FEMALE riding solo to Alaska needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dsmitty, Aug 4, 2005.

1. jdpower

jdpower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smitty, if you aren't doing the haul road to Prudhoe Bay, all should be fine. If planning on the haul road, I'd recommend going up it with someone just in case of any bike or equipment problems etc. The alcan isn't too bad at all except for some stretches of loose gravel, but they usually mark them pretty well. If there is thick loose gravel, be careful. I did it last year up to Prudhoe Bay.

JDP
  2. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    A couple of suggestions from the Alaska side....

Don't wait toooooo long, we have yellow leaves coming out in both the Fairbanks area and here in southcentral, and the fireweed is topping out. Basically, you have a 6 week window of relative safety.

If you get to Anchorage, stop by Alaska Leather and see if Barb is back from Sturgis.

And the Top of the World Highway is not to be missed on a bike. Awesome road.
  3. jdpower

jdpower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had to run before so now can finish post. If you wait until Sept., you can run into snow conditions. I rode back in mid Aug. last year, and it was chilly all the way back, so dress warm and electrics are good to have too. Doing the ride solo as a young woman would make me recommend staying in motels and not camping out just as a precaution. Also let some friends know where and when you are stopping and planned itinerary. You can get a calling card for Canada to help with that. Obviously, carry a tire repair kit and a small 12 volt compressor just in case too. You will be fine.

JDP
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Smitty,
    Lets put it this way, last summer, my buddy rode to Prudhoe on his 74 Norton, no worries! He did equip it with an extra fuel tank, for good range.
    Unfortunately, guns are a no-no in Canada, but you won't need one in Canada because hardley anyone has one. Personal protection? Bear spray, and a real big knife are ok, if stowed away during the border crossing. A passport might be handy, but two pieces of i.d. will work. You'll get more hassle with the U.S. guys, they are understandably more jumpy these days.
    Wild animals? The bears bellies are full of berries and fish this time of year, just stay away from the babies, mom will NOT be impressed! And the mosquitoes will be incredible, when you stop your bike.
    If you stay on the main routes, you won't have any problems. If you are just going to Anchorage or Fairbanks, heck you won't hardley get your bike dirty. No worries at all.
    Ciao, Steve G.
    Surrey B.C.
  5. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, I wasn't planning on going but I plan to have my bike packed by the 11th and I'll drive by Ridgeway on the way up. By the way I like puppies, long walks and handholding. :evil

Unfortunately just kidding but those guys are idiots I tell you, if they really did blow you off. I went up 2 years ago and it's important to know what your total trip timeframe is. I know you have unlimited time but it will be getting cold in the Northern parts soon.
  6. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! thanks for all the great advice and encouragement. I don't know how i am even going to sleep for the next several days!! I am going as prepared as I can. Heated everything, couldn't find a heated thong though, so I guess I will have panty lines;-) But, gloves , jacket, pants and socks. I know what it is like to ride cold, NO THANKS. And I might not have a cute boy to zip me out of my jacket this time when my hands are too frozen to move!!!
    I am thinking I will stay in Hotels, I would like to say I would camp, maybe if I am exhausted and can't go any further. I once slept in a rest stop full gear on, under my bike. I have to be smart and realistic, after all before I moved to the sticks I lived in DC, LA, NY, Las Vegas, definate city girl still lurking inside. But, I am going to be doing a lot of miles and a hot shower and clean sheets are going to do me good.
    I realize I am going a little late in the season. I figure if I really enjoy myself, I will weld a cage for my dog and Aspen and I will return next summer for a full on tour!! this time around I will see what I can before I freeze my ti#$*tt%*ies off!!!
    Keep up the info and the pics, you guys have AMAZING pictures...

Smitty
  7. Curtis

Oddometer:
    One word for you little lady. Trip report! OK that's 2 words but still we need smitty pics.
  8. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Consider it done! It is the least I could do after all this great help. I LOOOOVEEE my motorcycle friends !!
  9. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    smitty,

I did the run on a KLR last Summer. My days from Yellowstone to Anchorage were as follow
    Yellowstone to Glacier Park
    Glacier to Banf
    Banf to Jasper
    Jasper to Smithers (Cassiar route to Alaska)
    Smithers to Deese Lake
    Deese Lake to Whitehorse
    Whitehorse to Tok
    Toke to Anchorage

As others have said, be prepared for rain and cold. This time of year mosquitos should be less of a problem than in June and July. Post a note when you get here. There are always some folks who would like to ride with ya. Have fun!!!!
  10. RonS

RonS Out there... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about the trip. Chances are slim that you will have any problems and if you do, hey, it's an adventure ride. Sometimes the adventure doesn't begin until things start going wrong. Just relax and roll with whatever comes. People you will meet while traveling up that way (especially the locals) are very helpful. As someone else said traveling by yourself is the best way to experience the adventure. It is good for the soul and you meet a lot more people than you do when your traveling with a group.

A few tips from my last couple of trips up that way:

The first year I went up on a sport touring bike (an Aprilia Futura). For ninety percent of the trip it was the perfect bike. It was that ten percent of road construction that was a problem on a bike like that. It was hot down south and I struggled with what gear to take with me. Once I got north it got a lot colder and I was rained on for probably 1200 miles.

The next year I went up I took only cold weather gear and I roasted my ass off all the way up. It was 85 degrees at Prudoe Bay and mid 80's to mid 90's everywhere else. Oh well, you can never predict the weather. In my opinion it is better to be prepared for cold and wet than it is for hot and sunny.

Best places to see IMO: Ice Fields parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper. Road between Whitehorse and Skagway. Dawson City. Top of the world highway. The Kenai Peninsula.

Just relax, don't get to anal about planning, don’t try to see everything (gotta leave some stuff for the next trip), go where you feel like going when you feel like going there, strike up conversations with people, enjoy the scenery and have fun.
  11. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    If you are really coming up this fall, the Mrs.'s and I (along with Team Pterodactly) have been hosting several biker friends from the states this summer and have lots of info on must do's for this area. You are welcome to crash here when in the area too. (We understand life on the road having done eight 3 month trips, and know how nice it is to get a break from camping and $$hoteling.)

(note: currently heading out of town for 3 days)
  12. hongpongfuey

hongpongfuey I'm not dirty yet

Oddometer:
    Ms DSmitty!!!!

Its Chas! I just sent a email. I am in Smithers BC! I rode from SLC Utah starting July4th. I rode to MotoGP, rode to Portland/Seattle/Vancouver/Whistler/then up to Prince George where some local KLR guys sent me due West on Hwy 16 to Smithers BC, a pure slice of heaven. Wonderful hostel here. I am on to Stewart/Hyder, then on to Watson Lake/Whitehorse, another great hostel apparently. I intend to take a train ride from Whorse down to Skagway for fun.
    Then must head to Anchorage for new Conti knobbies at Barbs "alaska leather" then riding up to Denali and perhaps further North.

I am riding solo and loving it!! KTM950 holding up great! Packed like a mule but still roosting on some gravel. Looking forward to more incredible sights and friendly bc/alaska folk.

I lost touch with you! I always thinking of you and how you are doing! Glad you are A Okay and still spunky funky!

I am doing great as you can see! Dont miss Oklahoma too much at the moment!

Hit me back on here or email!

Ciao my Puch friend!!!!!

Chas
  13. chasfactor

chasfactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, I was logged on as someone else, thats not my id. Here is more like it.

DS.. where are you now? What exactly are you riding? I want to know more?
    I wish we could hook up!!
    Chas
  14. chasfactor

chasfactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be heading back down south via Jasper/Banff/GlacierNP/Yellowstone and on to SLC where my truck is waiting for the ride home via Moab/Telluride(Ridgeway?)Durango/Santa Fe/TULSA
    Perhaps we could meet up as you go North!!
    Chas
  15. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    the moto world sure is small...glad to hear your doing great. I will be riding my Suzuki Vstrom, I have a KLR650 too, still have the Puch, sold the KTM And the F3!!!

Let's hook up..

Smitty
  16. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would suggest rain gear for travel North in August.

Keep in touch so the Anchorage locals know when you hit town. USBYGS is always good for a party.
  17. Curtis

Oddometer:
    Why not ride to Skagway and ferry over to Haines and ride to Haines Junction and reconnect with the Alcan. These are 2 of the most beautiful rides up there.

On your way back south take Top of the world and Dawson City for sure.
  18. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Smitty - go for it. I'm the "friend" that foto's referring to. I had a blast, although I did go with one other person. Would I do it alone? Heck yeah. In fact, I'm starting my plans to ride from Seattle to the Maritimes next year on my own. PM me if you need *any* help or information. Also, since I'm in Seattle (and well on your way north) let me know if you need anything from this area, including a place to crash for a day or two. I'll be going to Alaska again in September, but only as far as Hyder, on my way to Banff. Should be a good time!

Colleen
  19. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Smitty.

I'd be happy to go along with you, I've got a wee strom and have been to Alaska before on my 1100GS.
    You mentioned that you would like some company and since I'm a homeless dude with nowhere to be until the Homeless Hodown in September your adventure sounds like something I would enjoy being part of.

PM me if you are interested.

P.S. I'm a mid 40's widower and not too hard on the eyes.
  20. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    So here would be a good place to merge Elefant 900 rad's thread and this one for a stupendous ADV rider Alaska ride adventure.
    Elefant has set himeslf up for a ride on Sunday the 28th. The idea is a ride over Hatcher Pass, then on to Petersville Road, maybe pause for a cold barley pop or sasparilla as preferred, at the Historic Forks Roadhouse. Form up at Carr's (Big grocery store) parking lot in Palmer, about 40 miles north of Anchorage, 9 ish maybe, the usual "ish" rules in effect. Call it 2 hours over the pass, an hour to Petersville road, 3 hours there and back? Maybe longer on Petersville road, depends on the weather. Alternate amybe lunch in talkeetna, the town upon which the series "Northern Exposure" was modeled. Just an idea, it could be an interesting ride. :freaky