Finding Unpaved Roads (on Google maps)

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by baerrus, May 8, 2018.

1. baerrus

baerrus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a long GPX track that I got from a buddy and I ran into a simple problem. How to verify which roads are paved and which are unpaved along that track. In other words, is there a way to display a google map (or perhaps other mapping source) to clearly mark unpaved roads in a different color?
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    You can check out your state's department of roads website. Often, they will have individual county maps that clearly show paved vs gravel vs unimproved.
  3. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/openroute-service-maps.1293001/

upload the route and you can see details for the track such as steepness and road type either on the track or as graph
  4. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer

Oddometer:
    As a last resort, load the GPX file into Furkot (or something similar - maybe Google Earth will take GPXs?) and examine the track in satellite photo overlay. It's tedious but definitive 'cause you can clearly identify paved/unpaved as of the date of the photo (and most are pretty recent.) You'll have'ta color code the track yourself.
  5. baerrus

baerrus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is what I have been doing but there is gotta be a better way.
  6. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Openstreetmap.org in Edit mode will show you paved vs unpaved, assuming that that data has been tagged on the roads you're looking at. Unpaved roads appear with a "wavy" or "jagged" border, whereas paved (or untagged) roads appear straight.

You have to sign up as an editor to do this, which is both free and accessible with numerous pre-existing accounts (i.e. you can sign in with your Google account).

If you scroll about halfway down the page here you can see what I mean.
    baerrus and CapeMan like this.
  7. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can also see the road surface info using the "Humanitarian" layer , without needing to sign up. BTW
  8. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I just checked and it doesn't show me any difference between paved/untagged and unpaved.
  9. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you using the Humanitarian layer?

As an example : https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-28.1086/152.1267&layers=H

This is an area about 60 Km from me, Peters Road starts as sealed from the Cunningham Hwy, then goes to gravel, then for a section past Watts Road it is sealed again and then turns to gravel before reaching Freestone Road. This is zoomed in to the 200m/500ft level. I think I found the map key available in the OSM wiki - Humanitarian layer. HTH
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, for the time being, if you have the Track showing on the map in Furkot, you can use the Google StreetView feature to see if the roads that your Track follows are highlighted by StreetView. StreetView has not mapped out very many unsealed road (Paved, Sealed, Concrete, etc.)