Firestone tires ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ozmoses, Oct 17, 2019.

1. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rained out and running errands, I noticed a sign for a free alignment check at a Firestone autocare shop so I stopped in.

Guy was friendly and knowledgeable, there was no hard sell while we talked tires.

Prices seem reasonable, tread wear warranty about average for P metrics , and several tread patterns to choose from.

They also have a lifetime alignment for $199- front end alignments,contractually, for as long as you own the vehicle.

That is as much as the dealer charges for a one time alignment which they claimed was needed,though I disagreed; the Firestone numbers showed well within spec.

What am I missing? Do Firestone tires suck ??

Yes,I know,the all blew up on Ford explorers and now we all have to suffer the vagaries of the TPMS system but otherwise...?
  2. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Ford issue.
    The 721 issue.
    The 500 issue.

No Firestone tires will ever be on anything I own.

As to lifetime alignments.... That is to get you to keep coming back.

When we had a "lifetime" job come into a shop I worked at (1980s), we were told to "find something".

The shop is a chain store. Once, an elderly lady came in with her Chevette for snow tires. The car had a new set of blue Monroe shocks on it. The "lead tire tech" told the lady that those shocks were the wrong ones. Told her she was going to get killed driving it.
    She calmly pulled out a receipt from another location (same company) for the shocks she had done the other day. She then demanded that he install the correct shocks!!!!
    I was the alignment guy.. worked there 2 weeks, then quit after seeing that.

Stuff like that is rampant in chain or budget stores.
    ohgood, concours, yamty175 and 5 others like this.
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure but, since I do brakes,etc myself and would never have a shop like that complete any major repair , the alignment deal seems pretty good. :dunno

Weren't the 721 and 500 recall campaigns from 40 years ago ??

Surely, they've straightened that out by now.
    barko1, scarysharkface and Hittman like this.
  4. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surely.
  5. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I have had the Firestone Destination LE tires as well s the AT variant in the past. I would not hesitate to buy either again especially the LE. They are a nice smooth highway tire.
    barko1, scarysharkface and Butters like this.
  6. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are exactly the tire that caught my eye.

When I was a kid, you went to Sears for tires- there were a few to choose from,winter lugs or summer radials; you chose,paid and drove off.

Simple.

Which is what I saw today in that showroom.

"Rainy days and Mondays always get me down..."
    scarysharkface likes this.
  7. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Firestone tire shops, Goodyear and Gateway have ensured I will not darken their doorways in the future since 1984. Got screwed with a compny car by poor repairs, poor, ignorant alignment (it's OK if the needle is in the green) not to forget terrible tires from all three.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never heard of Gateway,though Firestone did screw me on an alignment 30 year ago,or so...

How were the tires terrible?
    Poor tread life? Poor quality??

Are they really so different from,say,Cooper or Yokohama?
  9. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used Firestone tires on my F150, Escape and Explorer as well as other cars for a lot of years and a lot of miles going back to my switching the original bias ply tires on my Barracuda to Firestone radials in the 1970s.

My wife bought a new 1992 Explorer that was included on the tire recall. We ignored the notices for a couple of years until the originals were worn out. They had about 60,000 miles on them. That's when we took it for the recall. They gave us 5 new tires that were still on it when we were done with it when it had well over 100k. We never had to buy a tire for that car and liked the Firestones.

Those chain stores are always trying to upsell. You don't have to buy.
  10. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 50 bucks an alignment I’d have to live to 106 to get to $200 worth of alignments.
    showkey and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Firestones are just fine. The ATX was the last recall (nearly 20 years ago) and both Michelin and Goodyear have had similar things happen, but managed to keep them a whole lot quieter than Ford and Firestone did with the ATX. The lifetime alignment is not anything to want or need. As others have said, it's just a sales tactic to keep you coming back into the shop.
  12. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    Your alignment specs may be in the "green" but your vehicle may still crab down the highway and eat tires like candy. I suggest you get a bit of basic understanding about what the major alignment items- i.e. toe (in, neutral, or out) and camber (negative, none or positive) do to impact how your vehicle drives and handles before you try to understand what ANY alignment provider tries to sell you. There are lots of resources you can search to get a basic level of understanding. Don't want to get informed? Hold onto your wallet.
    Personally, I have found that, at least for me, the allowable range within the alignment category "green" areas allows an excessive amount of range and still be "acceptable. It's more critical that the categories be much closer to equal to each other on each side. The actual preferences are individual. If your preference is to just go down the road straight & have maximum tire life, use the middle of the manufacturers recommendations, make the adjustments equal on both sides within no more than half of the allowable range, and keep your tires properly inflated. Check tire pressures no less than monthly- they will naturally drop over time. And most important: make sure the steering wheel is centered before and after the alignment process is done. Most drivers naturally try to drive and center the wheel- if it wasn't properly centered when the alignment was done, you will be constantly fighting a skewed alignment, have a ride that doesn't want to go straight down the road, and eats up tires like candy.
    As far as tires, the most important thing to remember is that every thing you want your vehicle to do, be it go straight down the road, accelerate, brake or turn, and under all road and weather conditions at every speed you travel, those needs ultimately resolve themselves into how well four small, palm-sized patches of rubber are able to provide those needs. And believe me, there is a HUGE performance range within every tire category and tire type as to how each and every tire provides those needs. What is their dry road corning and braking ability compared to similar tires from other manufacturers? What about their wet road performance? Do you need winter condition performance? Is the ride quiet or loud? Is the ride soft or hard? Is ultimate mileage your highest priority? Or best fuel mileage? Check out the tire comparison tests at this site if you don't believe me. https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html.
    Find the best choice for your needs and budget after getting educated. And don't just believe whatever some sales rep at a local retail shop tells you. Their job is to make a sale, not necessarily resolve YOUR needs.
    BluByU, barko1 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  13. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gateway is a tire/mechanic service around West Tennessee. All the screwin' was on company contracts for vehicle maintenance. Could be the company directed 'the cheapest and fastest' and let the field guys suffer. My suffering was in the form of wasted time while I got chewed for not doing my job. I lost faith in Firestone as a manufacturer with tire failures and plant closings. The American tire industry dragged its feet on radial tires for years while Michelin, an expensive tire, was actually cheaper in the long run because it outlasted the bias ply three times over. Michelin made its US bid in truck tires in the 60's because they lowered operating costs. Goodyear always had some gimmick for passenger car tires. They had some inner casing tbat was to be at a higher pressure than the outer tire and this was to have "run flat" protection, yada, yada. They never told the customer of the noise and wheel tramping caused if both pressures were the same. Airing these rube goldberg jack-ass things was a complicated fire drill. Goodyear always had some BS scheme of tread patterns that were designed to impress the ignorant public. Dual tread patterns on the same casing = more traction...hot air. Today the American Cooper tires seem pretty good, quieter than Chinese Kumho which wear quickly. Yokos are great for trucks. Don't know about their car tires.
  14. AkBrian

AkBrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to the quality of the tires, but Firestone has been wholly owned by Bridgestone since 1988.
  15. crawdad

crawdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My mechanic recommended them and I ran 2 sets of Firestone destination AT’s on my Chevy Express, probably 100k+ miles total with no troubles. from NJ to CO a couple times, SC, NH 4 or 5 times towing a boat a few of them, countless trips to VA. I will likely buy them again for my truck when I’m ready.
  16. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like and keep using the Transforce AT on my old 1997 F350. Never had any problems. As to alignments, I don't trust anyone to do one successfully. I just leave my 1997 as-is and it works fine still, but it's the old monobeam front and rear. New cars and trucks that are "improved technology" most likely need more attention.
  17. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed this today,myself.
  18. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best I can find is $99.00 at a place I simply do not trust to perform it; dealer charges $189.

By that measure, $199 is more than affordable.

Luckily,my truck does not require one at present.
    Coondawg_07 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  19. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:

I don't think I ever had an F-series aligned!
    RonKZ650 likes this.
  20. Notyourpop

Notyourpop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hated working for Firestone.
    CROSSBOLT and SmittyBlackstone like this.