1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BcDano, Jul 19, 2012.

1. NomadicOne

NomadicOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, I was also caught in those construction areas for more than an hour a month ago on the way to Pozo Almonte.

Chile customs asked me to take off my tailbag and put it through x-ray but nothing for my riding partner. I believe the aduana is for agricultural control between regions (Tarapacá and Antofagasta) or maybe just as a double check against Peruvian imports. South from Pozo Almonte, we actually found a gas station on the left side of the highway around Victoria which is I believe only 50km south of Pozo Almonte. We must've hit the gas station at the right time since we had no line.

Hope you get to do the drive from San Pedro de Atacama to Purmamarca one day (high altitude pass, great scenery and animals and super twisty roads). It's probably my favourite of the trip.
  2. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    Tricepilot

Thanks so much it takes a lot of work, so I'm glad you are enjoying it! I have almost caught up to us finally. :clap:clap We are about 150 km shy of Santiago.

Sara
  3. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

Hey

We will be back north to go to Bolivia and south eastern Peru in the dry. So it's possible we could make it on such a great road! Where are you now, must be near Ushuaia? Great tip on your post for the route 40 site. www.ruta40.gov.ar. Dan is all over it as we speak. Cheers

Sara & Daniel
  4. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Hey Sara!

I don't think there's any way we'll be in Ushuaia this season. We are moving at a snails pace...

Enjoy Chile!
  5. NomadicOne

NomadicOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent. Definitely spend a day or two in Purmamarca and hit the twisties on Highway 52 just west of Highway 9 (Purmamarca). Highway 9 from El Carmen to Salta is basically two bicycle lanes twisting around the mountains with two way traffic. If there's not too much traffic and it's not wet then I would recommend it (we did it and it was great). Otherwise it can be kind of risky.

I'm in Comodoro Rivadavia now after leaving Ruta 40 today from Esquel. I've got to be in Ushuaia in 5 days and catch a flight to El Calafate to meet my gf and bus around Patagonia for two weeks. I'll then be back in Ushuaia for my Antarctic cruise Jan 2-11 before heading up to BA. When do you two expect to be in Ushuaia? I'll probably just miss you two there.

Here's two other somewhat useful Ruta 40 site/resources:
    Ruta0 - Great for punching in start/end location and getting some distances, road condition breakdowns, etc.
    TurismoRuta40 - Great for figuring out what to see along the way, where to stay, some warnings, etc.

I did Ruta 40 from Cafayate (cool winery town) to just south of Gobernador Costa before turning for Sarmiento/Comodoro Rivadavia so I can give you up to date info on road conditions. Jeff (supertenere, RR ottawa-inuvik-ushuaia) is continuing south on Ruta 40 past Rio Mayo so he'll be able to give road condition details for the rest of it probably.
  6. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    That would be fantastic! Thanks again for the web sites. Good luck!!!!!

We will not be in Ushuaia until about Jan 25. We are going to Miami dec 13 to my sisters wedding and then possibly to the Dakar start Jan 4. Our Antarctic ship leaves Jan 30. :freaky

Sara
  7. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Wow, that was a FAST trip through Peru. I've been there twice - Cordierra Blanco and Cuzco/ Machu Pichu. AMAZING places. I hope you get a chance to revisit there someday.

As always, loving your pics and uploads. Amazing how you're able to so thoroughly document your journey.

~Doug
  8. salvadorfrieri

salvadorfrieri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, the Ruta 40 is great, but no comparison to road 7 in chile (La Carretera Austral). Western (Chilean) Patagonia is much better than the Argentinian Patagonia. If I were you I'd make sure I wouldn't miss a single kilometer of route 7. Then, if time allows, cross over to Argentina.

Did you make it to Santiago? When's your flight?
  9. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    Totally agree with Salvador here... Carretera Austral (Ruta 7) is not to be missed.... Ruta 40 OTOH... well, after a while it gets boring but you'll still have bragging rights and a sticker on your panniers :lol3

If you go back north in Chile, I suggest you try to visit the Geysers del Tatio, it will be cold at night (around -8 to -10 C) , but your best bet is to camp next to the geysers so you can check them out at sunrise when they are more photogenic. It's a beautiful area and if you plan to do the Lagunas Route in Bolivia (highly recommended) you can cross from San Pedro de Atacama into Bolivia (Chilean customs/immigration is actually in San Pedro de Atacama so take this in mind before you ride the +- 40 kms to the border).

Buen viaje
  10. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We will be back to Peru in about June next year for the dry season there and in Bolivia for the Solar.

Sara
  11. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We made it 6500 km in 20 days from Quito to Santiago. We fly out on Friday 13! We return Dec 23. We are spending Christmas in Vina del Mar with our friends from Sweden. The plan after that is to go to Rosario for the start of the Dakar Jan 3-5. Then head south. We were thinking of going down one way and back the other. Sara
  12. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

We did try to get to the geysers, but that is the morning Dan's bike wouldn't start. We really did not want to chance it after that to be stuck even farther away with a dead bike. His fix held to get us here to Santiago on time for our flight. We may be back up there on our way north again next spring. So we will likely get another chance. Thanks for the advice.

Sara
  13. salvadorfrieri

salvadorfrieri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mmmm good thing Dan's such a good mechanic. The only time it started without a glitch was in Girag! :rofl:rofl
  14. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Ha ha. Dan does a great job maintaining and fixing the bikes, thats for sure.

Sara
  15. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Dan’s bike was having issues starting, but we thought it was just sand in the starter. This evening we went to the Valley of the moon for some very lunar landscape and an amazing sunset.

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 56 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 77 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 51 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 58 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 54 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 55 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 61 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 63 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 72 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 75 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 92 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 99 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 105 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 103 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

The colors were amazing this is how it looked.

[​IMG]san pedro de atacama 90 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

The plan for today was get up at 330 am and drive the 100 km or 2 hours to the huge geyser field at Tatio. Well we did get up at 4 am, but when we tried to leave Dan’s bike would not start. UGH! Back to bed to sort of sleep. Luckily we have a GS911 and it quickly diagnosed a problem with the clutch actuator switch, which was full of crap. Cleaning this out Dan had solved the problem. Lazing about for the rest of the day was not so bad actually.
  16. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Wow ... awesome pics! Were you a photog or journalist in your professional life?

Bummer about the Bimmer. :-(
  17. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    No, but thanks. Both Daniel and I really enjoy the art of photography.

SP
  18. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We retraced our route to Calama and then headed south initially to Antofagasta, but it was only 250 km. There were several ruins along the way.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.31.53 PM by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]taltal 2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

This is a sign you do not see very often and just after the traffic was crawling for 10 km following the biggest dump truck ever. It took up two lanes and nearly took out several barriers and signposts.

[​IMG]taltal 3 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]taltal 3 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Another milestone today we passed the tropic of Capricorn.

[​IMG]taltal 6 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

There are many of these geoglyphs along the roadside.

[​IMG]taltal 10 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Another 75 km south of there is the famous hand in the desert so we stopped there for some photo op’s.

[​IMG]taltal 8 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]taltal 12 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]taltal 16 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]taltal 20 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Instead of back tracking the 25 km to the road to the coast we continued south, “because the will be another road”. Unfortunately there was not and we were stuck on the Pan Americana where there was really nowhere to stop for the night unlike on the coast road, until we reached 630 km at Taltal. This is quite a nice ocean front town. There is a pretty square and waterfront area.

[​IMG]taltal 20 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]taltal 28 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]taltal 30 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

30 minutes after we arrived at the hotel Claudinei and Fatima from Brazil arrived. They had been in San Pedro also and left about 30 min after us this morning but did the coast road. Together we enjoyed a great fish dinner and Spinglish with a little Portuguese conversation.

[​IMG]taltal 31 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]D36jCrdsbQUXyb4OzdpWjbFfCkfpQOu-MEb2Cob_Z5k by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]taltal 24 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
  19. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We were all going the same direction and to Bahia Inglasia just 240 km away.

[​IMG]taltal 26 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

We tracked back to the Pan Americana for about 100 km and then exited to the Camino de Pan de Azucar. Someone had told us about this great road last year. The route is off road, but very solid and the views are amazing. This then heads to the coast and meets up again with the #5 highway.

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 5 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 11 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 7 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 9 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 10 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 13 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Just before this you cross the playa in strong winds and blowing sand.

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 15 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 13 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Arriving in Bahia we finally found a place with cabinas that had kitchens to spend 2 nights. This is a beach town just south of the city of Caldera.

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 43 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 24 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 29 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 30 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 27 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Since all 4 of us are wearing these helmets we had to have lunch at the Shark restaurant.

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 31 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 42 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 38 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Some really great new friends!

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 36 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]bahia inglasia 45 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

Heading south 411 km we aimed for La Serena. This was a pretty boring ride down the #5 until the last 45 km along the sea.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 9.34.11 PM by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]la serena 2 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

I love a welcome drink!

[​IMG]la serena 8 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]la serena 11 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]la serena 15 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]la serena 16 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr

[​IMG]la serena 18 by Sara & Daniel Pedersen, on Flickr
  20. shimazaki

shimazaki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    excellent RR, great photos and great smiles,
    keep going enjoying life.