Ferry from US to Mexico?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by kennyanc, Jan 29, 2006.

1. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chris, are you interested in a trip to Mexico in May? I would like to leave about May 10th and stay for at least 2 weeks, maybe more. If I can take the ferry to the Yucatan I will probably go that way. If not, I will probably ride as far as I get in 10-12 days and turn and start for home.

Any idea what the weather will be like in Mexico(Veracruz, Mexico City, Guadalahara, etc. in late May and early June? I am sure it will be warm but how warm?

What say ya?

Kenny
  2. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving in a couple weeks as soon as I can get my work done.:clap Ever determine if the ferrys actually going to be running. That would make a really nice circle trip. Safer too, say my final drive craps out on me in the Yucatan?:lol3
  3. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last word I got was, it's supposed to start up in April 06. The new line is called "TheShuttle" I am on the mailing list so we'll see what happens. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Kenny
  4. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    I got an email from them this AM and they are "not prepared to announce anything" or some such. Keep those fingers crossed -- I hope they pull it off.
  5. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got an email from them. They are working on it but it will not be operating by May 2006.

Kenny
  6. chuckklr04

chuckklr04 Banned

Oddometer:
    Me too!
  7. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chuck! How the hell are you? Sure you can go. I just don't want to spend 2 weeks in Carmargo. I want to see all of Mexico I can so I plan to keep moving. Barring any unforseen get-offs or equipment failures. I would like to leave about May 10-15 and stay for 2-3 weeks.

Which reminds me, did you get your bike fixed? How is it running? I got myself a KLR in December. I am definitely taking it to Baja next year but I don't know if I will take it on the ride in May. Probably be mostly pavement.

I don't know what the weather will be like but I am assuming it will be hot. Any body have any info on the weather the last 2 weeks of May and the first week of June? I will try to ride in the mountains as much as possible to minimize the heat.

Kenny
  8. chuckklr04

chuckklr04 Banned

Oddometer:

The bike is still down. I'm bringing it to a friend's house in two weeks to take the head off. No garage at casa Chuck. Good thing I a spare bike.
  9. rous44

rous44 Long timer

Oddometer:

The old gang is back together again!

A stop in Camargo.........now you're talking.
  10. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    So does this mean you are in?
  11. rous44

rous44 Long timer

Oddometer:

Just got back from Baja yesterday - Broke a toe, ripped off a bag, broke a shock, and got arrested. Had a great trip! More later.
  12. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    This I gotta hear about.:lurk :ear
  13. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Oh man. You really have to work at getting arrested in Mexico. Let me guess -- it must have either involved drinking way, way too much, or pissing on something, right? Unless, of course, you were involved in an accident and they needed to detain you.

I want to hear about this story ;)
  14. chuckklr04

chuckklr04 Banned

Oddometer:
    Wheres the trip report? Don't leave us hanging.:clap
  15. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Busted in Mexioc? The usually pick me up and walk me ever so gently back to my room.:rofl
  16. rous44

rous44 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There isn't going to be any ride report. It would be just the usual pictures of strangers eating fish tacos and drinking margaritas, beautiful deserted beaches, and a few gnarly roads. It's already been done a hundred times.
    The only unusual part is riding the last three hundred miles on a BMW hardtail; shock fully compressed and stuck. An Ohlins of all things. Miss riding with you guys...see you soon.