Finally, KTM Factory High fender kits!

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Don Lemelin, Apr 25, 2006.

1. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    PN# Orange 6000851004404
    PN# Black 6000851004430
  2. zugy

zugy My brother wheeling SXC

Oddometer:
    Don:

Do you think it might work on the 05" 640 adventure? :D
  3. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    Hey Louge, I did most of what FastEddieB did:

Except for #2 - I just used a bunch of Zip Ties as they are not out in plain site and seem to be working fine.

I like Chipper's cover over the brake line on the fork protector - might have to look into that, right not it is Zip Ties, that seem to keep breaking :huh

I did not drill my fender, and so far teh bike has not gotten any hotter doing single track riding than it normally does - but it is also not as warm out yet - so will keep an eye on it.

That KTM Fender Kit sure would be nice, but it probably costs more than getting the parts yourself.

D
  4. Pointman0853

Pointman0853 Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer:
    That KTM Fender Kit sure would be nice, but it probably costs more than getting the parts yourself.

D[/quote]

Yah! Only $360US!!!:eek1

No problem if you are an Ex-BMW owner. Then you are used to getting screwed like this...:huh Speaking as a former member of the blue roundel korps....

Better to roll your own me thinks!

Pointman
  5. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's upper guide I made from a lower one I think

Attached Files:

6. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better pic of it.

Attached Files:

7. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    Chipper, Many thanks! I'll buy a lower guide, perform a Dremelectomy and cut the line with a 45 degree banjo termination at the master cylinder. Would you (or anyone else) have the P/N for the plastic clamp to use on the right side fork guard?
  8. Rhinorear

Rhinorear Member Team Tarded

Oddometer:
    I hear a lot of concern over a right brake line route. IMHO get rid of the whole right brake and save 7 pounds. I did that to my 05.5 12 months ago and 1 front caliper works just fine. In fact so good that my sport bike buddies give me hell when they are beaten by a dirt bike curve carving.

I figure if it has proven to be a good set up on my PD then it should be just fine on my LC8

As for a limited amount of space between your fender and the radiator, stick a couple of washers between the fender and the bottom of the triple clamp on the back 2 bolts.

I am currently doing a high fender conversion using an Acerbis Tecnik front fender in orange/black. It has some venting and it seems to be pointing the right way to allow air flow but minimize debris flow
  9. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Go to KTMparts.com and look up the fork protectors from the SX85. On the left side is the peice you want. I did the same and dremelled the back and glued it to the SX right side. Then I flipped the hose guide from the left side and installed under the fender and then stuck a 1/2" electrical wire loom with duo lock to the upper fork brace. I had a brake line fabricated locally for $42.

Only problem I am having is finding the hard plastic tubing that goes over the brake line on the right side to keep it straight. Not a problem yet, but I do want to add it eventually. When I find the right tubing, I will go back to my brake line fabricator and cut the existing banjo off and have another pressed on.
  10. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    On my supermoto bike I had a brake line made, I went to Home depot and got some small diameter hard plastic water pipe. I cut it to length then put some heat shrink tubing on the top and bottom to make it look pretty. Worked like a champ!
  11. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since both front ends are same i would assume (again assume) the 640 adaption is no problem, not cheap, but it fits correctly & its factory.
  12. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chipper, I'm working on the setup you have basically, but the front brake line on the right side has the black stiffner resting below the guide on the clamp, I notice yours is doing the same. How do you keep the endge from catching on the guide when the suspension tops out.
  13. MonkeyPlunger

MonkeyPlunger Detroit 9fiddy adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have seen many KTM 950 pics in this forum in which there were WP fork covers?? How are they to install? How much protection do they offer? Where might someone obtain such a cover? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
  14. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    For comparison, Touratech recently got in a batch of new and slightly redesigned high fender kits. The fender is an OEM EXC unit with CNC-machined ventilation holes (nice and clean). I had a kit on backorder for 12+ months, and just got it about three weeks ago.

Note the bend in the right brake line: (say hello to Gumby!)
    [​IMG]

Upper brake line connection at master cylinder:
    [​IMG]

Upper brake line guide (attached to fork tube with a hose clamp):
    [​IMG]

Fork guards and brake line attachments:
    [​IMG]

The fork guard graphics are a KTM Hard Parts item; the fender graphic is from a KTM Factory Offroad kit I had for my 450EXC.
    [​IMG]

The whole deal:
    [​IMG]
  15. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In pic my forks are topped out, bike on center stand. Never had a problem with it catching there.:D Woodsrider that unit looking waaaayy to clean! Now you can get it muddy without locking that front wheel up.:clap
  16. woodsrider

Oddometer:
    Not too much mud up here in these parts, but got a good dusting planned real soon!
  17. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Louge, think the clamp # is 54601085000, get 2 of them and use the base of 1 to fit to the guard. Think there off older KTM with right side up forks. Some guys buy 2 sets of 85 fork protectors and cut the clamp area of 1 set to put on right side. The part numbers on this site somewhere in OC.
  18. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice design on the the right side cable guide. I made one similar to yours by taking the plastic 640 guide and cutting it down then riviting it to a piece of flat bent aluminum which was mounted to top two bolts holes on top triple but unfortunately the bracket broke from vibration at the 90o downward bend.
    It appears that yours is mounted to the single bolt holt on the bottom of top clamp between the key and fork leg, am I correct. Would you like to share you design in detail with some pictures, your mount looks very sanitary and low enought to prevent catching the brake line stiffner on the edge of guide.
    Cheers,
    Katoum
  19. woodsrider

Oddometer:
    Katoum:

This is the new upper brake line guide that comes with the Touratech kit. The guide has a metal tab that extends below it which is secured to the fork tube with a hose clamp. It does not mount to any of the top clamp bolt holes. It's kind of crude, but it isn't visible underneath the fairing and, so far, it's working out nicely.

Woodsy
  20. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Now that everbody had yet another chance to show their DYI fender solutions again, I'm still curious what kit KTM is supposed to have introduced... :ear