FEMALE riding solo to Alaska needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dsmitty, Aug 4, 2005.

1. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    The folks were awesome, I met Larry, Jim, John, Dave, Dennis, Chad, Jeannie, Dickens, I think that was everyone???

It was a great time, they serviced me with expertise!! I might even have to take them as my pit crew for the Dakar! My bike is cleaner then the day I bought it.

Larry was a great host, and his toys are something to be proud of!

I sure wish that garage set up was a little closer to me!!!

I think John might be right when he told me this won't be my last visit.

I am off to the fair today, to see the 147 pound watermelon!

Thanks for all the helpful support and motivation, it has been amazing...

Smitty
  2. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Smitty...
    Glad you had a chance to meet the Groovers and Pterodactyls. I would have been there, but was busy driving Miss Daisy.
    You boys make me proud.
    Ride safely and see you at next year's D2D. Fite
  3. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    It was a pleasure meeting you :arch Glad the boys serviced you good .
    The Dakar pit crew? guess I missed that one..
    We could all ware Speedos at the pit stops for your viewing pleasure…. On seconded thought maybe not. :yikes

Ride On dsmitty :bow

[​IMG]
  4. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Always come to this thread, and think its so great, so awesome, such an inspiration for all ladies, and theres no pics. That sucks.

POST PICS PLEASE
  5. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Just for you Live,,,,

[​IMG]
  6. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gusgus!!!

I am going to post plenty of pics and details of all of the adventure. But, probably after I get home. I know it won't be as good as getting play by play. But, for the most part, i hate computers and they hate me!!! So, I will deal with all of that when i get home, when I have me computer tutor near by for assistance!!

I leave for the ferry tomorrow, if it rains i am going to try and get on the Whittier ferry. If it is sunny, i will ride to Valdez and get on the ferry there. I will arrive in Juneau 2 days later, have a lay over for 2 days and head to Washington. Then from there I will head down the coast over to Yosimite and through Vegas and home!!

I am having a blast, and everyone was right, I am sure I will be back!!

Smitty
  7. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    Smitty, You may want to check the ferry schedules again. I don't think you can get from Whittier or Valdez to Juneau on the Ferry. There are some occasional runs from Prince William Sound (Whitter/Valdez/Cordova) down to Haines and Skagway, but they are few and far between. I don't think you can get from here to Juneau, by ferry in two days under any circumstances. The ride across the Gulf of Alaska can get pretty nasty if you are prone to sea sickness too. Your best bet is to catch the boat from Whittier to Valdez and then ride out through Tok and back to the border and catch the ferry South in Haines or Skagway. Hope it all works out!!
  8. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Swore i saw you heading out passed Eagle River today??
  9. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hey Folks,
    On the 1st i took the Whittier ferry to Juneau, with tickets to change ferries and land in Bellingham. I had it all ticketed and ready to go...THEN, met some people on the ferry, so i decided to continue on to Prince Rupert, grab another ferry and now I am on Vancouver Island!! From here I will take another ferry to Seattle, and I haven't thrown up once!! The crew on the Kenicott, the first ferry befreinded our little group and we got to go on the bridge and check it out, it was very cool!!

The trip is going great, met a couple from Colorado, my home state, and they rode their bycycles up!! They have been on the road since May...And their still married!!!! They were great fun, and they might even ride through Ridgway on their way home.

Hope everyone is doing great....talk to you soon...

Smitty
  10. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :thumb you go whidya badself :lol3

Sounds like fun girl, can't wait for the pics.

take care
  11. chasfactor

chasfactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Denise... i head back out to Utah tonite to ride in Moab for 6 days! Glad to hear the voyage has been great fun!

Ciao! Chas
  12. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    If you haven't been on this island, you should check it out....awesome! I am in VIctoria waiting for the ferry to Seattle, another change of plans. I am going to hit Mt. Raineir then back to the coast, down to lake tahoe, yosimite, Vegas and home...

Hope everone is enjoining their world as much as I am!!!

THIS ROCKS......

Smitty

AND IT IS SUNNY, about F#*$*%king time :-)
  13. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    welcome to my world here in Alaska and then it snows for 6 months:vardy
  14. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Smitty, I know what you mean about the rain up there !!

When you ride south, you should go check out Mt. Saint Helens when you're in the area.

In Yosemite, make sure you make it up to Glacier Point, the view from up there is SPECTACULAR !! They say it may be the most awesome view on earth, and I don't doubt that may be true !! Also, do Tioga Pass into Yosemite, or out of the park. You're going at a good time, the huge crowds will be gone now.

When you're in Vegas, give me a call. I may be working there or close by when you're there. See your PM's for my phone number.

Glad you're having a great time !! Yep, my trip ROCKED also !!
  15. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    Dang.. looks like I missed your transition through our area. Hope you had a good ride and I hope you hit Mt. St. Helens while in the area because Rainer is cool but.. St. Helens is THE place to ride in this area. You can make a 500 mile day out of it alone!

EX: Into the Blast Zone
  16. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hi Everybody,

First, I have to apologize to all my washington/Seattle people who I really wanted to connect with...
    I landed in Port Angeles and just felt a strong pull to the ocean, so that is what I did... I know Seattle is a great city, I guess I will have to plan a ride just to see that city.
    I headed to the coast and sat by the water and soaked in all the positive ions I could manage. I sure do miss being by the ocean, maybe it is time to move to an island!!

From there I countinued down the coast, and got up the next morning to pouring rain!! What a shocker..Like a fool with a mission I kept going to mt. Rainer, and had to buy a post card to see what I had missed!! But, the ride was still nice, through those big trees with no one on the roads. I am sure they were all sitting by a fire somewhere!! Accept the Harley guy with no rain gear on!! So, I wasn't the biggest fool out there!!

After that I headed back to the ocean and and have been cruising the Oregon coast all day, and guess what I just hit sunshine...yipppeee....

I am going to finish up this coast and head into CA to Lake Tahoe, and who knows where...

I hope everyone is living every minute to the fullest...

Smitty
  17. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    Well, if you find yourself in or around Reno by next weekend I'll buy you a drink. I'm leaving here Wednesday night to hit the air races just north of Reno. Taking the Cagiva.. should be a kick. Plan to camp on the way down and back.

Hey.. no worries bout bailing us poor plathetic people in Seattle. our feelings aren't hurt (sniff sniff sniff). Seriously though.. if ya get back up this way you should really ride around St. Helens if you've never seen it. Breathtaking and shocking all at the same time.

- D near Seattle.

PS. Serious about the drink in/around Reno. Oh. .and enjoy Tahoe.. especially the roads around Southshort and Emerad Bay. Take your time, take it all in. Should be low on tourists by now and if you hit it before the weekend even fewer!!!!! :)
  18. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Hey Smitty, nice update. Glad the ferry trip went well and you're enjoying folks along the way. We sure enjoyed meeting you and the maintenance was fun....really! That's what we do. Don't want to pine like Foto but had to send a note to let you know Team Pterodactyl is here for you girl. Wish I was going back to Ridgeway, Telluride, Ouray or Durango! You're a lucky gal!

Take care and remember you're always welcome in Alaska.

Team Pterodactyl and the Fukengruners Hospitality Club....

Katoomer (second from left :rofl )
    [​IMG]
  19. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    G'day Smitty. :wave

Glad to hear that you've been having an incredible time, looking forward to a ride report and pictures when you get settled back at home.

Might want to try and go through Lassen Vocano Park on your way to Tahoe, it's a good route to get down there from the coast.

Safe travels. :smooch
  20. globaldude

globaldude AdrenelineJunkie

Oddometer:
    Hi Smitty and all my Fukengruver buds,

I'm in Kayenta, Arizona after leaving Las Vegas today. Spent an extra day in Vegas getting a new rear tire on my buddy's Honda Interceptor. He had what resembled a racing slick on the rear given the lack of tread, so I thought it best to buy him a new tire and inprove my chances of actually surviving this trip!

Am heading to Ouray, CO tomorrow to meet some friends, continuing to Denver over the next five days for an overnite visit with an old high school buddy, then taking three days to return to Vegas. :D

Smitty, I may be near Ridgeway the night of the 17th or 18th of Sept. Do you think you'll be back by then? Please email or call me when you get a chance. I do not have cell service out here, but the hotel has internet. I'll check it tomorrow before I leave and I'll check it along the way.

Kayenta is on the Navajo reservation, and my cell phone doesn't work here at all. Am traveling thru the Monument Valley National Monument tomorrow enroute to Ouray. Eat your heart out Katoomer, I'll check out your old stomping grounds and lift a toast to your ugly mug! :rofl

Am not missing all the rain back home at all, and so far it it not too hot and toasty. Glen Canyon Dam and Zion National Park were a great ride today, and this little sport bike is sweet. Did most of the day between 85 and 100, with a brief run up to 130, just to see how easy it was. It was, and with saddlebags too.

Gotta cool it tomorrow, I'm going to need my license a few more days. :eek1

Smitty, glad to hear your travels are going well, you've got yourself and epic trip going there lady!

All the best, and look forward to hearing from you. If you returned my call of a couple days ago, and I didn't get back to you, don't take it personally. My phone is not catching all my messages, is dropping some, and I'm getting other folks' messages up to a whole day late. Kind of standard for Anchorage's good ol' Cellular One. Can't wait to get a real cell phone carrier!

Later,

Globaldude