Fin and MechanicO: Last Boat To Cuba

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by FinTec, Feb 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. gianttrack

gianttrack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F'in' great ride report Fin! (See what I did there?) I read your entire build report on MechanicO, as I recognized him from the Ouray KOA last year. (I was one of Dusty's crew.) Wish I had read the build report before I met you--I just thought you were crazy instead of crazy talented. Living vicariously through you!
    Dave
  2. juanro22

juanro22 n00b

Oddometer:
    When we were there a couple years ago, we heard on the radio that some old russian semiconductor factory was being converted to solar panel production... would love that the project had come to a fruitful end, but lost track of the news...
  3. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best thread on ADV right now
  4. MacG

MacG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job on the report Fin! REALLY enjoying it.
  5. scudo

scudo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good work on your report Fin, I can imagine it does take a lot of effort to write these reports, thanks I'm enjoying it. I see you have a Moskomoto Backcountry duffle on your bike, how have you attached it to your seat, as I can't see any straps over the top of it. I have just bought one, but who knows when I will be able to use it.
  6. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big party in Cuba tomorrow - end of Semana Santa! - Enjoy
  7. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Great RR Fin, much appreciated!

Unizuki ... jajaja!
  8. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated! Thx.
  9. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    First, they don't call @JamieZ for beers & scotch and now this ?!?
  10. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol. Ok. Tied for best. Maybe I just got all caught up in Cuba!
  11. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
  12. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, Fin,
    I have completely forgot for the past two hours that I was gonna go out to look for some dinner, while sitting at a hotel room on a work trip, reading your RR and drooling... over food sometimes too :photog

What an incredible journey so far! I remember finding your thread a while back and dropping a tear reading about this being the last voyage of the Rat to Cuba... but now, at least I could see a few shots from it. Now...

Ladas... Papo's Lada has an air conditioner! That was unheard of back in the day when I first got to drive one. When I was 12 or 13, my grandfather had a VAZ-2106 (or Zjiguli, and then numerical model without "210" at the front), which was a predecessor of 2107... and those early models were never called "Lada" back in the immediate USSR, only the early exported models as far as I know. I couldn't reach the pedals then, so Gramps just said: "you get the steering wheel and the shifter, and I'll do the pedals" :pynd Another friend of mine, his father had a -2101 model... which in the country was kindly dubbed "Kopeyka", or "Penny" for being the model -1.

Now, I many times heard that a lot of cars were re-engined in Cuba... is that a modern auto-start button I spot in the photo on page 8?!

All in all, "Ladas" were probably still for the upper middle class back when I was little. Not many had them at all. Forget about Volgas and alike...

Your camp site on the beach is where it's at! Brings back amazing memories of my first ride down Baja, Mexico! I miss it so!
    Keep the Cuba coming! :lurk

Lovin' it! :bow
    juno, liv2day and dano619 like this.
  13. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    Great RR and story !
  14. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i used to have a lada niva, an extraordinary mini-sized suv (way before the term was created). i also drove a few fiat cars and a friend of mine had ferraris. few things which tied all those cars together where vent ports, switches and door handles. they were there same on all those cars! the mother of all was fiat.
    flying.moto likes this.
  15. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your pics of Varadero. Did Christmas and New year there in 2015. I regret not bringing my license with me and renting a bike.
  16. RacingBlue

RacingBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better late than never to start reading this one!

Cuba has always been on my bucket list, now I think it just got higher. Can't wait to read the finish.
    dixda likes this.
  17. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is great Fin !!! Thank you for the inspiration !!! I wish somebody will see the opportunity and Stahlrats place will be filled in shortly as a carribean adv cruiser . Seriously who's going to take us to Cuba and around the Darien gap to Colombia and back ?
    Safe and happy adventures brother !!!
  18. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s been a week since Fintec’s last update. Bandwidth and internet access are probably scarce.
  19. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree. I’m surprised Jaimez had connectivity while camping. Surely I’m not the only one checking Fins and Jaimes reports at least a dozen times a day. I gotta get a life.
    garfey and dixda like this.
  20. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    :photog