Finally Brought Her Home

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Gypsyangel, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Gypsyangel

Gypsyangel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, my new bike got here Wed. but due to work I had to wait till today to bring her home. The seller arranged transport all the way from Kansas for only $130. We just had to meet the transporter at NPA Powersports Auction. We wanted to go inside to check the bikes out sooo badley,but there was no parking and we figured we'd better just take the bike home. It's just as the pictures showed it to be and it did fire right up at the auction.

Here's Dan loading it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30% chance of rain my arse!!:(

[​IMG]

Ridin' home YAY:clap

[​IMG]

More to follow....
  2. Gypsyangel

Oddometer:
    Okay, once we got the bikes rearranged to make room for the new addition, I took more pics of every scuff and scrape for the inspection process. No real surprises except for a scratch on the right side fairing that we didn't see in the previouse pics. Bottle of $20 kawasaki touch up paint will handle that.

Front

[​IMG]

Right side scratches

[​IMG]

Right side tank

[​IMG]

Right side tail

[​IMG]

Tail is pretty much the worst of the damage

[​IMG]

Left side scuffs

[​IMG]

Left side tank. From my guess lookin at all these scratches,the previouse owner either a:took it over the river and THROUGH the woods, b: went on safari and had a lion mistake the bike for a gazelle or c: had a run in with one of those Ent thingys from Lord of the Rings.

[​IMG]

The "tweeked" handlebars. I think she'll turn in a bit quicker to the right :p

[​IMG]

and another frontal, but here you can see the scratched up windscreen and broke clutch lever.

[​IMG]

To be continued.
  3. Gypsyangel

Oddometer:
    Okay, so the oil was a real nice gray-brown color so of course that had to be changed immediately.

Out with the old.

[​IMG]

And in with the new..

[​IMG]

The oil filter took a bit of finessing with a screwdriver however(bad pic).

[​IMG]

And while I was doin that,my new tail arrived..

[​IMG]

Great timing. Still no rear turn signals though :( . Can't seem to find em anywhere.
    Oh and I cleaned and lubed the chain as it was VERY dry.

[​IMG]

Tires look great though....too bad they're Bridgestones :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But appearantly Kansas was havin a drought this year as everything on this bike is covered in dust

[​IMG]

Got the tail off.Just waiting for turn signals to be found so new one can go on

[​IMG]

Gettin all charged up. And no,none of the turn signals on the table will work.We tried none fit the area that hold the stalk to the tail.

[​IMG]

With nothin else to do for today,there was time left to practice my squidly cornering technique :p

[​IMG]

okay,that's all for now
  4. nicekid81

nicekid81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap

Keep us posted!
  5. Gypsyangel

Oddometer:
    I will, I plan on writing up from start to finish with this whole retitling buisiness incase anyone else wants to buy a salvaged bike.
  6. Dilligaf0220

Dilligaf0220 Miserablist

Oddometer:
    Well...........what IS Jesus?

Apparently not his co-pilot.
  7. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    My big question here: How much did the bike set you back in that condition, if you don't mind saying? I am half thinking that if I get another bike in the next few years, it'll probably be salvage, so I'm really curious about the $$$. Looks aren't as important to me as the ride :lol3
  8. Gypsyangel

Oddometer:
    It said Jesus Is Lord...but I just spent the last hour scrubbin all that off.

We picked up the bike for a good deal to make it worth it. Shipping only cost me $130 plus atleast another $60 in parts. I've seen salvaged bikes go for less but A: I REALLY wanted the green one (I'm a chick, it's all about looks:D ) b: the frame and engine where good and the cosmetic was minimal. c: The bike only has like 1,000 miles on it and I'll probably put another 10,000 on it in a year. So it'll still have low miles next year. So with what little I do have to replace, I think I did alright.
  9. bill pierce

bill pierce I don't wana pickle

Oddometer:
    Great deal for a bike with only 1000 miles. Have fun and keep us posted
  10. Gypsyangel

Oddometer:
    Okay, today was a busy day in the life of my Kawi. First we discovered that older EX250 turn signals should fit my bike. And of course Dan had a spare set around. The only difference was the plugs. Fortunately my bike came with the bit of wire still plugged in from the missing turn signal as well as the complete right turn signal. So with a bit of splicing of wires and some fineggling of the rubber bases,they were on.
    And whala...and nice shiney new tail complete with turn signals.
    [​IMG]
    Also put back on ALL the reflectors. These have to be there for the inspection as they feel they're important to the safe operation of the motorcycle. Either way, being more visible is never a bad thing.
    [​IMG]
    From there I installed the new clutch lever. And let me pause for a minute to impart a bit of wisdom. There is a little itty bitty spring inside the clutch lever housing. Be very careful when removing housing (I wasn't) so that spring does not jump out onto the garage floor(it did). Also so you can pay attention to where said spring goes (I didn't) because (as I found out) the schematics in the service manual don't even mention the spring and the parts Fiche isn't specific about where it goes. Fortunately (after trying it in variouse places and positions) I was able to figure out where it went.
    [​IMG]
    So after that she was finally street worthy. YAY!! Of course I had to run her up and down the nieghborhood, but a cop parked at the other end made me scamper back home before my hooliganess was discovered. After a bit of deliberation (not much really) I decided to run it down the road to an empty school parking lot where I could do a bit more test riding.
    As a note here, I had never previously ridden a 650r and had chosen it merely from sitting on it in the showroom floor and reading variouse reports on them. I have also never owned a motorcycle with a "twin" engine. All my bikes have been inline-fours. So it "sounded" different and felt different. Twins have a deeper,meaner grunt to their engine (do they make termignoni pipes for Kawis ? ) , but boy is it sweet. And the power was very smooth, no whiplash take-off only to smooth out once you get going. It was smooth all the way through and very predictable in the corners. I can't wait to really get this bike out and see what it can do. But alas it's not "legal" yet so I scooted back home to the safety of the garage before I could be discovered.
    Sorry no pics of ride, was too excited to remember camera.
    One thing I didn't like on my maiden voyage was the handlebars. They suck big time and had my shoulder and wrist achin in no time. They're too tall and just at an odd angle for me. So once home , we ripped them off and replaced em with a set of FZ1 handlebars I had left over that never got put on my previouse bike. Now they where too short,but much closer to feeling "right". Dan to the rescue again, with a set of bar risers in place , now they where perfect. He doesn't care for em, but agrees they're better than the other ones.
    [​IMG]
    Oh and as you may have noticed in a previouse pic, the Jesus is off my front fender. It only took an hour of scrubbing trying variouse chemicals.Here was my original arsenal.
    [​IMG]
    none of that stuff even touched it. Here's what finally worked.
    [​IMG]
    This stuff says that it may damage plastics,but I figured I'd take my chances. At most, I may have removed a bit of the clear coating and if you look really close, you can still make out the words in the paint.
    [​IMG]
    Guess you can't un-baptise a bike. Oh well, it still looks better.
    So now the only things on my shopping list are a set of bar risers as Dan will eventually want these back.Plus they don't really match the handlebars. And a set of Bar ends as the Kawi ones won't fit the FZ bars. Not too shabby for a days work.
    Oh and I looked up the inspection dates ( http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/salvage/InspectionStations.asp )and the next one I'll be able to get to won't be till Nov. 4th. But I still have to call and confirm that they'll be open that day and what form of currency I'll have to bring.
    So that's all for now..more later.
  11. chronos

chronos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think you took off the clear. It might affect unpainted plastic by "melting" it a bit, but WD40, alcohol or Goo Gone shouldn't harm the clear at all. The grease stick or whatever it was that was used to put the letters on there reacted with the clear a bit so you still see the outline of the letters and your rubbing to get the letters off put some very light scratches into the clear. Get some Turtle Wax Polishing compound and put some elbow grease into it and you shouldn't see it anymore. I always keep a tub of it around to remove light scratches, heavy bug buildup, clean hazy plastic light lenses, etc.
  12. Gypsyangel

Oddometer:
    I'll do that tommorrow. Thanks for the tip.
  13. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Glad you gave us the link Dan...thanks. Great to see. Good luck Gypsy, great outlook. Ride safe.
  14. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    This is a pretty cool thread. I really like the Kawasaki green too. Have fun!
  15. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    fixed
  16. BubbaZanetti

BubbaZanetti for a corrector life

Oddometer:
    looks pretty sweet!
  17. Gypsyangel

Oddometer:
    BTW just an insurance note. Even though it has a Salvage title, the rep. said I could put full coverage on it, however should it be totalled (again) or stolen, they wouldn't give me the full value for the bike. They will also not tell you how much they would give you. Just incase anyone was wondering.
  18. ctbandit

ctbandit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread rocks. Nice bike, hope you enjoy it.
  19. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I almost went salvage and was looking at that same bike at one point. There is a place near me on Ebay always selling wrecked bikes from hammered to rideable with damage.

I found my Duke and jumped on it instead. Gook luck on the rebuild, where is it getting inspected? MO?
  20. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey now! :lol3