FEMALE riding solo to Alaska needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dsmitty, Aug 4, 2005.

1. jkersh1

jkersh1 Live it, or live with it

Oddometer:
    So many nice roads, so little time. In addition to those already mentioned, BC40 between Hinton (near Jasper on the Yellowhead) and Grand Prairie is a beautiful, if desolate, 180km mountain road. Nice connector to get from the Yellowhead to the start of the Alaska if you're doing the Icefields Parkway.

Hyderization? You won't have any trouble getting someone to foot your Hyderize bill =;/ While in Hyder/Stewart, check out the run out to Salmon Glacier, makes the Bear Glacier (the one you pass on the road into Hyder/Stewart) look like an ice cube. The road is about 20 miles varying from not bad dirt to real crap, depending on the weather and road gods, and your tolerance for that kind of thing.
  2. Bill the Duck

Bill the Duck Unwitting Accomplice Supporter

Oddometer:

AHEM...*bullshit*

Here's a little bear advice for you guys. First, they say it's important to not surprise them. One thing they recommend is to fasten something like jingle bells on your clothing. And pepper spray is also said to be effective. It's also a good idea to keep an eye out for bear sign so you'll know if there are any active in the area. Black bear scat is easily recognized cuz it's got berry seeds and squirrel fur in it. Grizzly bear poop is also easy to determine cuz it's full of little jingle bells and smells like pepper.

:D
  3. Rock_93

Rock_93 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's see 5'8" blonde, rides bikes, into adventure travel. I have only one thing to say...........................Will you marry me.[​IMG]
  4. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Are you willing to change the oil in all of my bikes, no griping...maybe we should talk;-)

Seriously though, thanks for the offer, I think the adventure part is probably what has kept me single so long!!! It is a blessing and a curse, I just can't decide what I want to be when I grow up!!! And as I am sure you mother told you..."no one is absolutely perfect, it is just finding the perfect one for you!" Translation for men, "Someone you can tolerate long enough to build some sort of retirement fund!"

Smitty

FOR REAL CONSIDERATION, you must send pictures of your bikes, and any nice tools you might have......;-)
  5. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    Wow.. that's incredibly insightful and wise IMHO. I tried to explain that to a neighbor couple that's been married for 17 years. They don't seem to undersand it's about tollerance of each other. They flat out refust to admit they have issue (who doesn't). Funny part was that not 2 hours before the husband was b*tching to me about how his wife had really just pissed him off but when I was talking to both of them he sort of 'forgot' about that! LOL

At this point my wife and I basiclaly tollerate each other.. it's cool.. I ride, she smokes, we love our kids and for the most part that's what keeps us together under on roof. Life isn't like Hollywood... (if it was I'd probably hang myself).

My bike is heading west as I type, don't know if my buddy and I will have time to hit AK this year.. it's getting late but if we do and we see a 5'8" blond on a bike rest assured we'll at least wave if not buy you a few drinks!!
  6. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    Define Tool :lol3 :lol3
  7. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    My parents have been married 43 years, as they say there are good years there are bad years, the bad ones make the good one worth it!!! Thank god it is not like the movies, that would be so boring...they do set up a lot of people for dissapointment!!

I will take those drinks if we run into each other...I will be heading home through Seattle, and have already had some nice people offer to visit with me. So, maybe we can plan an ADVrider ride, or visit of some sort...
  8. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    If we don't cross paths in AK certainly ping me when you get in the Seattle area. There are lots on this list here (that I'm finding out I know) and we always like to throw a party. Dante and Bluesurf come to mind right off the bat. Hell if you get a hold of Colleen she'll get a hold of me. Lots of cool stuff to do around here too.

Arg.. I wish my bike was here now.. :( At least I have a couple of street bikes to tide me over.. speaking of which I need to go ride.. this working stuff is for the birds!
  9. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Curtis,

If I need to define that for you I can tell we are already into a little bit of trouble;-)

Something strong, dependable, will be long lasting, and worth the initial investment...oh and is reliable for daily use...My tools are used on a regular basis...

Does this help??
  10. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Speaking of tools I still have few parts to put on and pack...I leave tomorrow..
    So, I will check back later tonight, once all my chores are done..

Bye for now....
  11. Curtis

Oddometer:
    Touché

:viking :nod
  12. MWM

MWM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a safe trip. The trooper boys in the south USUALLY give you 9 miles grace over the speed limit, i.e. 79 in a 70. Maybe somebody can tell you if the ones in the north and Canada are the same way.

Super good luck and let us know how it goes! I'm going to try for Mexico or Alaska next summer. :)
  13. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    This guy seemed pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

I even flipped him off and roosted him when I left.

[​IMG]

Bastard called his buddy in the next town...

[​IMG]

Just remember folks, you can't out run the radio :D
  14. Rock_93

Rock_93 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Marriage is like riding a bike. You don't mind carrying them for a while but it is much better if your riding side by side.
  15. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    thanks for the well wishes, I will watch my speed...

I am hoping to head somewhere warm this winter if this trip goes well, oh and I get enough work to cover my trip expenses(small details)!!!

Good luck with your planning, keep us posted!!
  16. Doug Grosjean

Doug Grosjean Writer, Photographer, Dad

Oddometer:
    Smitty,

Here's a URL you can use as a primer for your trip. It's a log of a similar trip I took in 1999:

http://www.ibmwr.org/pastevnt/grosjeanalaska/alaska.html

Started off with a partner, came home alone. Not a problem. If I were female, I still don't think it would be a problem. Bears are something to be aware of, but almost nobody has a problem with them either. Moose, they're scary though! And deadly - they're not afraid of crossing the street at night, and they're dark.

The log above has route, suggested books, tools I took, camping gear. Consider it a free book on one way to do Alaska, and have fun.

While you're gone, I may pass through Ridgway. SO and I are exploring Colorado ghost towns while you're exploring Alaska.

If you want to discuss this on the phone, ping me at doug@douggrosjean.com and I'll give you my number and be glad to talk with you.

It's an epic trip. Biggest caution I could give you: you'll come back changed; it'll be a long time before you take another trip that'll top your AK trip.
  17. Doug Grosjean

Doug Grosjean Writer, Photographer, Dad

Oddometer:
    The adventure part gets me in trouble, too.

You know you've talked too much about thousand mile days, riding in snow, and kayaking off waterfalls when everybody in the room is just sort of backing away from you slowly while keeping a wary eye on you.

Hmmm. Have changed oil for years for my ex. Well, before she became an ex. Changing oil didn't keep her around. Whew!

Photographs of nice tools? Well, I am a pretty good photographer, and composition is half the story when taking nice photos.... ;);) Now I just need to find some nice tools to take pictures of.

<g>

Doug

PS - Showing off now, but I'm serious about nice photos. Take a look at:

http://www.douggrosjean.com/modules.php?name=Gallery

http://www.douggrosjean.com/modules...ame=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

http://www.douggrosjean.com/modules...ame=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Have fun in Alaska and points north. Wish I was going - again.
  18. Curtis

Oddometer:

Not winter but there is a great Horizons Unlimited meeting each year mid October in Creel, Mexico. Turning into a big deal and seems to be doubling each year in size.
  19. jfr

jfr yellowwheels

Oddometer:
    What's truely scary is that they were prolly drinkin' at the time!! :freaky
  20. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    you must be from or hung out in Europe. that way of flipping off would be known there but in Canada?