First Aid Kits

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mr_Snips, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Mr_Snips

Mr_Snips Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer:
    How many of you carry a basic first aid kit on your bike? i'd like to think of mine as actually fairly advanced (and you payed for it)

I have the following:
    • 2X "H" compression bandages
    • 2X Compressed gause rolls (#1)
    • 2X 40" tourniquets
    • 10X 3/4" x 3" adhesive bandages
    • 1X 4"x"16" burn dressing
    • 10X water purification tablets
    • 2X triangle bandages
    • 5X 2"x"4" adhesive bandages
    • 8X antibacterial ointment
    • 1X small roll of duct tape
    • 2X rolls of quick clot combat gauze

What do you guys carry?
  2. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    You gotta know someone will post that you should call emt's if injured and not apply first aid unless you are fully trained to do so. Guess that means if out in the woods and a buddy gets hurt you should let him bleed while you go get help. NOT!

I carry an off the shelf mid priced kit. Yours looks pretty decent but I know someone will suggest other items. There must be hundreds of threads on this so a search might save some grief.
  3. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last time this topic came up a couple of EMT's posted up kits that had more stuff than the first responder trauma boxes we carried on our fire trucks. They claimed to carry everything but an AED.

Anyway, yours looks about right. But I also carry a little Leatherman Micra scissors type multitool plus alcohol pads to sterilize it. That has probably seen more use for minor splinter surgery and making dressings than anything else I carry for first aid. To me it is a must have.

I recently found some individual first aid kits tailored to various jobs that I liked and issued to each of my survey field crew personnel. I figure with those when they use one we can just toss the leftovers and issue a new one because they are dirt cheap. To me that is better than having them never replace what they use out of the truck OSHA type kit. These packs lack serious stuff like tourniquets and compression bandages but are very convenient and might be worth using on a bike:

http://www.northernsafety.com/safety/first-aid/first-aid-kits-supplies/first-aid-kits/zip-packs

But, to be honest, if you have a little bit of training a clean tee shirt, a belt and a pocket knife of some sort will suffice for most field repairs. A first aid kit just makes the job look better. :lol3
  4. a57m2000

a57m2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    >The last time this topic came up a couple of EMT's posted up kits that had more stuff than the first responder trauma boxes we carried on >our fire trucks. They claimed to carry everything but an AED.

I would take an alternative approach and first define what can treat effectively without seeking outside help, in my mind:
    1. small abrasions/lacerations
    2. blisters
    3. headaches
    4. muscle aches/joint pains
    5. digestive problems
    6. allergies
    7. ? suggestions

Based on this outline everyone can complete a personal set that he feels comfortable to use / e.g one may want to have only bandaide and peroxidised water, somebody else also steri strips and or surgical stitch set?/
  5. a$$hole

a$$hole Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have my old USMC IFAK kit that has some sweet pouch of powdery stuff that will burn your arm/leg shut should you happen to cut it off somehow!:lol3 Its probably expired but I feel special having it!:D O and it contains all of the usual stuff plus some other crap I put in it.
  6. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    6 months ago, I had to replace my old first aid kit.

I found an american seller offering great US made kits at a damn good price.

So I bought this small one for the bike:

[​IMG]

The prices were so good that I also bought this bigger one for the car/home/cabin:

[​IMG]

They are made by First Aid Only from Vancouver WA.

The kits are well built, with a lot of items inside and are pretty cheap. I paid something like 40$ for both, shipping included (shipped in Canada)

EDIT: Paid 36$ shipped in Canada for both

I'm not related to this seller/manufacturer, I just wanted to share the deal.

The seller's store is here: http://stores.ebay.ca/Lets-Get-Ready
  7. IKIGAI

IKIGAI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where's the rubber/latex/nitrile gloves, guys?

I see lots of lists with all sorts of good stuff, but no gloves.
    Don't forget your 'first responder' rules -- always have a couple of pairs of gloves stuffed away in the kit.

They should be the first thing accessible when you open the kits.
  8. txwanderer

txwanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is small. Add a good pair of sissors and a pocket mask to the OP's list. The rest you can find or do without. The idea is keeping someone alive until help arrives. If you aren't versed with tounequets, try to stay away from that mindset, you may do more harm than good. They have a place, just be carefull.
  9. Statdawg

Statdawg Do U feel lucky ?

Oddometer:
    I don't carry any, if you can't make dressings out of t-shirts and splints out of twigs then stay out of the forest. For Overlanding get a few pain pills, hydration salts and diarrhea medication. You have to think about weight and only take the basic.

EMTs ought to get a red light and siren on their rides. :lol3 AED ! You have to be shitting me if they were that concerned about inmates health they ought to knock the beer and drugs out of our months and put most of us on a diet so we can make our bikes lighter. :lol3

Oh hey gloves for sure with inmates..........but you can still use a t-shirt... its a barrier. Pannier heat dries gloves up pretty fast so keep an eye on them and the road.

How about a flare gun ?
  10. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey SgtDuster, thanks for that post, good looking deal and nice kit.
  11. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:

No problem!

I wanted to pass this info long time ago but I kinda forgot about it until Mr_Snips reminded it to me with his post.
  12. japako

japako Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a nice kit... I would only add a few items. Where did you buy the combat quick clot gauze?
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I have a similar kit to the OP Mr Snips. I also threw in a few pairs of latex gloves, a bunch alcohol wipes, some q-tips, and a roll of white cotton hockey tape. My multitool has a small pair of sissors.
  14. GasGas300

GasGas300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Duct tape and zip ties
  15. aDave

aDave Lovin' Life!

Oddometer:
    I have added a set of curved forceps to deal with the ticks I encounter. I also add several basic OTC meds such as Ibuprofen, anti-histamines, anti-fungal cream, hydrocortisone cream, lip balm, along with anti-poopy/the runs medicine.

Dave
  16. kimel

kimel I hit what?

Oddometer:
    Good stuff with those kits. Nitrile gloves last longer than latex but they don't last forever. I am an EMT and I carry a fairly advanced kit in my cages (but no AED, no O2, no flashing lights) and have had to use it. I change all the gloves out twice a year just in case. They are not expensive.

The BEST splinter removal tool, bar none, is an 18 ga hypodermic needle. Works like a micro-scalpel to get down under the splinter and then you can get the darn thing out real easy. Easy to come by at any farm supply store in single units or by the box.

Another good thing, especially if you or a riding buddy is a diabetic is some of that glucose in a tube stuff they sell at most pharmacies. Works very well and little chance you will have eaten it when you got the munchies like candy or raisins.

No matter the kit, if you don't know what to do with all that stuff then you might as well have nothing but NSAIDs and band-aids.

At least get a good First Aid and CPR class. There are now a lot of Wilderness First Aid courses available (at least around here) which go into more of the improvisation stuff.

A good source for build-your-own kit materials, especially OTC meds in single dose packages is http://www.redflarekits.com/info-e.html That is a small/family business. Great folks to deal with. No relationship, just a satisfied customer.
  17. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Your first aid kit sounds a lot like mine. Yup, anywhere hot and remote, these are a lot more important than most other stuff in a first kit, not to mention a lot harder to substitute with what you'll have with you/find in the wild, yet it is shocking how often they are overlooked.

Nice sterile bandages, purpose-made slings, etc. are "nice to have" when car camping, or back in civilisation, but they're not really that important for bike travel IMO. If someone is hurt badly, stopping the bleeding is the important thing and can be achieved with a cut up tshirt, duct tape, etc. just as easily. Unless you're really off the beaten track, you should be able to get to help long before the infection sets in; carry less and use the antibiotics after the fact to prevent the infection from becoming serious once you're being treated by the pros.
  18. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    :evil Pretty funny. Since I am not trained in first aid other than basic stuff, I carry a pretty basic kit. Although since my wife who is an RN, has started riding with me, I may upgrade my kit.
  19. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    I also carry a first aid kit...mostly bandage/antisepsis kind of stuff, but enough other materials to manage most typical cuts and abrasions for several days should the need occur. I started with a small commercial kit, and added stuff to it.. more bandaids, extra gauze wrap, some moleskin, eye drops, small scissors and tweezers. I pack my first aid stuff along with a few other essentials such as small notebook and pencil, lighter, small multitool, mini flashlight, earplugs and some baby wipes in an Outdoor Research pouch that I got at a rally as a door prize once:
    [​IMG]

This pouch makes it easy to find items quickly, has several dividers and separate zippered compartments.

My biggest issue with the kit is remembering to go through it at the end of any ride where I use some of the contents, and at least once per year to refresh it.
  20. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

+1 -

pills, plasters and creams. All I pretty much carry.

I only carry what I can use. If I carried what I thought others could use I might as well stay at home :)