Ferry from Florida to Mexico?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Red 5, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Red 5

Red 5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if there is the ferry service from anywhere in Florida to anywhere in Mexico? I'm on the road and using my mobile, so I'm unable to search the threads very effectively. Any info, including schedules, rates, etc. Would be apreciated.
  2. Dan Man

Dan Man ex-adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would highly doubt there is any kind of service of the sort.
  3. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    There was one years ago from Tampa to Puerto Morelos (45min south of Cancun) but was discontinued a long time ago. Your best bet is to find a shipping Company from Florida to Veracruz where most of the shipping onto the East Coast of Mexico goes to.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Or, turn around and ride down. It would be the easiest and cheaper way of getting here.<o:p></o:p>
  4. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, just follow the line of wets crossing the invisible border.

No wait, you'll get hit w/ a $5,000 fine if you don't check in at OUR border check points.
  5. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Good advice. True, there once was Ferry service from FLA to Mexico ... but like over 25 years ago, IIRC. There was also once regular Ferry service from Panama to Colombia. No longer.

You can contact Shipping agent and ADV inmate GastonUSAChile over on the Latin America forum. PM him about shipping info. Best to ship from Fla to Colombia and skip all the hassle of Cent. America ... or see it on the way going back North.

You can fly you bike over or ship it over.
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    That ferry ran from Tampa to Progresso, north of Merida.
    It was based in Maine.
    The Yucatan Express.
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently there wasn't and hasn't and probably won't be enough demand and profit potential for a ferry.
    Consider a sagging economy, elevated operation costs and drug cartel issues and relatively slow transit times and a ferry just doesn't make money sense.
  8. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Consider crossing the Gulf during a decent norte blowing through around 40knots and that'll be the last time you'll take the boat! Norte season runs during November to May. Half a day dicking around with paper work and getting on board, sailing time, time getting off and through US customs and immigration in Tampa, and you are looking at about 3 days in total. Not to mention the expense of vehicle and on board accommodation, it was never going to be very feasible IMHO.
  9. Red 5

Red 5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks anyways
  10. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THe closest thing to that is a RoRo shipment on vessels carrying vehicles and everything drivable. From Tampa, Houston to Mexico. Or shipping consolidated but you have ot crate the bike.

Send me a Pm and I 'll get for you options and cost
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    As already hashed out it is gone and may never be back but it wasn't "that" long ago that it ran & it actually was fairly popular & profitable for the short time it ran. What with an in-law in Tampa, I had grand visions of trailering to FL & making for a quick RT to Mexico! I was down there when it was announced and by the time I retired it was gone.
    There were issues about the port in Mexico that weren't resolved, then the boat sold, which as Lone Rider says was a Maine based cruiser that ran AK RT in summer & the Tampa gulf in winter. I maintain hope that someday, what with the Progresso port improvements that somebody will pick it up again as was -in fact- a great way to avoid the loooooong ride for me to the border and through the lesser desired parts of Mexico. The cost was far less than my my gas & motels to do KY to border , plus you could watch the blue water go by over a cold one . Call me "still hoping" for another cross gulf boat. Whats it cost to ship from FL to Veracruz?:ear
  12. Newfie Rider

Newfie Rider Concentrate Sammy please! LOL Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is not Florida, but welcome to Newfoundland and Labrador. It was nice meeting you and your partner at Canadian Tire in Corner Brook, NL. Enjoy your trip....you are both doing it, what a lot of would like to do but have obstacles in the way.... RIDE THE WORLD!!!!:clap
    Couple of people admiring the bikes...
    [​IMG]
    My daughter suiting up for the ride home after picking up a few supplies for my new man castle.
    [​IMG]

Rick
  13. eSTes1300

eSTes1300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And I'm sorry I never took that boat for the year or two it operated and I lived in the Tampa area. It was cheap and fun. Traffic was ok, the port of Progresso was only accessible at high tide, so the ship had a hard time keeping schedule. Would have been a riders dream, skip all that Texas and northern MX and just get to the good stuff in Yuc.
  14. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    In that part of the Yucatan the roads are straight as an arrow and flat as a pancake.
  15. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Fonatur would be the force to make this happen again - correcting problems and opening it up for even more tourism.