Ferry to Colombia!!!

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Chiriqui Charlie, Apr 10, 2012.

1. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Yep, sounds like it's cancelled.

recorrido. El trayecto entre el puerto de Colón 2000 y el puerto de Cartagena en Colombia tomaría unas 12 horas. LA PRENSA/David Mesa
    Hace seis meses se anunció la puesta en marcha del ferry que cubriría la ruta entre Colón, Panamá, y Cartagena Colombia, lanzamiento que generó mucha expectativa entre las agencias de viajes localizadas en el país.

Sin embargo, el proyecto nunca se puso en marcha, y es poca la información que se conoce del mismo.

En las oficinas de Aventura 2000, agencia que sería la responsable de la operación en Panamá, señalan que el proyecto está cancelado hasta segunda orden y desconocen si llegará a concretarse.

En abril, la compañía Panamerican Seaway anunció que en mayo comenzaría a funcionar el ferry, y que el trayecto de 12 horas uniría el puerto de Colón con la terminal de Cartagena.

En ese momento se indicó que el proyecto requería una inversión de 15 millones de dólares, y que solo faltaban concretar temas aduaneros entre ambos países.

Entre los factores que habría retrasado la operación estaría la falta de liquidez que atraviesan los socios griegos del proyecto, quienes eran los responsables de aportar el buque Nissos Rodos, con capacidad para mil 484 personas, 500 automóviles y un área de 2 mil metros para el manejo de carga liviana.

Se tenía proyectado que en los primeros meses de operación el buque movilizaría unas 600 personas por viaje, pero quienes alistaban sus maletas se quedaron con las ganas.

La Autoridad de Turismo de Panamá asegura que desconoce por qué el ferry nunca comenzó operaciones. Este era el segundo intento de unir por vía marítima a Panamá y Colombia. Hace 15 años se estableció una operación similar, pero la misma solo duró dos años y después fue cancelada, pues la empresa se enfocó en otros mercados.
  3. woc4

woc4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CANCELED it's never going to be. !!!!!! google for it you are going to find the cancelation notice. back to the boats !!
  4. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    yoda you speak like.
  5. Yappei

Yappei Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look at the date on your article, a lot has happened since then. Basically, the governments put the kabosh on the project. :cry
  7. Yappei

Yappei Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, your absolutely correct. I should have realized this when I saw the notification. As a guess, it was probably a company promoting itself before it had permissions. I presume trying to find investors in the process or lobbying for something. Typical.

I live in San Jose, Costa Rica and called the company today. Something else I should have done before posting. They were very clear in telling me it never got started.

Too bad.
  8. MaRc_FROST

MaRc_FROST Lacks Credibility

Oddometer:
    The current state of this thread is as useless as the ferry is dead in the proverbial water (as it never saw any... get it?)

Suggest this is closed to further posts in order to preserve what little relevant information can be gleamed from the 26 pages of off topic, political ranting, personal attacks and mis-information.

Should this be the very last post here is a very quick synopsis for anyone trying to peruse:

- THE FERRY IS NOT HAPPENING!!!!! Confirmation emails directly with the company are contained within this thread.
    - Option #1 - FLY between and ship using Girag
    - Option #2 - SHIP - meet up with others in a similar situation and split a container from Colon, people with cars do it all the time and can probably get a bike in there also.
    - Option #3- SAIL with Stahlratte or similar (Stahlratte being the experienced and favoured option), I truly recommend seeing San Blas! As an expat living very close by I can attest to the value added by checking out the 360 some odd islands.
    - Option #4 - POST on this thread an old article, some information heard from the guy who babysits your cousin's dog or other just as reliable source(s) and then become belligerent when people who follow this, and some who live within 30 mins of the port, tell you it is not happening.

Option #4 seems to be the preferred method of choice, a phenomena that leads me to a lack of confidence in the DOT certification.
  9. ADV Fool

ADV Fool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nicely done. . . . . . :ear. :rofl

10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Yeah... well, this being the Latin America forum, and this being advrider... wtf, dude. Like we give a shit about closing useless threads? This thread isn't useless. And any stupid ff who reads it and thinks there might be a ferry probably deserves to get an ass-handing.

This being the Latin America forum, derived from the once-upon-a-time when all the Latin America was part of Outer Darkness, which meant that threads about Latin America were lumped in with threads about Australia and Africa.

This being the Latin America forum, wtf, it's not all about education. It's also entertainment. Infotainment.

If you really want to know shit, you have to actually go there and see for yourself.

Me, I know that you can't believe anything you read on the internet, or see on TV. I'm a perfect example: a few days ago, I was on the local news, and they gave me a title of "Cattle Farmer." Obviously, my real title is "Advrider God." So there I was on TV telling people why they should vote early. I was actually completely full of shit.

There- how'd I do. Political rant, insults, conspiracy theory, personal attack: did I miss anything?
  11. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    Nah, you got it all covered.

Wait, I forgot how about some bigotry remarks. We can always ship them on the magical ferry to nowhere.:lol3

I can't believe that now your a political consultant/pundanat. How's the pay?
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    My dad- he lived his whole life, from when he was 19 until he died this summer, half in Panama, half in Wisconsin. He married my mother, who is Panamanian. My Panama family is mixed with just about everything. For example, my grandmother was born in Jamaica. So I'm part Black, part some-kind-of-Latin-American-Indian, and part White. My sisters, three of them, are each married- one to a guy who claims to be African American, one to a guy who's half Swiss, half Trinidadian, and one to an Italian from Detroit. So one of my sister's husbands, the one who claims to be Black, says to my dad, "Max (I'm Max Jr, and they call me Moxie), YOU ARE PREJUDICED." So my dad says to him, "If you'd lived with 'em as long as I have, you'd be prejudiced too." Me, I have thick skin. You can call me just about anything and I'll probably agree with you. Just don't call me a Republican.

In Panama, once upon a time, I was a for-real consultant. (This is actually true.) I had a job working for Merrill Lynch and my title was "Relationship Manager." My role, my actual what-I-did, was to consult with the Panama Government on how to manage their external debt. The pay was obscene.
  13. makinwaves

makinwaves Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. I'm looking for information regarding the ferry between Panama and Colombia. I heard you can take a ferry now and am really interested. Where do I catch it and how much does it cost? So cool, can't wait! And can't believe they actually have a ferry running now!!! Thanks in advance for any info!!!
  14. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey makinwaves, why don't you just read a little of this thrtead??:huh
  15. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    Charlie, I went back through the whole tread and counted 6 pictures of different boats in 385 posts, you know what they say "If it has pictures it must be TRUE". :rofl
  16. makinwaves

makinwaves Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Hey Charlie...I was just trying to be funny and stir the pot a little. This thread has been too funny to just let it die.

Cheers. :freaky
  17. Nttra

Nttra My english is not very good looking

Oddometer:

I think the very same. I guess the economic costs and frustration going border crossing each country and the Darien Gap TWICE (since I somewhat expect to return home someday), outweigh shipping From point A to B.

That's why I decided to ship the bike, and myself from Miami straight to Colombia, and spend the savings on coffee and relaxing at the mountains and the beaches at that paradisaical country. From there I expect to head down all the way to Tierra de Fuego, take the due picture, and go back to Buenos Aires, and decide there where to go next.
    :freaky
  18. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

IMHO skipping Mexico and Central America is a huge mistake !!! You have no idea what you would be missing .
    If border crossings are frustrating or not ,depends exclusively on you and your attitude .
    Then again if it's just about getting from A to B in order to take the "due picture" and get the hell out from there......:hmmmmm:hmmmmm:hmmmmm
  19. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more, borders are just part of the play, just allow yourself plenty of time so no stress and treat it as an excursion rather than a job.
  20. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    You are making a huge mistake to skip Mexico and Central America!! We were over 10 weeks in Mexico and just scratched the surface. We only left because we have to eventually cross the Darrien. Guatemala' s riding /sights/people are amazing. El Salvador is tiny but awesone. Nicaragua and Ometepe are must see spots. We are currently in Costa Rica. We had originally planned a quick exit from Guatemala and thankfully we listened to GuateRider.

Sara