Fire Closures -- Hwys 50 & 88

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RockyRaccoon, Oct 15, 2004.

1. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    If you're heading over the Sierra this weekend, check road conditions as Hwys 50 and 88 are (or were as of last night) closed due to forest fires. :(:
  2. SKWERL

SKWERL Squirrelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And it is amazing the amount of ash and crap that is in the air right now here in the central valley. Rode to work today (Newcastle->Roseville 16 miles) and I had a bunch of while ash flecks all over my gear! Probably makes sense to be one of those cruiser guys with a bandana over your face right now....

bryan
  3. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kurt

Radwife and I are head'n to Denver in da RV, sat am...We will take 80
  4. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    I was riding up that way on wednesday, 50 was open and 88 was closed at omo ranch/ pi pi valley turn off. The fire on 88 was burning on the south side of the hwy, so I rode thru pi pi and took mostly dirt roads to silver fork. More dirt up to stawberry creek, hit 50 and rode down to pollock pines for lunch. After lunch did 50/50 dirt/paved through grizzley flat back through pi pi to 88. Ride was fun in a erie sorta way, the sunlight was so red it looked like paint on the road. I stopped at the O.K. Corral near Pioneer, where the locals were watching the news and said Kyburz was burning, I was there only 3 hours earlier! ( it started near wrights lake, No I wasn't there and yes I have a spark arrestor) Depending on where the actual fire lines are there's still plenty of good off-road available at a safe distance and away from emergency crews. Some of the sights were outrageous, sorry no camera. So if you're looking for a different ride........

(oh, use common sense and don't ride into the action)
  5. dwestmodesto

dwestmodesto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow is the "tech daze" with the guys from the BMW Sport Tour group up in Placerville. I wonder if it is going to still happen. I am planning on going...riding from Modesto early in the morning and being in Placerville by around 8:00am.
  6. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    Placerville is fine. Hwy 50 is closed a few miles farther east at the Sly Park exit in Pollock Pines.
  7. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I came around that fire on Thursday, via Tahoe/Markleeville/Ebbetts, on my way south. This shot was taken on 4 just below Ebbetts Pass: you can see the smoke in the air over the mountain......

[​IMG]

Stopped at Sorenson's for a snack and to reminisce about Sierra Soiree: the aspens were glorious ! :D

mully