Fencing Staple punctured my Rear Tire... What to do?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HikerDaddy, Jul 20, 2020.

1. HikerDaddy

HikerDaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a great ride Sunday up near Harrison Hot Springs in British Columbia. On my way back home I ran over a fencing staple which punctured my tire with two holes about 3/8" apart.

I through some air in the tire and it went flat right away.

I've got about 1200 miles on that tire and feel the only option is to replace it or is their another way to truly patch it that I am not away of that will give me another 3000 to 4000 miles ????

I do ride allot of gravel, ride over some good size rocks and washboards
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Which bike/year? Can you just stuff a tube in the rim, or does it have integrated valve stems? If no, then the next part depends entirely where you are on the risk spectrum. How close is the damage to the sidewall? Which tire front or rear? A dealership would never plug any tire. You certainly could take off the rim and patch from the inside. I've known people to stuff multiple plugs into a hole.

At the end of the day, I've certainly plugged tires to ride home. Some plugs have lived happily ever until end of tire. Hindsight, I wonder if the $200 savings was really worth a potential crash.
    Arbolmano likes this.
  3. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    If a regular tube/tire setup, remove the staple and replace the tube. If just two little holes in main tread and not sideway then no issue.
    If a tubeless setup, put in tire plugs if holes are in tread and not sidewall.
    Mumbles24 and Dirty bike like this.
  4. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    There are also smaller diameter plugs available that might make things easier. I'm not a huge fan of Dynaplug kits for normal repairs, but for tiny staple holes, it might be worth a try. LINK

I've had that exact puncture on a front tire, coincidentally in B.C. at the time. I made the mistake of using slime and it was a hot mess. Tire removed, cleaned and an inside patch glued over both holes on the inside was the end repair. That held up for the life of the tire, (~8k more miles).
    Mumbles24 likes this.
  5. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Non-preferred solution: plug both holes. Can use this just to get home or temporary fix. Or as long as you dare.

Preferred solution: remove tire and lay a quality tire patch over the inside of Both holes. I'd think this should easily last the life of the tire.
    Mumbles24 likes this.
  6. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would sticky string plug it. Never had one fail. I keep a tube of patch glue, it makes good string lubricant if the hole is tight.

Rod
    Mumbles24, Arbolmano and JimsBeemer like this.
  7. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Sticky plug to get home, and not too fast. Unless you like risking your neck on tossing a plug, replace the tire ASAP. You cannot treat motorcycle tires like auto tires. One must accept at the outset that motorcycle tires are very expensive when priced per mile, and punctures drive up the cost even faster.
  8. HikerDaddy

HikerDaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike is a 2017 and the tire is tubeless

I ordered a new tire for $250 just to have around and my gf’s bike will need a replacement in the next month anyhow

Not sure where to get an internal patch put in the tire locally and sure with I bought that damn plug kit I was eyeing up on Saturday

3943B2D2-2842-4471-84A5-D9682FE0528E.jpeg
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    You might not find someone who will put an internal patch in for you, so buy a kit and do it yourself. Way more reliable than a plug, I would consider the tire pretty much new after an internal patch.

But everybody has their own asshole, I mean opinion on here, so take it for what it's worth!

What's up with that wierd pic? Inverted?
    Oh wow, that is an optical illusion!
    Mumbles24 and SnoDrtRider like this.
  10. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That tire has way too much life left in it to toss it because of that. If you are worried about plugging it or having a plug fail why not just put a tube in it so you can get the rest of the life out of the tire? A tube can be cheap insurance if you can't get plugs to hold air or worrying about a plug coming out at speed.
  11. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    You said 2017.
    What is it? An 800 or a 700?
    Depending on that whether you can use a tube or not.
    I'm assuming it is a 700 with a mag rim.
    Not sure about 2017, but the valve is on one of the spokes previous years.

Edit

Just looked on the parts fiche, looks like the valve is in the normal spot centered on the rim so you could probably use a tube.
  12. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Inside patch seems waaay easier. Just glue it in and forget!
    Just as good are those little mushroom plugs that go in from the inside, kind of a combination between a plug and internal patch... But with two holes those might not fit so close to each other.
  13. HikerDaddy

HikerDaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the comments and feedback

New tire arrives tomorrow and I’ll install it on the rim.

the other bike has TKC’s that are getting low on tread so i’lL path the Anakee wild
  14. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Dynaplugs are junk. Rope plugs witha Tee handle are great for cars, but I would only do an inside patch on a motorcycle tire.
    heatmizr likes this.
  15. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://teamgrandwagoneer.com/blackjack-12-pc-patch-plug-combo-6mm-stem-wrapped-style/

Take a look at these combination plug/patch repairs. ^^^^
    I've been using these for years and they work great. :thumb

BUT, they require breaking the wheel down to install.
    Not always an easy field repair.

I'm currently running a tire on my GSA that I got back home after doing a plug repair -------- but after I got it back home I broke the tire down and used one of these combination repairs. The tire had lots of meat left on it and I was 2 states away when it punctured.
    Now I get to safely use up all of the tire with confidence instead of wasting that tire.

I go to the trouble to ream the hole out well when installing the plug and/or combination repair. I also use the reaming tool to get a good coating of rubber cement inside the puncture hole.

This would work great for the fencing staple repair.
    With these the puncture hole is both FILLED and COVERED.

Good luck!
    Mumbles24 likes this.
  16. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    For the tiny holes of the staple, a regular sticky string repair will require a lot of reaming.

I have had good results at tire shops by going to the back and asking for an inside patch done telling the guy doing the repair that I'll pay cash and don't need a receipt.
    heatmizr likes this.
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    So HikerDaddy, let us know which option you want with.
  18. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being able to remve the wheel and/or tire yourself goes a very long way when you go that route