Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BcDano, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
  2. SignalX

SignalX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is an exciting trip to watch. Do you all have a list of expenses, either summarized or broken down?
  3. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    That depends on the size of the boat. It is cheapest on large boats, but if there are over 500 passengers you can not go ashore at all. Smaller boats like sail boats are very very expensive. Last minute trips on boats of 125 people like we were on vary from 5000-6000. We got a super awesome never to be repeated deal since I was on a conference on the ship. So about half price. :clap:clap:clap
  4. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

Orvar is 62. Dan is 42. I am shudder..... 48! We met Norbert from Vancouver in guatemala in 2013 and he is over 70.

[​IMG][/url]Panajachel Guatemala 1

I am smiling most of the time how could I not I gave up a 60 plus hours a week job to ride my bike where ever I want! Next time I am in a not so fun situation I will post a shot for you!!
    knight likes this.
  5. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We got these suits before the trip in 2012. We had worn them for less than 10 times when they both delaminated and were no longer waterproof when we were in Colombia. Rev'tt and Revzilla were awesome and fully replaced both suits at no cost to us well after the warrantee was over.

The second set we picked up when we were in the USA last December. We only wore them 4 times. The last time was in the mountains of Peru when it rained/poured/ and snowed all day. The water pools in the crotch and eventually soaks you. Mine is limited to that. Dan's is worse and he was wet all over. I think these are OK for day rides and "riding to Starbucks", but not for adventure riding.

[​IMG]peru mtn 1 &2 34

No riding suit is waterproof despite what they say. You will always need rain gear. We took the H2O suits home and we are buying 2 piece suits. That way the top can double as a rain jacket off the bike and so we can get rid of our MEC/REI rain coats. We have not yet decided on which brand, but Frog togs are high on the list.

SP
  6. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

Yes they said this should cost us over 3000$!! They are insane. The entire work done in Canada for this issue cost less than that. The deputy Consular called Ottawa to ask what to do. It took her less than 5 minutes to sign the papers. The worst part is that WE ARE Canadian citizens and not foreigners trying to get papers done.
  7. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

We leave Vancouver October 30. We will stop of to see Mario and Fernanda in Salvador and arrive BA Nov 5. We took the front suspensions home for service by Alex at Konflict. So we will have to put the bikes back together again. We will then stay downtown in Palermo probably for a few days and then head to Uruguay and then the falls. That should get us to Sao Paulo end of Nov.

I hope we can meet up before you head to Ushuaia! WWR
  8. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    This is an area few riders go to. It is well off the beaten track.

This road has been paved beside the dirt one for more than 6 years. It is about 70 km. They have never opened it and it is already starting to deteriorate. It is like this in the south on the Ruta 40 too, there are long sections of beautiful pavement beside the washboard. it has been like this for years. We took the dirt road back, but we thought is was fun to ride the barriers and in the sand on the way to Antofagasta.

We say quite often that we look like aliens, but the white helmets are cooler and I think more visible. Dan is so tall he looks like a Stormtrooper!
  9. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    For the first leg of 10 months Daniel kept track of EVERYTHING. This included every cent spent on the road and on all expenses at home. He has it fully categorized. This was mostly to see if we could manage our travelling lifestyle financially. After this we saw it was about the same every month and we were below our budget. So he gave it up. That does not mean we don't keep an eye on things it just means we don't record every item we buy. If you want details you can PM him( bcdano).
  10. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    You are still very young, wishing you guys all the happiness on this adventure :clap
    You are my wife's age, wish she was adventurous like you :wink:
    Unfortunately she does not ride and wouldn't enjoy living on a bike :eek1

She does love animals, (big animal rights protector) so yesterday I showed her the multiple pages of your trip to Antarctica, she loved it.
    I could leave tomorrow and be on the road for the rest of my life, but kids and bills prevent me :cry
  11. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    Best photo on the Salar :clap

I have noticed you are carrying two wooden chairs, where the hell do you store the chairs? :eek1

They seem heavy and bulky :wink:
  12. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    I thought the 800GS had tubeless tires :huh

Did Dan make any changes?
  13. CourtRand

CourtRand Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    those pics in el salvador looked awesome. especially the oysters. what a great place.
  14. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    Weren't you guys afraid of riding into these areas?

So many people all around you guys :eek1
  15. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    Wow, I'm caught up, haven't done much at work these couple of days.

Been taking lots of notes :lol3

I was surprised by your disappointment with canyon del pato as that is one place I see in a lot of RR's.

The Death Road is one on my notes, love the picture of Dan on the edge of the road :clap

I looked up the air ticket from Buenos Aires to San Salvador and came up with $867 one way per person. :wink:

Then I looked up San Salvador to Vancouver and came up as $599

Is that in line with what you guys paid?

When are you going back? I can't wait to continue reading :lol3
  16. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

Well you can do what our Swedish friend Orvar and Our Scottish friend Steve did. Have the wife join for 2-3 weeks intermittently. That way they can take in the sites they really want to see, but not have to ride all the way there. We are loving the adventure. Now that you are all caught up you will have to wait until November for more!!! That way you might get some work done :)
  17. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

These are Kermit chairs. They go in the Ortlib bag on my bike with the tent. They are 4 x 6 x 22 inches when packed in their bag. They weigh 5 Lbs. They are awesome!! That and our Hammock are our luxury items, but well worth the weight and space.
  18. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    We made no changes, but we did consider getting new rims, but they are very expensive. We decided the stock was good enough and despite punishing them we are happy we did not spend the money.

Dan's F 800 GS standard issue has tubes. In 20 months on the road he has had to repair a flat tire 3 times.
    Sara's F650 GS standard issue is tubless. Dan has not had to repair it! :evil
  19. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Court

Yes we enjoy El Salvador. We will stop there for a week on the way back to BA in November. Your new promotional video is awesome!!!! We will be back in Ecuador some day riding for sure. LOVE LOVE it!!

S & D
  20. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

No not really. They were pretty good except for the guys with the ropes. On this trip there are only 2 places in 20 months where we have felt worried for our personal saftey.

1. Tuba City Arizona.
    2. Huston Texas.

So much for being killed, kidapped, and otherwise hassled in Mexico and environs south!!
    knight likes this.