Financial Suicide: A new life behind bars

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stuntheavy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :freaky Here's to you and Austin. It has been a joy to follow along with the two of you on this great life experience. I hope you can find happiness in the State's.:1drink
  2. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dammit.........:cry I'll miss you guys......Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us.:freaky
  3. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    Great ride, Stunt&Swifty. Interesting writing and very descriptive events. Thanks for taking us along. I hope to hear more about your life.
  4. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loved every minute of it. Thanks for sharing, congrats and good luck in the future!!!
  5. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which bike would be better for this type of trip? Is the Honda air cooled? Would air cooling be a benefit or a liability?
  6. skymtb

skymtb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the trip. I've been following this from the beginning and have anxiously awaited the updates. I wish you both the best in your future endeavors. :clap
  7. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So true. We get sucked into a life based on existing as an economic unit....whose purpose is to earn x dollars a week and spend all of it, or more, on stuff that we have been conditioned to believe will make us happy. You though, may have just swallowed the blue pill. If so, hang on! You could be in for quite a ride.
  8. HPTuner

HPTuner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What an incredible journey! I appreciate you two sharing this experience with us, & we will all be looking forward to the next chapter! :thumb
  9. freeway crash

freeway crash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for taking us on the ride. Stop and say hello when you see one of the ADV stickers on a bike somewhere. In some respect, we're all shooting for what you guys did.
  10. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    "It was clear the mood of the trip had entirely changed. Reality had set in, and soon we would just be back working some form of 9 to 5, somewhere, making someone else lots more money than we were for ourselves"

Sounds too familiar :)
    Great story and ride! Unfortunately it is always will be hard returning to the regular life. But look at it as a time out between the trips and getting ready to a next one. This will give you something to look forward to and ease every-day boring life.
    I can't really explain it but for some like us travel is life mission...

Question: what profile and a dashboard did you use on the Montana?
  11. aDave

aDave Lovin' Life!

Oddometer:
    So pleased to have the privilege of riding along with you. Very impressed with your diligence in handling both the big and the small...and everything in between.:clap

Live now...life is ever so short. Best of wishes on your future.
    Most respectfully,
    Dave
  12. Roadinator

Roadinator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job and thanks for taking us on your journey. I'm sure everyone will agree it was well worth it on our end as well!
  13. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the photos, the vivid descriptions of your adventures, and also the personal touches. It is clear that this was not just a journey of miles but also a personal journey for both of you.

Like others have said, I've been hooked on this report and checked back daily (at least) for your latest update. I'm sad to see this trip end, but I'm sure there will be more in your future.

I suspect that the extent of the lessons learned from your trip won't be evident until you are back in "regular" life. If you feel like sharing, I'm sure we'd love to hear your further thoughts about your trip after you have time to decompress and settle in.

And one final note: Back when you were on the TAT, I had just finished having a moment of serious envy for your riding and wrenching skills. In the very next paragraph you described how out of your element you felt with camping. It was a wonderful reminder to step out of my comfort zone. I suspect that everyone setting off on their first trip has some part of it that is out of their comfort zone, no matter what strengths they bring to the table. Thank you for reminding me to "just do it". There's no need to wait for the perfect time - or the perfect skill set.

So thank you again for the inspiration...and if you two make it out to the Seattle area, there's a beer or three waiting for you!
  14. MaverickChick

MaverickChick I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along :clap
  15. alfabc

alfabc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along! The photos and the stories were excellent. Truly enjoyed the ups, downs, and arounds.

Cheers,

Bill
  16. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. TheBlurr

TheBlurr Banned

Oddometer:
    Great thread, A good friend, who's son I did the Eurail thing in Europe with when I was a little younger than you, always maintained that "You cannot tell me that two retired people in their sixties with all the money in the world are gonna have as much fun as two young college age kids in Cabo with 50 cents to their name, travel and enjoy life now"
    You guys certainly proved him right yet again, remember that and keep doing it every damn chance you get, life slips by in a hurry, and ends to quickly for some.
    Keep going, and as the saying goes

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave
    with the intention of arriving safely
    in an attractive and well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways,
    chocolate in one hand,
    wine in the other,
    body thoroughly used up,
    totally worn out and screaming
    "WOO HOO what a ride!"
  18. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
  20. ChrissRhodess

ChrissRhodess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This has been amazing. I'm a 24 year old work-A-holic but after reading your journey I'm seriously considering taking one of my own (so serious I just bought a 2003 dakar). Your the f$&@$,g man. Stay posi! Your a cool dude and an inspiration. Hoping to following your footsteps soon :clap