski resort when there is snow, and kind of an oasis of luxury in the middle of nowhere when it's rainy and you're cold and wet. And Gordo's restaurant in Deese Lake has authentic Mexican food, if you're in that sort of mood. As for bears, there's tons of them, but it has been a good food year for them, and they're not likely to be interested in you, unless you smell like bacon or blueberries.
  13. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Yes, and yes, I was at the Buen Tiempo last summer tending bar, and I am working up to ride the Dakar. I actually met a guy from KTM last weekend and hope to help them pit the baja 1000 in November. I don't remember the KOA visit?? Is there something I should know!!! I am nearing 40 and the memory is going quickly...and I was on the KTM site a lot getting help with my 200 and advice. Boy, you guys have much better memories then mine, I'm impressed...

Smitty
  14. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Fat Chance,
    I am trying to get more miles on Tim, you around on Saturday, maybe lunch and we ride somewhere? And if you have a wife/girlfriend please extend the offer to her, some where mellow?? I am still breaking him in!!

Smitty
  15. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    I just sent a PM to you.
  16. charles960

charles960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smitty,
    Helen Twowheels is a single gal that rides everywhere. She did a seminar at the BMW rally and joked about Leaving the Guys in the middle of the ride because they were driving HER nuts! I don't doubt it.

I got to take a huge solo trip this summer. It is very good for the sole, and even the folks who think I am crazy to ride are impressed.

You can only take a LONG gun into canada, with the paperwork avail. on their gov't web site. That means shot gun or rifle. Defense from wild animals is a legitimate reason (its on the form). I took one and was glad to have it, but NEVER need it for anything.

Good luck and ride safe.
    Charles
  17. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Considering I was laid on my living room floor for an hour with a sawed off shotgun to the base of my skull when I lived in Santa Monica...I am not too keen on guns! I have the same problem with duck tape!!??!! I will just have to outwit them, I will fight to my death next time around. I am just hoping I took myself out of the odds, lightening isn't suppose to strike twice...

Smitty
  18. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jumbo Mace??
  19. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Good advice.

The rest is just dreams and BSing.
  20. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    I leave out of Ridgway in the 11th, and leave Denver for the Great unknown on the 13th!!! Hopefully I will get a chance to meet a bunch of you in person...