First 30 miles and bike is dead

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Greg di, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm very disappointed to say the least. First, the dealership can't deliver the bike to me because the brake light stayed on. Then, I finally get it and on my first 30 miles, the check engine light is on, the oil pressure light is on and the bike is cutting out and running light shit. 30 miles on a brand new bike...

I'm currently stopped for lunch to take a deep breath. I hope I can even get home.

And, the TFT has water in it from being trailered to my house in the rain!

This is not good. My first KTM and I'm not really happy. 20200209_115118.jpg
    Oeths and hondamxracer like this.
  2. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure the fuel petcocks are open on both sides of the fuel tank.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    A quick roadside check of battery and ground connections. As you probably know, the seat pops off handily with the key to reveal the battery.

I had an odd, transient low battery once, and nothing since. But after that experience I purchased an antigravity booster.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/

Good for boosts, and charging cells and such when on the road.
  4. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I just did check that and they were open. Tech did full the tank to fix the brake light issue so I was hoping he forgot to turn one on and it caused a fuel starvation issue causing the stall. It would make sense.

Got home, and after I checked the I petcocks, and power cycled the bike a couple of times the engine light went off.

I am stumped.
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I hope you find an answer, and I'm really happy to hear you made it home safe and sound. :beer

PS: It only gets better from here man. Have faith.
  6. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I'd say visit nearest dealer when you drive by and see what ecm has written to memory. In such case my first fixes would be to check ground connection and simple turn it off and on again - it's a computer you know and those things usually have ctrl, alt and delete buttons.. :thumb
    tomdubz and braaap! like this.
  7. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    How does 'water' play with the electronics in that TFT? Could it throw shorts back into the system and cause havoc?
  8. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Friend got oil light on while riding in rain with broken headlight (physically smashed) with 300 tpi.. The only reason we came up was the water in wrong place and after dried oil light went off and all good for next days..
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  9. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went back out riding because the engine light went off. And it stayed off for a little bit maybe about 7 or 8 Miles and then it came back on again and it stayed on. I told the dealer to come pick up the bike on Tuesday morning when they open and that's the best I can do at this point.

The condensation or water inside the TFT has dried up at this point but this is just ridiculous.
  10. bcbullet

bcbullet From eh to zed

Oddometer:
    Like with a boat, there are two good days with a KTM...sadly you only get one of them.

:hide
  11. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    IMG_0510.jpg
    Remember, if you spend $25k on a new Toyota Rav4 SUV it's going to be perfect. If you spend $125k on a new Mercedes GLK SUV, it's going to have some issues.

Which SUV would you rather own?

If you expect perfection off the showroom floor, you bought the wrong bike. Period.
    Trade it in on a Yamaha T7 or Honda Africa Twin, and you'll have one of the most reliable adv bikes made (but they won't have the same performance, capability, or light weight of a comparable KTM)

Life is a trade off. What matters to you?
    kdombeck, drhippie2, JimmysXR and 5 others like this.
  12. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    This sounds crazy. Really sorry you are having these troubles. Good luck, man.
    windblown101 and Bitingdog like this.
  13. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Greg di

Very disappointing for a new owner! I’d be as miffed too... Not really what one expects from KTM, probably something really simple screwed up in the ecu code.

A deep breath is a good start and hopefully when the Dealer collects it they will sort it out. Pity that the Fcuk around looses you riding time and concern... But when ‘fixt’, You will be amazed by the whole package and it’s performance!

If it was me, I’d wait till after the Dealer diagnostic / fix before flaming... There are many, many more 790’s being ridden without any issues and there are some that have (minor - easy fix) issues...
    Hope it gets sorted for you quickly!
    Wodger63, windblown101 and Greg di like this.
  14. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I went through a series of issues with the Superduke GT I owned, on multiple times I had the forks *AND* shock let go all their oil just before I was heading out on a ride. After "enough" (whatever is enough is subjective) I just wanted nothing to do with the bike. I didn't trust it and it had to go. Having the whole bike not work like that is pretty confidence draining so I don't have a problem with the OP being pissed about it and I wouldn't blame them for wanting nothing to do with the bike either. It's pretty ridiculous that a new bike straight up doesn't work.

"Fortunately" I ended up crashing the GT and breaking my back so... wait, that's not good right?

For me, when that type of thing happens, I get pretty pissed but I try to put that energy towards a solution, that solution might end up being a different bike.
  15. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    T
    That’s a bit crazy.
    My 1290 has been perfect since the day I got it. It’s a brand new bike, it should be perfect and someone obviously goofed on this 790.

OP, it’s a new bike with a full warranty, the dealer is obliged to sort it out. I wouldn’t worry. They probably forgot something silly during the PDI/set up. Make it their problem.
    Tallbastid and Greg di like this.
  16. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this is beyond normal KTM 'charachter' - make it the dealer's problem.
  17. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    It sounds like the dealer is the problem
  18. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are picking it up tomorrow and I told them I needed it back NLT Thursday.

I absolutely LOVED riding the bike off road for the hour I could. That at least makes me want to get it fixed and put my confidence in it.

Attached Files:

19. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    They are an awesome bike to ride. Very low center of gravity, amazingly capable & composed in gnarly terrain, great low rpm grunt, and rips on the street. I even found the seat supremely comfortable.

The 790 may be a good candidate for a steering stabilizer; not because of any handling issues, but because there is little sense of drama at speed. A little "insurance" for the irrational exuberance that this bike seems to encourage.

Does @Nowwhat run a stabilizer?
    2WheelNeal and TrailTrauma like this.
  20. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    naah, that's exactly KTM 'character' - random quality, if you get lucky you'll be happy (for some time) if not, you regret you ever considered orange, or - you tackle the problems and get use to work on bike.
    On mine 500 exc-f I had few times already electrical problems and learned how to fix them.