Firearms through Canada to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by hpa_missouri, Feb 17, 2008.

1. hpa_missouri

hpa_missouri Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here it goes, my first post.

I've been reading for a long time and am absolutely amazed at the amount of information and experiences to be found here. ADVRIDER definitely "boggles the mind".

Anybody have direct experience taking a firearm through Canada (legally, of course) to Alaska?

It appears to be fairly easy but wanted to know if someone has done it recently (post 9/11). I've taken both handguns and rifles into Canada, but it was back in 1998.

I'm planning on heading up North to the "last frontier" this summer and thinking about taking along a takedown lever action rifle.

thanks,

Harry
  2. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    You picked a hell of a subject for youre first post.:lol3
  3. Namron

Namron Old Fart

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Department of Justice
    NEW REQUIREMENTS FOR VISITORS BRINGING FIREARMS INTO CANADA

OTTAWA, December 22, 2000 The Honourable Anne McLellan, Minister of Justice and Attorney General for Canada today announced the coming into force of new requirements for visitors bringing firearms into Canada.
    The Firearms Act requires every firearm owner in Canada to have a licence or valid Firearms Acquisition Certificate by January 1, 2001.
    "These requirements will ensure that visitors coming to Canada are under the same obligations as Canadian residents regarding firearms," said Minister McLellan.
    As of January 1, 2001, visitors who do not have a Canadian firearms licence will need to report their firearms to customs at the border, complete a non-resident firearms declaration form in triplicate, have it confirmed by a customs officer and pay a $50 (Canadian) fee.
    Once confirmed, this declaration form will act as a temporary licence and registration certificate while in Canada and is valid for 60 days. Visitors may renew their temporary licence any time during a 12-month period without paying an additional fee. Unlicensed non-residents who plan to borrow a firearm in Canada must obtain a Temporary Borrowing Licence.
    Visitors will be able to purchase ammunition with Canadian firearms licence, a confirmed firearms declaration form or a Temporary Borrowing Licence.
    Copies of the non-resident Firearms Declaration Form are available by calling 1-800-731-4000, or at the border, or at www.cfc.gc.ca under "visitors". The Temporary Firearms Borrower's licence (non-residents) forms are available by calling 1-800-731-4000 or at www.cfc.gfc.ca under "visitors". The Borrower's form must be completed before arrival into Canada and the cost of the licence is $30 (Canadian).
    Firearm owners visiting Canada will be subject to the same safe storage and transportation regulations as Canadian firearm owners. They are prevented from bringing in firearms that are prohibited in Canada and restricted firearms will require an Authorization to Transport before they arrive at the border.
    "These public safety measures apply to all Canadians and to visitors. We will continue to work closely with members of the firearms community to ensure that the law is applied fairly and with as little disruption to visitors and outfitters as possible," said McLellan.
    While the licensing provisions and new requirements are coming into effect on January 1, 2001, certain sections of the regulations governing public agents and the import/ export requirements are being deferred until Jan.1, 2003.
    Firearm licence applications are available at local post offices or by calling 1 800-731-4000 or at Service Canada Centres and at www.cfc.gc.ca.

Fhis is the basik for rifels. but dont even try a pistol. Do a search as this has been talked about a lot here~
  4. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canada Firearms Centre is the place to go. You can call them and talk to a real human who will answer your questions and direct you to the proper forms.
  5. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see I've been 205'd! :lol3
  6. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Summer can't get here quick enough so we can get away from these danged computers. :ricky :ricky :ricky :ricky :ricky
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
  7. gregg

gregg gregg

Oddometer:
    I wonder if you could ship your firearms to a dealer in Alaska and pick it up there? Then I wonder why you could not ship them or it back to yourself in the US??? Come to think about it why could you not ship it to Alaska to yourself and pick it up and ship it home yourself??? You can ship a firearm to a gunsmith and he can ship it back to you so why not ship it to yourself??
  8. RickE

RickE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    read about shipping (and more firearms stuff) here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States#Shipping_Firearms

regards,
    Rick
  9. hpa_missouri

Oddometer:
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is "205"

Harry
  10. BigX

BigX n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer:
    Your first post and it's gotta be about guns through Canada?!?!?! :eek1

It's the "fightin' words" topic. :2guns

Good luck with the anti asshats.
  11. hpa_missouri

Oddometer:

I just figured as soon as they saw "guns", they would faint and I'd get some form of positive feedback before they woke up :D
  12. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Harry,
    Do yourself a favor... On second thought, you probably won't be doing yourself a favor... go on over to Regional Forums > GWN and check out the list of threads. This subject has been discussed (and cussed) ad nauseum over there. :puke2
    And welcome to posting here - we're weird, but on the whole relatively harmless. :D
  13. hpa_missouri

Oddometer:
    That is one option. It's fairly easy to do depending on where you live in the U.S. Usually a shipper will take them without problems if you follow the laws. It's just such a hassle.

If the regs haven't changed in CND then you just need to declare the rifle or shotgun and they give you a temporary permit that lasts for something like 60 days. Since I plan on being back in the U.S. within thirty days or so, I should be ok with the temporary permit.

Forget handguns though. The killer is the Canadian ATT or "Authorization to Transport". You have to tell them WAY in advance, your EXACT route to where ever you're going, your EXACT timetable and EXACTLY where you'll be staying each and every night you're in Canada. If they accept it, they will then give you the ATT and you better not deviate one mile from that route. If they happen to catch you off that route, you could be in Canada for a long time.

I was just trying to find out if someone had taken a rifle or shotgun through since 9/11 to see if the process had changed. I'd hate to get to the border and discover they had implemented some new hoop to jump through to keep the Canadians safe from the gun crazy gringo hunters.

Harry
  14. hpa_missouri

Oddometer:
    Thanks Alcan Rider,

I was just trying to find out if anyone had taken a rifle or shotgun through since 9/11 to see if the process had changed. I'm well versed on how it used to be. I lived it for a couple of years.

Do you live near the alcan?

Harry
  15. Big__AL

Big__AL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HA I hear they have REAL nice prisons up there....esp compared to ours....might be a nice way to spend a couple years....if you can go without ridin...umm forget that.
  16. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll make some calls and post on this subject later. We get you Yanks up here all the time to go hunting. They all bring guns. If you bring a long gun into Canada, declare it at the border, inbound and outbound, I can't see a problem. Hand guns? Leave them at home. It can be done, but only for a competion. Really:freaky NOT worth the PITA factor.

Just a thought, but it might be easier to just buy a cheap 12 gage pump in AK?
  17. 20scout

20scout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skysailor may have a good idea but then what do you do with it when your done.....try to sell it? Talked to a good friend of mine who is a gun dealer and he said to leave the hand gun at home.......NO OPTIONS on this! Long guns are no problem as long as you declare them but how or why would you want to carry one on a bike? From what I have read on this thread so far, I would have to agree with most everyone on the fact that perhaps for this trip, you leave it at home. I carry too but would not chance it. Remember, Canada is a different country with different laws. Great country but as a US citizen, you don't have the same rights there as you do here. Wish you luck on your trip and have fun!!
  18. hpa_missouri

Oddometer:
    I actually thought about that one. I would think used guns would be fairly common up there.

But then again, from what I can tell, the state has less than 700,000 people living there. That's not even a big city down here. Not too much more than live in Kansas City.

Of course, that's one of the main reasons we're all going there, isn't it?

Just so I'm clear on one thing. I would NEVER try to take a handgun through the border crossing without declaring it. Those guys have had years to perfect their trade (keeping stuff from crossing the border) and the odds are WAY up there that a person would be caught.

Harry
  19. hpa_missouri

Oddometer:
    I was thinking you don't really need one while you're actually moving down the highway. That's why something like a Taylor takedown lever action seemed a good possibility. It breaks down to something around 24" or less in length. When I think you could need one is while camping or, god forbid, you break down and end up sitting on the side of the road for long periods of time. You may be able to outrun a large animal while on your bike, but you have absolutely no chance when both of you are on foot (or paw).

Having said that, if I was traveling with another biker, I wouldn't have to out run the bear, I'd just have to out run the other biker. :D

Harry
  20. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    There are several threads every year on how it is now, including how it was, how it should be, why it shouldn't be, why Canadians are such a__holes, why Alaskans are such a__holes, why you do/don't need a gun anyway, etc. :rofl

About 140 miles from Tok and MP1314. But I took my username from the fact that some years I make several trips up and down the Alcan, and one of my bikes earned the name "Alcan Annie" from running me back and forth so many times.