FEMALE riding solo to Alaska needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dsmitty, Aug 4, 2005.

1. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :huh I see you're roughing it then :D

Smitty, there's a place just north of you on The Icefield
    Parkway on way up to Jasper where you can hike a glacier, worth a visit. Try and catch Athabasca falls if you have the time. If the weather holds you've got a couple of beautiful days ahead of you.

...and where's the pics? :deal
  2. russelldyck

russelldyck n0Ob

Oddometer:
    Yes Chateau Lake Louise is a great place to rest for a few days, I got the chance to spend a weekend there in the winter when the lake was froze over and even got the chance to walk across the lake to the other side.
    And I'd have to agree:nod , go up the parkway heading to Jasper and stop in at the Colomba Ice Fields, I've been throught there a few times but never had the chance to stop and hike the glaciers:cry.
    If you so happen to decide to take the hwy 97 south through BC on the way home, make sure to stop in Quesnel and I'll make sure that there is a cold beer waiting for you, the same goes for any other fellow adventure rider heading north/south, I'd be more than happy to buy a fellow Advrider a beer or provide a night or two of shelter.

Chow for now:wave
    Russ
  3. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Ah - now THAT'S a handy bit of information :ear
  4. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hey Folks,
    I am in Whitehorse, had a trying, fun, exhausting, beautiful, and amazing day!! The details will have to come later...

Jay...Where are you now? Heading back south, or still going North?

Chas...where are you?

Boys in Anchorage, I am going to need a massage referral(professional!!!) when I finally get to town. Saw your ride on the other post, I hope we get a chance to all gather again..

Smitty
  5. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you get to Anchorage stop by the shop, you can change your oil here or whatever you need to do. I have tires too. Barb, Alaska Leather corner of Arctic and Benson in Anchorage.
  6. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    We saw this during our ride...that's fresh snow in the mountains.

[​IMG]

I had to drive down towards Kenai today and the scientifically calibrated Aztek thermometer saw a low of 37F in Turnagain pass.

So enjoy the trip, but plug in the heated stuff, it is that time of year around here, global warming or not. :vardy
  7. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear from you and that you're enjoying your ride. Looks like the weather is not too cold yet.
    I headed south to Vegas to get a 30,000 service on my bike.
    You really need to start a ride report with some pictures.

Miss ya.

Safe travels.
  8. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hey folks,

Carroll, I am heading to the westmark for mexican as soon as I finish, it is 6:00 now. If you get this come join me, I didn't write down your number???

Everyone else, I am doing GREAT, lots of construction, lots of wind, wind wind, did I say wind!!!

I should hit Anchorage tomorrow....yippeee!!!

Alaska is ....I can't think of the words to describe it, they all seem so inadequate...

Smitty
  9. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    ...that'll be the Mexican food :D

Sounds like you're having a blast...where's the pics damn it?

Take care,

Ant
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    ...the coolest. :lol3
  11. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    and getting cooler every day. Barb
  12. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    dito:vardy :vardy

13. chasfactor

chasfactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yo Denise!!

I have arrived safely in SLC! Rode from Ketchum Idaho today. Very nice ride down thru Alberta/BC/Montana/Idaho. Did some fishing and saw a friend from Tulsa in Stanley Idaho! Was great seeing you and spending some very quality time together!!!

Keep us posted and travel easy!

Chas
  14. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Guys I am going to dinner at Orso, it is about 8:45, anyone care to join me I am in jeans a light sweater and long blond hair, eating alone or at the bar I suppose...

Barb, I will probably be by to see you and say hi tomorrow, can't wait to meet you.

I am staying at the days Inn, under Denise Smith, anyone is welcome to call. For the next two nights, then off to a friend of a friend's guest room and maybe some off my offers that came in..

the plan right now is to just hang out, and ride what I feel like but the last 4000 miles as been enough site seeing for me,for a little while!! I am here until the 1st, then i have to ride to Valdez and be at the office at 6:15 in the evening to see if I can get onto the Sept. 2nd ferry. Then off to Washington. If anyone has any ideas of filling my time while I am here just call. I do not neccessarily need to spend all or any of that time on the bike!!

You can try me on my cell too..970-318-1474..

Can't wait to meet you guys...

Smitty
  15. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Hey Smitty, glad your ride is going well, I was thinking about you while riding up north here on the Haul Road. I was hoping to see you along the way somewhere.

After Anchorage, where are you heading ? My rides been pretty wet so far, but still Awesome !! It's all about the adventure.

Don't know when I'll be able to check e-mail again, maybe later tonight or in the morning. I'm heading to Denali Hwy. from Cantwell east, then north to Chicken.

Have a great ride Smitty !!

Rad
  16. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    Welcome To Anchor Town :super
  17. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    DSmitty, glad you made it here safe and sound. Ace just called and sent me this link. I posted an invitation to the Clubhouse for all Gruvers on Saturday in the OTTop forum :freaky . Friar and Gus are riding Saturday all day so they suggested we get together Sunday.....which is cool too.

Anyway, most of us have already expended our available leave/vacation this summer and are back to work. Would like to hook up with you one evening this week or at least this weekend. Left you a message on your cell.

When you see Barb, ask her if shes got the second oil filter for my Katoom....just kidding....I'll buzz her tomorrow.
  18. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    On Sunday, I stopped in at the White Horse in Ridgeway. The girls there all say HI! BTW, while I was there, I also met a guy from Silverton who was just on his way home from a 6 week ride to Alaska and back. He said he just had to make one more stop before the last 20 miles to home so the trip wouldn't end too soon.

Shiny side up!
  19. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hey Everyone...

Anchorage is awesome, had a few days of rest. I am meeting amazing people. Not that I doubted you guys, but you were right. Barb at Alaska Leather is great. She is taking care of getting me a tire and getting it on. And I even got a cool t-shirt!!! Sat at the shop and shot the breeze with her and her daughter and it was cool to talk bikes and chill with two other women who have the same passion as myself, and then some!!!

I am going to hang with the rest of the Anchorage crew tomorrow night at Larry's, can't wait to see his garage, and to see all his tools.

Did the tourist thing today andwentand touched a glacier....pretty sweet!!

Talk to you guys soon,

Smitty
  20. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    You made it and I for one must offer my congratulations for a very successful ride. You are welcome to stay as long as possible.

How was the clubhouse adventure?
    How many tools did Katoomer,,, want to show you?:evil

Did many of the gruvers arrive, to greet you?

I don't think we will meet during this trip, but I am very glad that you completed the feat, and won the prize. And still are happy and healthy.

Ride on Smitty.

Gusgus