1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BcDano, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    Hey there!!! Thanks so much. Still love your Dolomites!!!! S&D
  2. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is such an inspirational RTW trip! With young kids at home, I'm a few years away from an contiguous RTW but I'm starting with some baby steps....Baja and mainland MX next year then returning to south america (I used to work in Patagonia) the following year for a 3 month trip. Then we'll see...
    Ride reports like yours serve to inspire the huddled masses, and provide some terrific tactical details re; bikes, places to see / avoid, routes for the folks who get out there.
    So, thanks! ...from one Canuck to another. Ride on!!!
    Saralou likes this.
  3. thwak

thwak Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    May have to seek professional opinion but I believe the point of rain gear is to keep you dry :fpalm
    Saralou likes this.
  5. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Just found this...what an amazing journey! Sometimes I feel stuck in the northwest USA, even though I do travel a fair amount, but this reminds me of what's out there beyond my normal travels. Thanks for the wonderful photos!
    Saralou likes this.
  6. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

Hey Powderzone!

Yeah Canada!! Thanks for checking in with us. We really love to “meet” people who are keeping us company on the road. Any trip 1 day or 1 year can be a great adventure. Just do it. For Mexico insurance try Mexpro on line. For the TVIP for the mainland use Visa and they put it right back to the card about 2 weeks after you cancel it. For SA our advice is spend more time in Colombia, Ecuador, northern Argentina, and southern Chile! I can send you the “tactical email” I made for a friend who lands in Santiago in January with his bike and will ride back to Vancouver. Cheers Sara & Daniel
  7. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

Belstaff as usual well spoken!! Cheers.
  8. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

Thwak

1. We asked every overland rider we met for the first 2 years of our trip if their suit (high and low end brands included) was waterproof. Everyone had the same answer. “yes in a shower, but NONE are waterproof in heavy rain or rain for hours”. Everyone we met carried an over suit. Gortex must be clean to work and once soiled it leaks. So if you need an over suit anyway….
    2. We wear Revitt Defender GTX suits. We love them and this is our second set. They have a zip in Gortex liner for “waterproofs”. The good thing is they work well to keep you dry except as above, but you must be wearing them for that. This only works if you set out the day in the rain. You are not going to zip them in on the side of the road especially the pants. Most of the places we have been it is too warm to have them inside all the time. We carried them for nearly 3 years and hardly used them, except if it was cold and or raining at the start of the day. The other issue is that you are dry inside, but the outer jacket is then wet and heavy. This is ok if you are out for the day and are going home, but not on a longer trips. The liners also need to be stored somewhere and take up precious luggage room for something you almost never use. They are single use items and can not be worn as a “jacket” like your over suit jacket can.
    3. If it is raining you are going to get dirty. We never got the red mud stains out of our last suits from the red earth in Brazil. It is very difficult to find a front loading washer and a dryer to launder the suits properly. We can usually accomplish this very 6-8 weeks.
    4. The rain gear we have is BMW for Sara and Louis for Daniel and both pack into a 10L dry bag on the top of a pannier.

Today in Ukraine it was a great example it was nice out and then it was not! We stopped on the side of the road and donned the over suits in under 2 minutes and then we had pouring rain for hours and we are dry.

Sara
    gspeed likes this.
  9. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

Pdedse

Thanks for checking in! The northwest has fantastic riding!!! Daniel takes most of the photo so he get the credit. S&D
  10. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    It is a bit warmer today at 15 and the sun is trying to come out. We need to try to get insurance if we want to go to Moldova. There is one agency listed in this town. When we had the hotel call all we got was the answering machine. When we went to the address the neighbors say the place is closed down.

[​IMG]Zhytomir UA CC by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Well decision made. We are headed towards Kiev. Today we will go the 280 km to Zhytomyr and this will take about 6 hours, despite what google maps says.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 22.16.29 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Zhytomir UA CC-4 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
    US7IGN and SmilinJoe like this.
  11. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    The road conditions today on the H3, which is a said to be a “main” road are not too bad. They are mostly patch. This is exhausting and bone shattering after hours of it.

[​IMG]Ukraine-2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Zhytomir UA CC-3 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Zhytomir UA CC-2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Zhytomir UA CC-5 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Zhytomir UA CC-7 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ukraine-4 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
    US7IGN, SmilinJoe and MaNDan like this.
  12. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    US7IGN, SmilinJoe and MaNDan like this.
  13. thwak

thwak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sara
    Thanks so much for that explanation and the benefit of your experience. It was exactly what I needed to know. I have never taken a multi-day trip with hours of continuous heavy rain so I was unaware of the shortcomings of Gortex in that situation, although now you mention it, it does explain why the front of the arms and shoulders on an Aerostich jacket I had for several years could no longer repel the water. I currently have a BMW Rallye jacket that has the zip in Gortex liner similar to your Revitt. My experience with it is exactly as you have described and I agree 100%. I guess I'll be shopping for some rain gear!
    Saralou likes this.
  14. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey Thwak

No worries. Go with a two piece. Make sure the pant legs zip all the way open and then have a velcrow flap. My BMW do not and it is very annoying to get them on and off. Lucky I got them end of season and cheap. Dan loves the Louis Proof and its in expensive 39 Euros jacket and 15 E for the pants, but in Europe of course.

Cheers Sara

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 21.06.36 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
    thwak likes this.
  15. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
  16. thwak

thwak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent advice again Sara. It's been a very dry summer here in Ontario but I know that won't last forever. BC folks have got all the knowledge in the rain department. Thanks.
  17. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Today started out cloudy and gloomy, but dry. We only had 140 km to Kiev on the highway, which is smooth as silk, but decided on the 186 km route thru Fastiv. You go 30 km on the highway and then exit to the village roads. The first 20 km of these roads were pretty bad, but then improved since there was little traffic and no trucks. Check out the centre line.

[​IMG]Kiev CC by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Kiev CC-2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Kiev CC-5 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Kiev CC-7 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ukraine by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Kiev CC-4 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Leaving Fastiv you do get on the P19, which is a major road under construction and the surface is pretty bad in sections. It is Sunday an a major religious holiday here so getting into the city was pretty easy. We had chosen an old school hotel right out of the Soviet era in design and Motel 6 cheap as well.

[​IMG]Kiev CC-9 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ukraine-32 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
  18. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    The sun did come out for a walking tour of the city centre. We headed out to see the huge Independence square and grab traditional Ukrainian lunch of Borscht and dumplings!

[​IMG]Ukraine-11 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ukraine-12 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ukraine-16 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ukraine-5 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ukraine-3 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ukraine-2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ukraine-31 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
  19. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    From the main square we made for the huge Friendship of Nations arch.

“It is dedicated to the unification of Russia and Ukraine within the Soviet Union. It was opened November 7, 1982 to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the USSR and the celebration of the 1,500th Anniversary of the Kiev city. On 20 May 2016 the Ukrainian government announced plans to dismantle the arch as part of its decommunization policy. In its place is planned a memorial dedicated to veterans of the Russian-Ukrainian war.”

“The monument consists of three sculptural elements an arch and two statues.

1.A huge, 50 m (164 ft) in diameter, rainbow-shaped arch, made of titanium.
    2. A bronze statue depicting a Russian and Ukrainian workers holding up the Soviet Order of Friendship of Peoples
    3.A granite stele depicting the participants of the Pereyaslav Council of 1654.”

[​IMG]Ukraine-13 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
    SmilinJoe likes this.
  20. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    There are several spectacular churches nearby including St. Andrews with its golden spires and the St. Sophia Cathedral. Inside the first we found scarlet robed monks chanting and singing in front of the gold encrusted alter. There are no seats in the church and the faithful stand in a semicircle around the monks. It was now after 6 and St. Sophia was unfortunately closed for the day.

[​IMG]Ukraine-15 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Today the weather is much better and sunny, but windy. We walked thru the Mariyinski park and past the palace, which is the official ceremonial residence of the President of the Ukraine and which is under major renovation.

[​IMG]Ukraine-6 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr