Fingers Crossed. Yamaha T7

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Gorp, Nov 7, 2016.

1. ErÑete

ErÑete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1520238646562.jpg 1,78 m
  2. Peke

Peke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The T7 should be a lot bigger, I wil look shite on it.
  3. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    Valet parking for T7 in Australia nice!
  4. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    That's interesting - I'm the same height. I'm guessing the seat height is around 900mm, judging by his feet.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1520238646562 (1).jpg
    I didn't know Justin Timberlake was a T7 fan.
  6. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Drive Mag Riders just published a first review of the F850GS.

505lbs. 853cc.
    ≤445lbs. 689cc.

Both are P. Twin. 270° crank.

Price should be $2,000-4,000 less on the 700.
    I guess these bikes really do not compete.
  7. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already went down a different path and bought a Husky 701, so I’m not as anxious for this bike. But I’ve gotta say that it won’t necessarily be a a failure if it’s in the low 400s (sub 400 would be a game changer). I had a KLR and a Sertao, both around 440ish, and with 70 hp, higher end suspension and a six speed, they would have been really really good for all around ADV riding. They actually were great ADV bikes as they were if you understood their limits.

If those Dino-thumpers were 440, and my new Husky is about 340, I’m thinking the T7 comes in around 425, especially being a twin, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it hits 450...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I think it is just about clever engineering. For instance, making a bike that is engineered for 3 gallons under the seat, but with a removeable tank that adds another 3 gallons. A light subframe, but an optional luggage package with built in subframe braces. A stock thin single seat, but an optional beefed up passenger seat that works with the subfame braces. A minimal wind shield but a drop on expansion kit that increases the height and width of the pocket and adds more crash protection. Then you could have a light off roader that converts to a 2 up tourer in less than 20 minutes.

Alacrity likes this.
  9. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I expect Yamaha will have a farkles catalogue as thick as a divers watch to go with this bike. If they don't, other companies will, probably will anyway.
    If it's a typical UJM, conservative, reliable and customisable then it will sit smack bang in the middle of the ADV market and appeal to a broad range of riders looking for versatility.
    Oh, that would be me.
    Montana Maniac and John Ashman like this.
  10. Alacrity

Alacrity Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, It’s less the engineering than it is the cost and the demand, and to some extent corporate tradition and inertia.

The reality is, for every 1 of us there’s a decent number of folks who will never have this off road, will never go on more than a weekend trip, will never set up the suspension correctly, let alone swap anything out.

I go out of my way to talk to AfTwin owners. Not one I’ve met out can tell me how the bike is off-road. One guy commented on how filthy my bike was “You ever wash it!?!” :lol3 It was sparkling that morning. A buddy chatted up a monster of a guy riding an AT - “It was the tallest thing I saw at the dealer” :fpalm

Luckily for us, those folks are subsidizing a segment that would be reduced otherwise. They’ll never read this. I’ll thank them anyways. :super
  11. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    ATs must be selling. I saw a whole swarm of them yesterday in Baja. Also a whole boatload of GSs for sale at decent prices.
    Alacrity likes this.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use my AT offroad pretty hard.I would be happy to tell you what I think of it.Suspension is far from stock.My review on AT for offroad work is not nice.If T7 is at least 100 lbs lighter will trade real fast.
  13. Alacrity

Oddometer:
    In no way besmirching the AT or AT owners - realize when I’m elsewhere I’ll run into like minds.

I’ve got a pretty good idea now that seems to jive with yours. Just surprised the number of AT owners who buy it as a road bike, but the same could be said for GS or any other. Just making the point we don’t get real use stuff because most buyers don’t do real use.
    Junglejeff1 and Old Git Ray like this.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And it sucks.I fell for the honda bait hook line and sinker.Will test ride the T7 when it comes out to make sure I do not make this mistake twice.I should have picked up a big thumper instead for my use.
  15. Alacrity

Oddometer:

AA789DF6-83C9-43BB-BBED-3A99D30BEFED.jpeg

:deal :dukegirl
    DockingPilot and Junglejeff1 like this.
  16. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:

Interesting perspective.

For 75% of the riders out there, the AT is only for forest roads. I'm one of them.
    I would pick the AT over the DL1000 for a couple of reasons.

87 octane
    21" front.

Both allow the AT to go a little more away from civilization and give me good odds of making it back.
    With how slow I rode, I would not even need Traction control.
    The bike would see 80+mph a couple times a year.

Sadly, at $13,000+, I'm better off with a KLR, a Versys X 300, CRF250L Rally ABS, RE Himalayan.

I respect the Yamaha 700, but the bike is too Bad ass for me.
    I'm sure a lot of KTM guys will enjoy this as commuter and weekend warrior bike.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sold a klr650 last year and that bike would chew the AT up and spit it out offroad.Think I may have to go ktm or husky to get the bike I want.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  18. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The horror, the horror... :photog
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IT's fat and fluffy.Let her on top and she will break your legs.
  20. Alacrity

Oddometer:
    Juice,

Again I’m in no way denigrating ATs. It just never occurred to me that anyone would buy an AT and not go over the landscaping and through the side lot on the way home from the dealer. I can’t skip a puddle or a curb. I’m sure Liz Hurley’s a helluva chess player, but if I told ya how excited was to play chess with her....well you get my point. So I’m still floored when I ask folks I see out - and they tell me “dirts not really my thing”.

I’ve no illusions - the 700s gonna have corporate suspension, bin parts and likely short legs. There will be solutions - range likely the hardest to solve. But it looks like the best choice ...for me. I may find out I’m wrong. But least we’re getting stuff like the AT and the 700 and the 790. Lets not overlook the fact that no so long ago was not the case.

If folks like these bikes for any reason, I’m glad they’re being bought. Everybody digs something different - which is cool, otherwise every line would be too long.
    Montana Maniac and Junglejeff1 like this.