Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BcDano, Jul 19, 2012.

1. SignalX

SignalX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you all secure your gear? I saw some is in a tube and some strapped. I am curious for the scenario where you pull up to a restaurant or something and have to walk away from the bikes for a bit.
  2. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Heya Sara, sounds great, not sure where we will be but meeting up again definately on the cards, be weary though the Brasilan girls nearly as pretty as you are so you have some sttiff competition :D

We have some contacts now too so can swing you those too.

Have fun dudes and see you soon

Cheers A
  3. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    With Canyon del Pato. I think the ride to get there up the 3S and 3N was better than the ride in the canyon it self. I think we were disappointed because so many people said it was the best ride anywhere. There are so many more beautiful and cool roads. That said if coming South head east from the Pan American at Trujillo and then down the 3N. Ride the "canyon" up and back from the 3 and then head south on 3 to Caraz.

The Death road is not to be missed and not because it is dangerous (though the mountain bikers may make it so), but because it is very beautiful both getting there and back from La Paz and the ride itself. I love that picture of Dan too!! He looks so cool!

That is about it. Its a good thing we are home for the summer to work to pay for flights like this and the trip expenses. We flew thru LA on the way up but we wont make that mistake again. We are going back thru Huston. Our flight Vancouver to San Salvador is Oct 30. We Fly to BA Nov 5... We should be back on the road to Uruguay by about the 15 th.... :clap
  4. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    The tube on Dan's bike has two full bike covers. Mine had 2 heated jackets, but Dan brought his home as he hardly used it. So i will have room to move some other stuff around and into there. Dan made them from PVC pipe and well caps. They lock and are totally water tight.

The tent and chairs are in the Ortlieb bag on my bike and we leave them there all the time when we are not camping with a pack safe on the bag.

If we leave Dan's bike and we have his Ortlieb (all our clothes and shoes and personal stuff) we have a second pack safe otherwise this and the tank bag is all we take into a hotel.

The tank bag on his bike we just unclip and take if we are leaving the bike for a short time somewhere we can not see it. It does have straps that make into a back pack if needed. We always cover the bikes when we leave them. It is the best security device ever.

:evil
  5. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    The contacts would be great thanks email me.

What about the Brazilian men????? I will need something to do while Dan is Kite surfing every day!

Hugs to Ellen I hope she is recovering mentally and physically. I will shoot you an email about roads, accom, and places to eat/see on the route South once you both are back to Argentina. I hope you plan down the 40 up the Careterra or at least back and forth south of Chos Malal as both routes are great.
  6. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Now THAT says a lot about the state of violence in America!
  7. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    FWIW, my experience with Frog Togs: They are VERY delicate to tears induced by branches or similar. I have them in my top case on my commute bike and honestly apart from breathing better than other rain gear I've tried, I don't really think much about them. They are waterproof to a point (like all rain gear), the crotch ALWAYS gets wet when water pools up (like all rain gear). The zippers are very bad quality, I doubt they would stand up to prolonged overland travel. I would not buy them again.
  8. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Heya Sara

Sweetas will compile a list for you no worries.

Ellen is good M & P, shrugged it off as a bad day, the bigger problem is trying to repace the gear that got cut, torn and stolen, hopefully here is Brasil it is 1st world for the most and the probability better.

Cheers Andi
  9. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice!!! we will keep looking then. Sara
  10. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Daniel went to check out Mario’s new Touratech location and his new moto!

[​IMG] DSC05143

[​IMG] DSC05142

[​IMG] DSC05144
  11. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    I have the Aerostich Darrien Light jacket and Darrien Regular pants. I've had pretty good luck with keeping dry with this combo. A few times I hit some very heavy rains on the CDR and they came through fine. But they're expensive - and I definitely had to wash them and then use various sprays to keep water from beading on them.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever ridden in a sustained heavy downpour that would really test it.
  12. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:

Thanks!! Anyone else out there have suggestions.
  13. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    It is great to be home in Vancouver in the summer! The views are stunning.

[​IMG] IMG_2663

[​IMG] IMG_2759

[​IMG]
    IMG_2767

[​IMG]
    IMG_2774
    knight likes this.
  14. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    No visit here is complete without a trip to Granville Island.

[​IMG] IMG_2726

[​IMG] IMG_2731

[​IMG] IMG_2730

[​IMG] IMG_2728

[​IMG] IMG_2733

[​IMG] IMG_2750

[​IMG] IMG_2749
    knight likes this.
  15. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    The flowers are blooming.

[​IMG] IMG_2738

[​IMG] IMG_2660

[​IMG] IMG_2684

[​IMG] IMG_2708
    knight likes this.
  16. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Daniel’s family had a welcome home party for us complete with DQ icecream cake.

[​IMG] IMG_2700

[​IMG] IMG_2697

Luckily we were not riding this day!!

[​IMG] IMG_2777
    knight likes this.
  17. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently rode about 280 miles with light to moderate rain. I had on a Tourmaster rain jacket and pants over Tourmaster waterproof riding pants and still got wet in the crotch. I'm pretty sure it wasn't incontinence. I think I'll try some tent seam treatment. Vancouver is beautiful. I'm sure it feels good to be home.
  18. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks maybe we should just seam seal our H2O suits since it seems the consensus is no rain gear seams to withstand real rain!

:norton
  19. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Hey Sarra and Dan, just thought I would chime into the rain gear debate, since I used the Hogg Toggs and fond them to be very good except they would get wet in the crotch area after prolonged (2hrs plus) riding in the rain. On days that I know it would rain all day I would add the liner into the Rev&#8217;it pants plus use the Hogg Toggs as an outer protector and this would keep me dry no matter what. They hold up good but the jacket eventually did shred to death on the last few days going down the coastal road back to BA. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Hogg Togs are made by the same company as the Frogg Toggs but are easier to put on over your boots so that you don&#8217;t need to take them off.<o:p></o:p>
    Would I use them again, sure would, unless someone has a less then $2000 suit that will guaranteed do everything. I&#8217;m all ears.<o:p></o:p>
  20. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the chime in!! We are so open to all advice on this topic. The rev'tt liner does work great except when it rains after you have left for the day without it on. This does not help with the actual suit getting soaked and heavy. We are just not fans of the multilayer suit systems. The next suits we buy will be 1 layer and so we are looking to get new overwear that actually works now.

SP