[Finished] Austin -> DC, Pretty Curves and Excruciating Sunburns

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Milqman, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Milqman

Milqman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 Summers ago I spent 3 months riding around the US [Ride Report Here], but I haven't done a single trip longer than 100 miles since then, and nothing on my current bike.

I'm a little worried the scope of this week trip wasn't epic enough to post here, but the only other forum is day trips and that doesn't really fit this either. Where's the "week trips" forum? I'm a big noob and sorry if I broke the rules with this post.

[​IMG]

In December 2018, an ADVrider @Saltheman stayed with me on his coast to coast trip. [His ride report here] and I've ever since he left I've been seriously itching for an excuse to adventure.

I finished my commercial pilot training and accepted a job living on the road doing aerial survey. No home, no base, live wherever the plane and jobsite is, travel all over north america. Perfect. So I sold all of my belongings, had an unfortunate breakup with my girlfriend, and got ready to road-trip my motorcycle back to DC to put it in storage with my parents.

[​IMG]

Here's the google timeline recording of my basic route.

First thing were some quality of life improvements. My best friend in Austin is a BMW motorcycle mechanic and managed to snag some cases from a total'd bike that insurance didn't take when they collected the bike from his shop. Tossed some stickers on it and boom, looks almost like I'm not trying to cover damage with stickers. He thought my exposed charging cable was ugly, so we ran power under plastic so I could charge my phone with a clean looking bike.

[​IMG]
    "Be Safe :) - Love Dan"

Day 1: Excruciating fuck up. Austin ---> Memphis

I wanted to go Austin--> NoLA --> Atlanta, but there was rain all along the southern coast, so I hit up a friend in Memphis who was out of town but let me stay at his place.

[​IMG]

First leg is just excruciating awful boring highway. I wear sunscreen on my arms, neck, and face, but for some reason I decided I was gonna ride in a t-shirt instead of my jacket, and I didn't tuck it in.

12 hours did this to my back. Fuck my life. If you're going to be an idiotic squid, tuck in your damn shirt or wear sunscreen on your lower back. I have never had a burn this excruciating in my entire life.

[​IMG]

Back living in Austin I had met a girl who was on her own cross country moto-trip and we stayed in touch.

[​IMG]

She lives in Atlanta, Atlanta was on the way and at the base of the blue ridge parkway which I really wanted to ride. She and her roommate were kind enough to host me for a couple days. She ended up being pretty busy with work during the days, but her roommate was free so the two of us did a lot of exploring Atlanta.

[​IMG]

One of my favorite places was "Brother Moto" a coffee shop / DIY motorcycle garage. [​IMG]
    Absolutely wicked spot and everyone in Atlanta should support them.

Brother Moto also hosts a group ride, so when my friend got off work we rode out to it. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] It was fucking awesome. Lots of people, very diverse people and bikes. Was really taken aback by how much I loved Atlanta, great city.

I left Atlanta a lot later in the day than I was planning, so I winded my way up to Asheville to stay with some really cool people who build "tiny homes" on trailers and have a couple good beers before starting the actual bulk of the best part of the parkway. [​IMG]

Anyway, on to the main event. The roads start getting twistier and I start getting that excitement you don't get living in flat boring shitty texas. [​IMG]

[​IMG] That's what I'm fucking talking about. Mountains, curves, beauty, nature, endlessly for miles and miles and miles. Perfect temperature for a fullface, jacket, hoodie, and riding jeans. Yes. Please.

[​IMG] Everyone I meet in Appalachia is a beautiful adventurous soul. People living in vans, people getting away from the city. I just love it and I love everyone. The people I meet see the Texas Tags and just come up to me and talk. I love it. [​IMG]

I ride all the way on the BRP to Roanoke. The ride is gorgeous beyond belief. Amazing. Just exceptional. I kept finding myself on the edge of 85 in a 35s. Yikes, I'm just having so much damn fun I keep getting carried away. Usually the BRP apparently has a lot of traffic, but I found very little, and there were spots of great visibility to pass or cars would just pull over for me in the hairpins.

Highlights of the parkway included the highest "mountain" east of the mississippi. Just very pretty, very gorgeous, very twisty. hard to capture in camera phone photographs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sleepy little pretty Roanoke for the night. My family is Jewish, but I'm not very religious, just basically do my best to be a good person. My host was a born again christian who spent 25 minutes trying to convert me so that was pretty un-cool, but I'm not the kind of person who can be rude to a stranger in their home, even if I'm paying to be there.

As you get almost to MD the BRP starts to get a lot flatter and less windy, but I was still having fun. [​IMG]

I've never been a sporty rider and my boxer isn't exactly a sports bike, but I did manage to get my Road 5s down to the logo and was extremely proud of my very limited riding ability.

[​IMG]

Anyway, that's my trip, hope y'all enjoyed it.
    DCrider likes this.
  2. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Welcome back to DC. So when you flying out to your 1st pilot gig?
  3. Milqman

Milqman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir, pleasure to be back. Somehow I had convinced myself 495 isn't as bad as I remembered, boy am I stupid.

Monday I leave for Florida to go train in the 'mighty' Aztec
    [​IMG]

But my job doesn't actually start right away, so I'll be back in DC for a bit longer when training finishes.
  4. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Nic, so which school in FL?