Ferry Hornopiren to Leptepu

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ian.H, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Ian.H

Ian.H Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will need to take the ferry in Chile from Hornopiren to Leptepu and then from Fiordo Largo to Caleta Gonzalo (all part of Carratera Austral route) at the back end of January 2020.
    I think quite a few guys on here have made this journey so can anyone tell me if you have to buy the tickets in advance or can you just turn up and buy a ticket at the port office.

Thanks
  2. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Did that route northbound in 2016 and bought nothing in advance.
    There were offices in towns where we bought tickets.
    Do your research in the Latin America Forum.

Safe Travels
    Ian.H likes this.
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Did it southbound end of Jan 2014.....didn't do anything in advance..just showed up.....and motorcycles go to the front don't wait in line. It was really enjoyable.....except riding on and off!
    knight and Ian.H like this.
  4. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I did it north bound in Jan 2019. Just went to the office day of travel and bought tickets. A very enjoyable ferry ride...recommend getting there early though..you don't want to miss the boat!!
    Ian.H and knight like this.
  5. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Doing this in a few days time heading north. We bought tickets online (bit of a mission if you try to use amex, use another card) but you still have to pick up the physical tickets at the operators various offices - we're getting our in Chaiten.
    Ian.H likes this.
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Chaiten...the garden spot.....NOT. Lots of volcano dust and not much else. We stopped there and I decided to install the front tire we had been carrying for Colleen's bike. On the seafront four motorcycles came from the south....they were from a town very close to my home town in Preston Lancashire! All that way and I meet Lancashire lads!
    Ian.H likes this.
  7. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Only an overnight stop. After yesterday I'll be happy if it's dry.

[Edit] Have to say, Chaiten is absolutely fine, clearly a small town doing its best to get back on its feet after a major natural disaster. Several places to eat, general stores, ATM, gas, and our accommodation in a wee cabin in the woods is great. Quite happy to be here!:clap
    Ian.H likes this.