Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BcDano, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    Leaving Pula our plan was to get north into the western mountains of Slovenia and then into Italy far enough that we would be in striking distance of Bassano del Grappa to meet our friends Gino and Fiona arriving from Scotland.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 18.51.24 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

We made it north in Croatia on the secondary roads and then arrived at the long line of traffic snaking to the Slovenian border check. This is because even thought both Croatia and Slovenia are in the EU, Croatia in not in the Schengen zone and so there is passport control to enter Slovenia. This is a minor issue and they scan and stamp your passport, but this does delay the flow of holiday traffic.

There is no check at the Croatian “border”

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Welcome back to the Schengen zone!

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-3 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-4 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
    marior97 and SmilinJoe like this.
  2. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We then drove the 23 km across Slovenia’s link to the sea in a line of caravans and cars for about an hour.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 18.51.43 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Then it is back into Italy with out a border check and a 63 km drive up to the Border of Slovenia again at Gorizia. From here we snaked out way on the mountain roads north east to Tolmin and then northwest to Zaga. Here you can decide to do one of 2 passes over the mountains and into Italy again for about 380 km. We chose the north route on the Vrsic Pass thru Trenta. This MUST be a good Motorcycle route!!

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 18.52.52 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 18.53.04 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-5 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
  3. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We had some dark skies in Slovenia and a smattering of rain for the pass, but in general it was not too bad. The hairpins are about half on each side. On the east they are paved and fairly tight and off camber at times. There was very little traffic. The western curves are bricked, which was a bit slick as they were wet and made for some slower going.

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-6 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-7 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

“The Vršič Pass with an elevation of 1,611 metres (5,285 ft), is a high mountain pass across the Julian Alps in northwestern Slovenia. It is the highest pass in Slovenia, as well as the highest in the Eastern Julian Alps. It connects Upper Carniola with the Trenta Valley in the Slovene Littoral. The road across the pass, known as the Russian Road (Ruska cesta), was built in 1915 for military purposes, to supply the Isonzo front of World War I. The Russian Road rises from Kranjska Gora in a series of 50 hairpin bends, traverses the top of the Vršič Pass, and descends into the Soča Valley. The upper elevations of the road are rendered impassable by heavy snowfall during much of winter.”

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-8 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-9 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Trento by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-11 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-10 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-12 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
    marior97, MaNDan and SmilinJoe like this.
  4. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We gassed up just before the “border” at 1.21 E/l and were happy we did since the station on the Italian side was 1.43 E.

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-13 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

The next good thing that happened was that the blue sky and sunshine appeared for the rest of our trip towards Tolmezzo.

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-14 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

We drove on the secondary road that essential fell beside and at times right under the elevated toll highway. Our plan was to camp by a small lake near the village of Cavazzo Carnico. The weather cooperated and we set up camp and watched the kite and wind surfers on the lake.

[​IMG]Tolmezzo CC-15 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Trento-2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
  5. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We only had 185 km today to get to Basanno del grappa and so we had a nice late start and wandered about on the small village roads.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 18.57.24 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 18.57.46 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Some of the hair pins are a bit of a traffic jam

[​IMG]Bassano CC by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Bassano CC-2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

We planned to meet our friend here and spend the one night before we fly home for 2 weeks and they head south on their road trip to Sicily. We had been here last year, but that was the day of Dan’s run in with the fuel truck and he was laid up in the hotel.

“Bassano Del Grappa is also famous for inventing the spirit Grappa, traditionally an after-dinner drink made from pomace (discarded grape seeds, stalks, and stems). The city was founded in the 2nd century BC by a Roman called Bassianus. The symbol of the town is the covered wooden pontoon bridge, which was designed by the architect Andrea Palladio in 1569. The bridge was destroyed many times, the last time during WWII. The Alpine soldiers, or Alpini have always revered the wooden bridge and Bassano del Grappa.”

We came across this lake in a nature preserve for the Griffin birds.

[​IMG]Bassano CC-4 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Bassano CC-5 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Trento-3 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
  6. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
  7. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
  8. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
  9. gwedo

gwedo old enough to know better

Oddometer:
    bin following from the beginning and all I can say is wow wow wow have changed my screen saver to your photos probably 20 times.. the boat must have been a nice refreshing detour. no ice cream shots for some time ? LOOKING FORWARD to more have fun and be safe
    Saralou likes this.
  10. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

HI! Yes the boat was great. I think you can not really appreciate Croatia except from the sea! Dont worry we will get back to the icecream. Dan was off for a bit we have a wedding to go home to and need to fit the clothes! We are back on the road July 15. Cheers. S&D
  11. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    From BDG to Venice is only 65 km and so we did a loop up the switch backs to Asiago and then round by accident amazing SP 73 from Foza to Valstagna.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 19.04.33 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 19.04.44 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Venice CC-7 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Venice CC by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Venice CC-2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Venice CC-3 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Venice CC-5 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Venice CC-6 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
    marior97, kiran, MaNDan and 1 other person like this.
  12. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    From here we made a B line to the coast near to venice and the BMW dealership, which is also only 4 km from our hotel. The swing arm bearing is squeaking and in the end only needed grease. The front wheel bearings also needed to be replaced.They agreed to do the work and then then store it for us for 2 weeks. The hotel, which is very near the airport agreed to store the 800 inside a garage with the rest of our gear.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 19.03.52 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

The best thing about getting here today was that waiting in our room was a gift from Frey Daytona! They have sent me a new pair of Daytona Ladystar GTX with a custom Daytona sole to make my short inseam taller! The original hand made boots have a 6 cm elevation built in, but they added an additional 2cm for me in the sole! I will be comfortable, dry and flat footed! Thank you SO MUCH Frey Daytona! Your boots are the best gear I own and I never ride without them.

[​IMG]Daytona by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Daytona by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Daytona-2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
  13. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Little world: you're just a few miles from where I work and at my usual BMW dealer!!! Have a nice time when at home and reach me if you need something once back in Italy! Enrico
    Saralou likes this.
  14. tradex56

tradex56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hello Sara and Daniel. I only see now that you are back to Italy. When I saw that you went near my house ..... I wanted to eat me my computer.
    I look at you forever, and I knew I wanted to meet you and have a beer together. I never thought you were here in my country.
    curiosity???? How many kilometers have your bikes? I also have the same bike Sara.
    Bye bye my friends ...... I hope to meet you one day.
    The photos are beautiful ......... sorry for the English but google translator.
    Saralou likes this.
  15. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much! Enrico! We will be back next Friday and will spend a few days to see the city. My bike has had a holiday also at the BMW! Sara
    MaNDan likes this.
  16. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Agh! Too bad so sorry to miss you. We are back to Venice next Friday. We will go north on Monday from Venice to Lienz, Austria on our way to the Heiligenblut am Großglockner! Your English I am sure is better than my Italian!

Sara's 650 is 170,000 km about. The 800 is 180,000 about. What model year do you have and how many km? Sara
  17. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Papiokavalaris likes this.
  18. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We have parked the bikes for 2 weeks near to Venice and are headed home to Vancouver for Sara’s brother Ben’s wedding. The celebration lasted for several days and a great time was had by all.

The next exciting thing that happened is that our dear friends Garry and Ivonne from Mexico City arrived in Vancouver on their way to Alaska. We did a bit of touring around in the city between wedding events and then we all went over to Victoria on the ferry.

[​IMG]Wedding-16 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-3 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_6352 (1) by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-4 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-5 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-6 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-7 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
    marior97, SmilinJoe and MaNDan like this.
  19. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We actually saw a pod of killer whales on the way there, which I have not seen in 40 years of crossings. In Victoria we toured the Parliament buildings and the city.

[​IMG]IMG_0144 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0147 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0167 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-8 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-16 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-17 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-20 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-22 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-23 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-24 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Garry & Yvonne-25 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
    marior97 and MaNDan like this.
  20. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: