Finally, KTM Factory High fender kits!

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Don Lemelin, Apr 25, 2006.

1. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    No, and No
  2. TymeRider

TymeRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and....

Those fork guards have a very different hole pattern at the bottom than the 85 SX ones did. Whereas the 85 SX rear hole just needed to be elongated or slotted out to work with the 950 forks, it seems the hole patterns for these new fork guards are different enough that that strategy won't work. I noticed from a friend who just bought that lastest versioin of Touratech's high fender kit that Touratech uses these same "new" fork guards now, but they also provide two metal brackets that go between the fork lower and the fork guards. The guards bolt to the brackets, not directly to the forks.

Does anyone know if those brackets are a KTM part or a Touratech part? What comes with the new KTM high fender kit to allow those fork guards to mount to the 950 forks?

Doug
  3. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    It looks to me like KTM and TT must be sharing parts b/c when I saw a KTM kit they had the same brackets as the TT kit. All I saw was the parts bag from KTM, not the installed product.
  4. TymeRider

Oddometer:
    ... and....
    Does anyone know the KTM part number for these brackets?

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  5. 950_au

950_au n00b

Oddometer:
    I have just fitted my KTM Hard Parts High fender Kit and from the picture posted of the Toratech Kit they woud appear to be exactly the same.

I picked mine up for $320 Australian which was a real bargin considering parts and Genuine accessories are 100% - 150% more expensive here than the US.

The kit goes on perfectly, very professional and couldn't be happier
  6. TymeRider

Oddometer:
    Hey, 950_au,
    By any chance was there a part number in the installation instructions or maybe stamped on the brackets themselves, for the two brackets that are used to mount the bottom of the fork protectors to the fork legs?

I'm still trying find a KTM P/N for those to see if I can buy them separately.
    Thanks.
  7. 950_au

950_au n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry TymeRider,

No part number on the lower fork protector brackets, I suspect that they can't be bought seperately.

Regards

Gareth
  8. smithi

smithi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    has anyone tried the conversion on the 990? ....brake line issues seem to be greater as the front's route is from handlebar to ABS control unit, then back out to lower triple clamp
  9. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Im looking at doing the high-fender conversion, but Im not 100% happy with what's available so far.

1) Id like to use the 950SE fender rather than the EXC one, and
    2) Id rather not have 2 brake lines from the master cylinder (there's enough cable crowding there already)

After reading this, and other threads, studying pics and looking at the 990, I have the following questions:

1) I cant find anything on the KTM site(s) regarding any OEM high-fender kit for the 950 mentioned earlier in this thread
    2) KTMTwins sell a kit that is different from the Touratech one - but so far haven't been able to find out what the technical differences are (there is a sizable price diff though).
    3) The touratech one seems to have a metal bracket for lower fork protectors that cant be sourced anywhere else (is that true?)
    4) The touratech kit seems to come with a cheesy hose-clamped-on guide for the RHS brake line - has anyone come up with something better?
    5) Is it possible to use a 990S brake line, bracket & guide? Its a single line from the master cylinder with a T at the bottom of the triples. Theres also a decent bracket/guide at the T - but I fear that might interfere with the fender. Not 100% about the big stick-catching loops of the 990 brake lines either - but thats integral to the design of the 990 brake line. Its designed to keep the cockpit tidy - and therefore the slack is kept at the forks. (the ABS on the non-S is also a major reason the slack has to be kept at the foks)

If I cant pry any info out of ktmtwins regarding the high fender kit they sell (which I am hoping I can, since Im about to spend a not-insignificant amount of money with them ;-)) then I might go for the touratech kit as a starting point and add my own mods on top of that. Will post pics when I am happy.

Any info/advice most welcome.
  10. kingoftwins

kingoftwins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From my experience regarding the high fender kit there are little difference between the Touratech and KTM fender kits. The key items in either one of the kits is the mounting brackets for the fork protectors and the different brake line. The two brake line set up much like the new 990 is a more efficient way to route any dual caliper brake system. It evenly distributes the brake fluid to the calipers. The only items that are left that you can't buy individually are the brackets that both kits come with that allow you to attatch the fork protectors. These are fairly simple brackets but are needed to moun those protectors. It isn't a difficult system to build if you were motivated enough to bend some metal.
  11. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    My bike is equipped to run the high fender but I recently switched back to the low. When I go to an event I take both fenders with me in case the conditions warrant the high fender. If not I run the low and enjoy better debri protection and more airflow to the radiator.
  12. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Forgive my ignorance here - but where is this KTM fender kit you speak of?
    Do you have a link? Have looked and looked on the KTM site, but I dont see anything. Perhaps Im blind.

Its similar to the 990 down below - but at the handlebars, from what i have seen, they are quite different.

The 990 has a single line from the master cylinder. This branches with a T at the bottom of the triples. The nice thing about this is that it keeps things much neater at the handlebars. Downside is that it creates these big loops near the forks.
  13. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Not sure this thread belongs in the Vendor section (was moved recently).

Its very much a KTM Adv 950-specific thread.... OC?
  14. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    So, since this thread moved from OC to here, its died a bit of a death....

Dont know that many ppl regularly look in the vendor section. I know I dont. Can the mod that moved this here think about moving it back pls?
  15. cobblecrazy

cobblecrazy '15 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Oddometer:
  16. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
  17. MeRide

MeRide Me like bikes!

Oddometer:
    For the guys like me that might be doing this conversion now as opposed to when this thread actually was active........................

To clarify some information, the KTM high fender kit IS the Touratech kit. I ordered the KTM kit in black (60000851004430) from a KTM dealer and while all of the plastics in this kit were marked KTM and had KTM part numbers all of the plastic bags the plastics came in had Touratech labels on them. So, I'm pretty sure you can save yourself $100 by buying the Touratech kit instead of the KTM kit but still receive the same thing.

No, I do not have any of the important part numbers for the hardware, mounts, brake line, etc. None of those nor their bags were marked. I'm assuming Toruatech didn't individualize these pieces with part numbers although I'd bet they do have a part number to the hardware package that they reference.

The installation instructions do NOT come with the kit. But there is a download link to them on the Touratech high fender kit webpage.

Something I wanted to know so that I could save a lot of money was the brake line part number and the long banjo bolt part number. Now that I've read the installation instructions (did that before I ordered but didn't catch this then) I realize the original banjo bolt used on the left caliper for the union of the left caliber to the right caliper gets re-used up at the master cylinder. I knew there was a longer banjo bolt up at the master but didn't relaize it came from down at the caliper so I thought it was part of the kit.

The brake line bag doesn't have a part number on it but the ends of the brake line have written on them " FHL Fischer II. 2010 KBA 61200"
  18. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Its also worthwhile noting that the results from the KTM/Touratech kit can sometimes be less than spectacular...

Front wheel much harder to remove and replace (fork guard brackets get in the way)
    The captive nuts have enough force on them (bending the fork guards) they fail after a while.
    In my case the RHS brake line discoloured also.
  19. MeRide

MeRide Me like bikes!

Oddometer:
    Now you tell me....

:lol3

20. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    :lol3

There are threads/posts in Orange Crush about it. One started by me. I was less than impressed.