Finland - Turku - motor maintenance

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Ronnie de Pony, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Ronnie de Pony

Ronnie de Pony Yamaha Tricker XG250

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody,

I am Dutch and I left my motorbike (Yamaha Tricker XG250) in Turku, for some riding in Finland now and then. I do not know my way around there, but I am looking for a place where they can do maintenance: an honest job for an honest price. Which place do you guys & girls have good experiences with?

Thanks!
    Daphne
  2. Ronnie de Pony

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, no people from the Turku region here? It cannot be that I have to ride it back to The Netherlands, for a little maintenance? :D
    (Or... Can it? :dunno)
  3. Seikkailu_R

Seikkailu_R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello!

Just basic maintenance or repairs?
  4. Sukke

Sukke n00b

Oddometer:
  5. Ronnie de Pony

Oddometer:
    Hi, it's been a while since I've been on the forum. Thanks for your replies!

In this case it was basic maintenance. It went to a place called Flywheel. I am going to Finland in a couple of weeks from now, and will find out soon if it rides smoothly again.

Daphne
  6. Seikkailu_R

Seikkailu_R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good you got bike in to maintenance!

Long stay in finland?
    There is exellent "pystymettä" rally at end of october, at hauho, little north of hämeenlinna...
  7. Sfcootz

Sfcootz fap:hoon Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. simondippenhall

simondippenhall Simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    Any restrictions on leaving EU registration Moto in Finland? And any recommendations on storage places? (Daphne who did you use?)
    Thanks !
  9. Sarawyn

Sarawyn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi! Yeah as mentioned "Yamaha Center" is the importer/dealer/service for Yamaha bikes here. They should have a store near Turku. I haven't personally used them though.
    "BikeTeam Raisio" is also near Turku but mostly does BMW's and Triumph.

As far as I know no restrictions with leaving bikes here. All I can find about that is from our tax office stating;
    "If you have permanent residence in a foreign country you may, on certain conditions, use a vehicle that is not taxed in Finland when staying in Finland.
    Temporary tax-exempt use of a vehicle in Finland is permitted on the following conditions:
    • You have permanent residence in a foreign country.
    • The vehicle in question is registered outside Finland.
    • The vehicle is used for a maximum of 6 months during a period of 12 months.
    • When used in Finland, the vehicle must have motor liability insurance that is valid in Finland."
    ( https://www.vero.fi/en/individuals/vehicles/car_tax/temporary_taxexempt_use/tourist-vehicles/ )

In practice I'd guess with EU plates nobody really cares, it's so easy to cross borders anyway. Bikes have no annual requirement for MOT nor for other inspections here, so basically we are free to ride for indefinite time without interruptions as long as the insurance is valid when the engine is running. :p (no need to have insurance valid when its in storage, just when it's "on the road".. but of course insurance covers damages during storage sometimes so ??? that's a personal choise)
  10. simondippenhall

simondippenhall Simondippenhall

Oddometer:
    Thanks, very helpful!