FESTIVAL OF TENTS - TN, Hohenwald. Oct 1 thru 4

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Platypus-3in1, May 25, 2020.

1. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:

ADVENTURE TOURING CAMP & RIDE

This is going to be a spectacular ride folks! Rider support truck all 4 days, different camp site every night, all logistics with lodging and trip planning already covered, fees all inclusive minus food and gas, your luggage/gear transported and waiting for you at next site so you can travel light on the bike, freedom to ride your own ride vs being put in a group with leaders/sweepers determining pace and rest stops, gpx routes provided which have been pre run and tested for maximum enjoyment...all at the cost of 1 day hotel and food. What's not to love? I hope to see you all on the trails at at the campsite. This one is not to be missed!

covid ANNOUNCEMENT

This Event Ride will not cancel!

This is not a Rally!
    We do not have entertainment, beer, food or live music!
    This is a Ride!

We will be outside, deep in the country on country dirt roads, sleeping away from each other in tents. It is suggested that everyone follow guidelines that are set forth by order of this current Administration.
    Please familiarize yourselves with these guidelines before coming.

Bring whatever makes you fell safe as far as sanitizing wipes for toilet seats, sinks, showers, doorknobs, so on and so forth.
    DO NOT FLUSH those items anywhere we go! Use Trash Cans!

I will NOT cancel this event!
    (Tennessee will have to pass a law to shut it down for that to happen!)
    We will of course obey State Laws and Mandates to safeguard ourselves and others but as far as I’m concerned, covid can go back to ____ !

Lets Take a Ride!

Wednesday Night Fall Hollow Campgrounds and B&B / 1329 Columbia Hwy, Hohenwald, TN 38462.

Thursday Night Buffalo River Resort Campgrounds / 3520 North Highway 13, Lobelville, TN 37097.

Friday Night Heartstone Campgrounds / 200 Toll Hollow Rd, Waynesboro, TN 38485.

Saturday Night Battleground Campgrounds / 69 Jordan Rd, Tennessee 38376.

Then Back To Fall Hollow B&B Campgrounds for extraction. RV’s, Campers and other Big Rigs staging from Fall Hollow will need to make arrangements with the campgrounds to leave your rigs there while you are gone. All Trucks with Utility Trailers that tow in bikes are covered in the Event Registration for Tent Camping and secure parking while we are riding.

FOUR DAYS OF RIDING

Thursday 1st DAY ONE 140 +/- MILES
    Friday 2nd DAY TWO 130 +/- MILES
    Saturday 3rd DAY THREE 143 +/- MILES
    Sunday 4th DAY FOUR 160 +/- MILES

Gear Transported. Keep it light guys, think TAT! Bring what the average person packs in Panniers and on their bike for a TAT Adventure.

Extraction & Roadside Assistance. If assistance is given you will be taken to the nearest Gas Station or the next Campsite on Route where you can fix your bike or arrange for a pick up.

GPS Tracks.
    AMA Sanctioned Ride.
    AMA Fully Insured.

AMA categorizes this as a Ride, NOT a Rally. Everyone feeds themselves! Two out of four campgrounds are little more than a field with bathhouses.

Daily, kickstands up at 9AM! I will be pulling out shortly there after. If you miss the truck you will be responsible for transporting your own gear to the next Campsite!

These are County Roads and we are ambassadors to the sport! (Pull out from camp in groups at safe speeds keeping the noise down, common sense will do!). Only Registered, Insured Bikes with Valid Drivers License and Appropriate Riding Gear on this one guys! This Is Not A Hair On Fire Ride!

There are NO REFUNDS! Why? Well, we are prepaying, spending and renting a lot of things out of our own pockets to make this all happen for everyone and I can't get it back! So, if you commit and pay, your money will be spent "on you" in advance!

Lets Have FUN! Lets Take a Ride!

https://www.eventbrite.ca/o/lets-take-a-ride-30365523094

Tickets on sale now! $85.00 per person. The cut off is 200 people (All three campgrounds are working with us to accommodate this number. If we should reach it port-a-jons will be rented to offset the lines to the permeant shower-houses) ... The Go-No-Go number is 20 tickets sold! ... If you register/pay and we do not get the full 20 people needed, you will receive a full refund at time of event cancelation. If and WHEN we get 20 tickets sold then it is OFFICIALLY ON ... At that time I will buy all the insurance and other necessities for this ride to happen and from that time forward all refunds will be closed. Lets Take a Ride, Lets Have FUN!

Check out some of the videos in these PLAYLISTS to see a few of the roads we will be riding. These are all "Scouting Missions" so not all you see here will will make it into the finished GPS Tracks ... I have one full day (the second day) to continue proof riding and I want to re-ride Day one before I make the tracks public on letstakearide.com (Tracks should be up in a month or two for downloading) ... This is for Big GSA's and Little 250's it's about FUN!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcy2t3LSqc7trDeFMK7g5jWAVb2r8aLUd

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcy2t3LSqc7vIpHuR2ViGl1-_fi6i1Vng

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcy2t3LSqc7sDz5NYDZztcRyMLfjBITj-
    Elad likes this.
  2. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

All three campgrounds are working with us to accommodate up to 200 riders.

Sept 18 ... We have a great group of people going! I'm looking forward to meeting all of you out there! This is going to be FUN! Lets Take a Ride!

Each Colored Section Represents a Days Ride With Campgrounds At Beginning & End.
    Beginning on the right middle of the map; we will start the journey on the green line from Fall Hollow Campground going North (counterclockwise).

Green / Thursday 1st DAY ONE 140 +/- MILES
    Red / Friday 2nd DAY TWO 130 +/- MILES
    Green / Saturday 3rd DAY THREE 143 +/- MILES
    Orange / Sunday 4th DAY FOUR 160 +/- MILES

[​IMG]
    norton73 likes this.
  3. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    I'd say I have 3% to 4% left to confirm and these tracks are solid!

This was Day 2 of the upcoming ride.
    The weekend before I rode it with Tyler Trimmer and we found a few roads that were questionable so I re-worked it and we went again (Jon, Rob, Cody and Dave joined me on this one).
    It was FUN! It flows very well.

This road, none of us have ever ridden so I took it very slow not knowing what to expect. Its a GOOD ONE!

The first video here is one of the creek crossings. The other two is a dead end on one of the scouting missions.
  4. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. citationman

citationman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When are you going to be posting tracks? This ride looks like a lot of fun!
    Platypus-3in1 likes this.
  6. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Thanks Citation Man & Soon is my favorite answer!
    (Citation ... being an old FAA A&P Mechanic I bet I can guess where you got that name :)

Yes, it is a lot of FUN!
    The Tennessee Southern Discovery Spring & Fall Rallies were here for about three years using some of these same roads. That ride had around 200 to 250 people showing up and it was a BLAST!
    Currently there is a long running rally (with same number of riders) using some of these same roads by BMW Club of Nashville & F. Lee Waggoner you may have heard of it "RIBFEST".
    Festival Of Tents (I'm capping it at 200 riders) will be riding thru these same counties going North, very close to Loretta Lynns AMA event grounds then down to Alabama (Pickwick Lake) and back.
    Again these are GREAT roads!

Since Spring of this year I've posted the TRACKS on the .com a few times only to find out later I had to re-route a few roads.
    I currently have two roads to go inspect on day 3 and I have three roads on day 4 to check out.
    I'd say I am 97% ready to post tracks for public consumption.

However, this weekend the temps are hitting 89 degrees with some crazy humidity and I just don't wanna. Summer is HERE!
    For the Festival Of Tents Event I have given myself till mid September to get-er-done but I do suspect these tracks will be there sooner than later!
    The TRACKS are free to anyone that wants them. I'll be linking them on the header of letstakearide.com when they're ready.

I am working under the model set by Mr. Utah Sam Himself on his TAT (Trans American Trail), by selecting all open legal roads and open public easement roads.
    When they look questionable (washed out bridges, water crossings deeper than a foot, local activities or illegal gates) I am simply re-routing us away.

This has all actually worked out to our advantage "every" time as I'm finding better roads to use.
    That is actually the hold up right now on the tracks! I'm still finding better gems to add in for the final opening.

NOTEs: To everyone going, do me a favor, get your tickets as soon as you feel comfortable doing so! I have a number of restaurants I need to warn about stocking food for us, campgrounds that are wanting to know how many I'm bringing as early as I can (so on and so forth). For me, this is our first Open Event we've done (plenty of Group Rides yes but) being the "first" you can imagine how waiting to the last minute to see who all are going is a crazy adventure all by itself ... Thanks Guys!

covid19 ... we are riding all day and sleeping in our own tents, Keep 6 feet apart and Lets Ride (rain, covid or shine, its ON)

If you can only make certain days just make sure you are at that days campgrounds ready to ride by 9AM
    fredharpua likes this.
  7. citationman

citationman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are correct on the first assumption and I have done the discovery Rally 2 times and enjoyed it. I am going to do my best to attend the Rally in October Job allowing. Thanks for your work to get the routes together.
  8. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'll bet that Jon Buffington and I have met you out there!
    He and I are working on more than this one Event at the moment ... I'm posting up some "ENDURO" videos over on our FB Group Page that are NOT the Festival Of Tents ADVENTURE DIRT TOURING EVENT RIDE ... These “ENDURO” & other Events (videos) will be rolling out over the next few years if everything goes as planned ... If work prevents you from attending this one, we plan on doing it twice in 2021 and "BOOM" rolling out some new ones ... I hope to see ya there!

CAP'T JON HARD AT WORK
  9. salty_dog

salty_dog Trips near Attala, WMAs and Central MS dirt roads

Oddometer:
    I am hoping to join you. Holding that week available on my calendar. Looks like a well organized event.
  10. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Thanks Salty Dog!

Hope to meet you out there Salty!
  11. Dirt Roads

Dirt Roads Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got my ticket!
  12. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    AWESOME .... Looking forward to it!
  13. oldskool63

oldskool63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planning on this ride!
  14. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    You've tasted some of this dirt on the Tennessee Discovery Ride out there ... You're Gonna LOVE It! ... I have connected a number of those same roads with a whole bunch of new roads that makes a LOOP all the way up to the Loretta Lynn AMA Enduro Races Campgrounds & then all the way down into Alabama ... A Big 4 day loop that takes us back to our trucks!

If everything works out. I'm considering extending it in 2021 to a week long event as I've got a LOT of connecting dirt (some in LBL and some into Mississippi and back) ... Time Will Tell :)
    Dirt Roads likes this.
  15. Dirt Roads

Dirt Roads Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome!
    I like how you think.
  16. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    FESTIVAL OF TENTS / VIRTUAL-PRE-RIDE

At the start of this year 2020 I began mapping and scouting this ride out.
    This should give a pretty good Idea of the process to bring it all together & this upcoming ride ...

UPDATE: The FESTIVAL OF TENTS Tracks will be going online one to two weeks before the ride for download.
    By 2021 these tracks will also go up on letstakearide.com

GETTIN-CLOSE
  17. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    BONUS TRACKS
    THIS IS NOT THE FESTIVAL OF TENTS RIDE EVEN THO SOME OF THE SAME ROADS ARE IN THE FESTIVAL OF TENTS.
    ITS A COMMUNITY SET OF TRACKS TO SIMPLY ....... RIDE!
    THESE TRACKS ARE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD NOW.

[​IMG]

I put this together as a gift to the DS Community. Specifically with the bigger displacement bikes in mind. For the most part, these are Well Maintained Graded Dirt Roads that parallel HWY's connecting small towns across the Mid-South. It's more of a Scenic Touring Ride than anything else! The focus is on Rural Country Dirt Roads and the FS Dirt Roads in between.

As I'm writing this NOBODY has ridden it yet! As a community I am asking that we make it a great ride by sharing our discovered information about it. Let me know what you find and I'll make changes as the Journey unfolds. (I'm getting feedback on FB Lets Take a Ride Group / letstakearide.com and ADV Rider) I'll be printing up some maps for those who want to carry them along with information thats not readily available to offline mapping apps or for those unexpected electronic failures.
    Enjoy the Ride! Share the Ride! Lets Take a Ride!

FESTIVAL OF TENTS
    Get Your Tickets and I'll see you there!
  18. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the longest stretch between gas stops?
  19. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Hey Greasy! Long Time!

I do not know the answer!

I am putting on the Festival of Tents Ride in four weeks then I'm going to start scouting this new creation / Graded Roads Tour.
    I have only mapped the gas stops by way points.
    I'll be logging the actual real world mileage as I go.

Assuming you are talking about Graded Roads Tour
    The Festival of Tents is easy. I've got it set up for the 2 gallon bikes to make it to the end.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  20. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really cool thing you are doing here! See what I can swing for time off.
    fredharpua and Platypus-3in1 like this.