Ferry to Colombia!!!

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Chiriqui Charlie, Apr 10, 2012.

1. CartagenaPirate

CartagenaPirate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in cartagena, If anyone needs any assistance I have lived in Colombia and rode here for the last 3 years. I have some good insite to offer.
  2. Gabeslaw

Gabeslaw Take the Challenge Ignore the Assholes! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My question is this....I am debating taking the Ferry in your town over flying my bike from Medellin. How much gas and minor expenses do you think it is from Medellin to Cartagena. I wonder if I will spend the same $$$$ in gas, food, hotel if I drive directly to Medellin from Ecuador is it about the same if I fly it to Colon, Panama?

I guess my question is it more economical to push past Medellin to Cartagena Ferry to Colon or stopping in Medellin to use Guirag to fly my motorcycle to Colon.....There! Cual option es mas barato?
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    $1,000 via Girag from Medellin to Panama and probably $70 for airfare assuming you use VivaColombia.

I doubt it will cost you more than $300 in fuel, lodging, and foods between Medellin and Cartagena. You can get a nice 3-stars hotel in BocaGrande of Cartagena for $60 a night if you book through hotel.com I think Medellin-> Cartagena is 2-3 days ride if you decide to fly through.

In the end, I imagine it is cheaper to take ferry unless you can find better rate on shipping your bike. I got the shipping price from ADvrider who shipped her bike from Medellin to Panama last Oct.
  4. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    WOW! I thought it would be around $500 to $700 and my Harley is larger than most Jap bikes. I am going to call Girag to get a quote. I have their number in Medellin and I speak Spanish. Lets see what they say but from what you told me its cheaper to drive forward to Cartagena for half of what it would cost to fly. Can you ask your friend if she has a number or contact with Girag that i can call in addition to the general number that I have????
  5. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Send PM to Travelbugblues That is where I got price info from. Like you, I thought it would be cheaper than shipping from Bogota because Medellin is closer to Panama.. I was surprised to hear the price.. and she said she had no choice because she was pressured for time to be at friend's wedding. Her bike is only 250cc!! You might have better price/luck than her but I dunno? :dunno
  6. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    If you get a price quote by phone from Girag, you'll be the first.

Most riders use Girag out of Bogota, not Medellin.

This is a detail to worry about once you get to Colombia.

If you want a real adventure, do what Cruthas did, in reverse, on the Pacific side.
  7. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    I found this video in the Ferry's web site......film can make a fat woman sexy! LOL!

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/112227699" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/112227699">FERRY XPRESS CONOCENOS</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user34584822">Marcel Sancho</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Just in case the video does not show up here is the link......looks like a Miami Caribbean Cruise liner...LOL!

http://vimeo.com/112227699