FEMALE riding solo to Alaska needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dsmitty, Aug 4, 2005.

1. machman

machman means well

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are in Lethbridge Alberta if you're interested in a stop-over, and my father is in Watson Lake Yukon. Many a travellor have stayed at both our places and seemed to have a good time. PM me if you're interested.
  2. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Blah blah blah.....you deserved that one buddy! Stick me in the ribs will ya? :rofl

[​IMG]
  3. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hey Everyone,
    I am two days away from home, and getting anxious!! I miss my dog!!!!

I have hit the highway, mainly because, I hate to admit it, I am almost toured out!!! The ride from the Oregon coast was great, sweeping curves, no traffic, no police and NO RAIN and all day yesterday, and all day today, it just doesn't end!!! I went up by Mt. Shasta, The volcanic park, and Tahoe...the roads have been awesome. Road with Daryl Hall on a beautiful VFR, for awhile. And met two women at a gas station that were sure that they knew a guy for a perfect match for me??? A local attorney who rides an Aprilla(sp) of course I had to ask what he rides!!!

Mike, I won't be around when you come through, sorry I have plans.

Larry, thanks for all the support. I can't wait to get back to Alaska...maybe by plane next time!!

Jay, you were right, the park was a nice ride with no traffic, but a little snow!! The summit was closed until 9:00, then I had to wait for it to melt, and then I picked my way through!!

As soon as I get home, get the kinks out, and a few good nights sleep in my own bed, I will get to work on my trip report!! I promise...with all the pics included...

Smitty
  4. ghostdog

ghostdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How is DL650 holding up? Sounds like it must be doing good. Been looking at that model lately and would be cool to hear how the long distance riding was with it. Good to hear it was a successful trip. Looking forward to pics also. :D
  5. RonS

RonS Out there... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good on ya Smitty. Relax though. Remember the most dangerous part of the trip is coming down off that mountain. Take a few deep breaths and kick back. Your home isn't going anywhere and you'll be there soon enough. I remember the last 300 miles of my first return from Alaska. I was thinking that in all the miles I'd ridden over 1000 of them were in the rain and lot of them in mud through construction and road repair areas. I'd kept the bike on the road through all of it and didn't want to biff it now. Made sense to me at the time, right up until the last 20-30 miles from home. Those miles were spent with my speedo reading somewhere in the triple digit range. Pretty stupid in hindsight.

In addition to a trip report you should think about writing an article. Your trip would be an inspiration to a lot of other women (and men as well). You could try to publish it in one of those girly girl mags like Cosmo. Of course you might have to title it something like "An alternative path to orgasm" for Cosmo to publish it. But hey, in a way it is isn’t it?

Have fun.
  6. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    ghostdog, check out the two recent ride reports from guys on DR650's

Kiwi heading to Alaska, by hondav2

Just another Alaska ride, by snowrider (a fellow cheesehead)
  7. geckosan

geckosan Lost but okay with it!

Oddometer:
    Smitty,

Just finished reading all of the responses from everyone else on board, and I've got to say - "RIGHT ON"!! Sounds like a wonderful trip, and I'm sure a life changing experience to say the least. If you are ever in Idaho we've got some killer rides, and I might be down your way sometime soon to see my old stomping grounds- Moab. Looking forward to seeing and reading your pics, but for now get some decompression time to soak all of it up. I just got in to do the Alcan 5000 Rally for next year- whoa have I got some work to get ready for.
  8. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Well now, that's what makes for adventure, eh. It's the unknowns and unusuals that we remember most of our travels.

How many miles total for the trip? :ear
  9. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone,
    Made it home last night at 6 p.m....my dog was glad to see me, yeahhh!! I am unwinding, and will get to the ride report very shortly. I road through snowflakes on Lizardhead pass and rain over the Dallas divide, kind of fitting for the last miles home.

I think it was about 7000 miles, I'll get more exact for my report!

I cannot thank everyone enough for the great support, help along the way, and putting a smile on my face. It truly was a ride of a life time, more to come soon..now I am going to go soak in my friend's hot tub!!

Smitty
  10. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Man, it only seems like yesterday you left :lol3

Glad you're back, safe & sound.
  11. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Ghostdog ,I rented a V-Strom 650 from Alaska Rider Tours in Alaska in August, I put 3877 miles on it. I was pleasantly surprised with the bike, the ONLY issue I had with it is ground clearance, if you're going to do anything more than dirt roads. The bike was extremely comfortable. If I had to choose, I'd go with the 1000 cc model.

If you want, check out my write-up in the ride reports.....Rad's AAA.
  12. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    ghostdog...
    I would agree with Randy on the clearance, although I never ran into trouble. But, I never did anything more then a some pretty average dirt road.

I thought the bike was awesome, I had days I did some really long miles and it sailed right along. Even with 3 givi 45 litre bags, about 50-80 pounds of gear it ran 120, if I needed it to! I was just seeing how fast it could go, if need be, you know to escape a crazied bear or moose!!

The position on the bike was great. I looked at the 1000 but being an inch taller, 40 lbs. heavier and quite a bit more expensive my guys at the dealer steered me toward the 650. they said I didn't need all the extra weight or CC's. That the 650 would be fine, they are not just salespeople, but friends too. And they were right...

Hope this helps,

Smitty
  13. ghostdog

ghostdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great info on the 650. Between you and Rad that is some very 'experienced' advice. My main concern is getting a bike good for the long haul across the country and can still travel the gravel/dirt path when needed. No serious offroading for me (not yet). I've finally come to terms I can't afford a 1200GS or new Buell XB12X, but with all the great praise of the Wee Strom and your travels I think it pretty much seals the deal on Suzuki me. Plus I'll still be able to keep my current bike. And if I do ever make it to Alaska it looks like it will do just fine. These trip reports are inspiring. Thanks!
  14. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    whats up with the ride report :type did you melt in the hot tub, get swiped off your feet by some attorney. You should get a spanking for leaving all of us hanging :pep :ear
  15. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wot he said. We are waiting :getiton or are you :sick
  16. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Okay, okay, there has been no sweeping by any attorneys, nor illness. I will get it done this week. Just by coincidence I met motoflo riding in Moab this weekend!! Such a small world...we met at a gas station started talking about my Vstrom, he just got one. I said I love it just took it 6800 miles to Alaska!! He then asked me if I was Smitty from Adv...one in the same!!!

I love the moto world, it is so huge, but yet so small...

Smitty
  17. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Get to it missy.
    I have been patiently waiting and didn't want to bother you any more than I already have.

P.S. When we going to Mexico?
  18. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Denise,
    Git with it! :deal Sheesh, first you stand me up for a hot tub soak in Fairbanks, and then drift through Victoria and Port Townsend without letting me hook you up with myriad sailing friends and places to stay! What?? Did my phone breath stink?? :D
    Seriously, I'm glad that you're home safely and keeping the peace. But know also that a bunch of AK people are awaiting your take on our great land. Speaking for myself, of course.
    Looking forward to your story, D.
    peace,
    helikron
    :lurk
  19. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:

ummm....motoflow?...LOL.....nope...it was me and my KLR buds...nice to meet you and Rob ....I should've paid attention...we passed thru Ridgeway about 5 pm the next day on our way down to Durango.....hello again from us....

[​IMG]