Fin and MechanicO: Last Boat To Cuba

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by FinTec, Feb 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you're relatively uninjured and Mechanico is in good order. Hopefully the wrist isn't too banged up and you're back to good in a day or two.
    Golden955 likes this.
  2. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really fantastic RR Fin, loving your stories, your pics and your bike! Hope you heal up quick!

Cheers,
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Great riding in the whole La Huasteca area of Mexico.

That and Real de Catorce
    Golden955 and ScotsFire like this.
  4. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I mentioned before, I have broken wrists before and know what to expect. If broken it will swell up and hurt so bad you cannot even hold a pencil. And this becomes obvious within a few hours of the accident, not right away. So I chilled at Freedom Shores for the day and waited to see what would happen. Stayed sore all day, went to bed, got up…..and still just a sore wrist. No swelling, pain, or bruising at all. And did not hurt too much holding the bars on the bike. I little wincing when pulling in clutch, but manageable. Man was I relieved. I told Thelma I would not need her doc to look at it and I would be leaving that morning.

I also made the hard decision to not do the alternate path home with routes over to the Pacific coast. With a bum left wing I was just now not in the mood. And as I have mentioned before, this was never a Mexico trip, but a Cuba trip, and I met that goal. I always knew this but after talking to Jamie and Amit, a dedicated trip for Mexico is the only way to go. So I will be back to do it right. And another ride report!

So I am afraid to say, things accelerated pretty fast from here. I left Isla Aguada that morning and ripped and burned right around the Gulf of Mexico route I had pretty much done before.

As I packed to leave I found this stowaway on my right pannier just hanging out waiting to go. Good luck sign?

PXL_20210420_111928645.jpg

One last Taco lunch on the road. Will miss these.

IMG_20210421_121324_01.jpg

Another stop for shade at a very elaborate roadside memorial for someone named “Senor de Tile”.

PXL_20210420_153316495.jpg

In Veracruz hit my favorite camping spot again at Coco’s

PXL_20210421_002858212.jpg

PXL_20210421_002830637.jpg

And of course my two buddies were there to say hello again

PXL_20210421_121808428.jpg

So there you have it, a fast trip through Veracruz, Tampico, and then across the border at Raynosa, MX.

Before the final leg into the USA, had to stop into this building again and get my $400 back from the TVIP (Temporary Vehicle Import Permit) I purchased when coming in.

PXL_20210422_200736957.jpg

And then the final leg over the Rio Grande, through the US checkpoint, and into Texas

PXL_20210422_202734798.jpg

I have to admit I had two emotions at this point: 1) I had made it back home and was VERY happy to be on my home countries soil. 2) This was the end of the trip and that was a bit depressing.

However, being back in the US allowed me to do something I had been craving for weeks now, go have a huge cheeseburger, fries, and a coke. WhataBurger was able to assist in this goal. And it was good

PXL_20210422_233344419.jpg

And so it ends. Here I am at my truck and trailer in McAllen, Texas.

PXL_20210422_210250859.jpg

Was able to load MechanicO and head out that afternoon for my 2.5 day drive back to Colorado.

It is important to me to wrap up and conclude this ride report. So many ride reports seem to ramble on and then even just fade away. I really wanted to make sure I “put a bow” on this guy and gave it an end.

That said, I will be right back with three amendments I want to make to this report:
    1. Answer some of the questions asked here (ask now if you have more)
    2. Give a breakdown of the trip with some of my opinions and conclusions
    3. Post the last interviews I did in Cuba. JamieZ will be up next
    And so with that, thank you everyone for following along. Even though a lot of work I am now appreciating the “journal” of my travels I am sharing with you. Until the next odyssey!

Fin and MechanicO
    Will Rogers, LM15, red bud and 90 others like this.
  5. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gonna miss your updates!! Thanks for sharing your travels!!
  6. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations and well done. Thanks for bringing us along on the ride.
  7. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Was getting worried your wrist was broken and you couldn't type.
  8. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report...but I have to know how many times you used that big ass hatchet on this ride.
  9. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome home Fin, that was one heck of a ride, thanks again for sharing your adventure :thumb
  10. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks as well. I'm looking forward to your conclusion updates as well as a potential RR with a proper tour of Mexico in the future.
    Happy to hear your wrist fared well and managed to finish your ride in style.
    Drive safe.....
  11. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyable RR, Fin. Keep 'em coming!
    orv likes this.
  12. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    What a great report.
    So glad you mentioned will be another report to come once you head back south for a
    “ Mexico” ride/adventure/tour.
    Thanks for taking the time to present it to us.
    Much appreciated.
    BB
  13. CapitalG5

CapitalG5 Undecided Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been an enjoyable trip, Fin! Thank You so much for an excellent RR and Welcome Home!
  14. Bapeter11

Bapeter11 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a fantastic RR! You ambassadored USA well on the trip. Cant wait for more posts!
  15. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome back, I've really enjoyed following along and especially your interviews.

I'd love to buy you a beer or a cup of coffee and hear more in person.

John
  16. Meatn'taters

Meatn'taters Not any more Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Fin - enjoyed your RR very much. Travel safe.
  17. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Taddw, that was a great event in Buena Vista and thanks for the kind words. I ended up riding home from that with no clutch cable! Made for a long grindy ride.

I found some of the Casa Particulars by notes and recommendations from others in the group that had been to them. However, my primary method was using AirB&B. When I had cell signal. I do think if I asked people would drop there masks. I let them choose. Rode through Pinar Del Rio twice but did not spend time there. Looked like a nice place.

This comes up a lot so I am going to answer in the next post with some of my conclusions.

Dave, small world indeed! That was a great advanced clinic in Ouray. If anyone is interested in some great moto training with these bigger bikes check out West38Moto.

scudo, yes, I very much like this Mosko 30L duffle. Perfect for the back of the bike. I use it for what I call my "Home in a bag" as it holds the tent, sleep bag, air pad, and chair. All the things I need to make a home. If I check into a hotel, I never have to open it. I use two 1" Rox-Straps in a cross pattern to hold down onto seat. But the way the duffle works you don't see the straps because the two "beaver tail" flaps on top cover them.

I never received any direct comments from any Cubans on the trip about the patch. But I do think people noticed and I hope appreciated. However, it might explain why some Cubans would start talking a million miles an hour to me right away, ha!

I asked one of the Casa owners this exact questions. What I was told is they have a special "deal" and contact at the local larger hotel that caters to tourists and are owned and run by the state. These hotels tend to be well stocked and have the items they need. A little grey market I suppose.

In situations like this MechanicO is actually very apologetic as he thinks it is his fault. And of course he does not like being on his side. I have to convince him my decisions and actions are what caused this accident.

Tagman, the Double Take mirrors are fantastic and please pass on how much they work for me. The only gripe I had was the ball mount on the bottom was rubber coated and they would deform and go out of shape easily. So a company called Moto Manufacturing makes a solid aluminum ball mount for the mirrors.

Ha, used it three times to drive in tent pegs (back side is a hammer). Never a chance to cut any wood and start a fire.
  18. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your ride with us :thumb
    ozmoses likes this.
  19. MacG

MacG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report! I appreciate the work you did to share your trip, thank you!
  20. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I like your style.