First and hopefully annual bomber run

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by husky390, Aug 9, 2019.

1. husky390

husky390 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was tired of going to Sturgis so this year I planned to go to Arizona and ride the Devils Highway since I never made time to ride it when I lived there. So, I decided to go there instead and invited a few friends to join me. Hopefully we can make this an annual event with a new destination each year.

Today we met at Cabelas at 6am and was blessed with no rain and a beautiful sunrise.

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

I’m on the V-Strom, Cameron’s on the K1600GTL.

We headed south on I25 to Walsenburg then west to CO 159. I made a navigational error and instead of heading west to Antonito, we ended up heading south to Taos. We discussed backtracking but neither of us had been to Taos so we continued on to Highway 38 where we did a loop around the ski country. Our new route didn’t disappoint in the scenery department.

Had lunch in Taos.

IMG_1343.jpg

We continued south to our hotel in Bernallilo where we were upgraded to suites. Damn nice room and can’t complain. Now to enjoy the pool, some adult beverages, and a steak dinner. Tomorrow we ride southwest to Morenci.
    EZMoney, Jedi5150, Snapper33 and 2 others like this.
  2. husky390

Oddometer:
    Left Santa Ana Resort this morning at 6:30, highly recommend staying there. Outstanding rooms, food and customer service. Anyways, it looked like it was cool but it was warm and humid.

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

Made it to Bosque where we had to don rain gear and wore it all the way to Reserve. There the sun came out and it was game on.

IMG_1352.jpg

Met up with another friend in Morenci and we had some awesome weather for half the trip to Alpine. The 191 was sketchy with loose gravel but still phenomenal. Lots of footpeg grinding going on.

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

After we got into the pine trees it looked like rain so we donned the rain gear again and rode through rain, hail, fog and lightning to Alpine.

Along the way we saw a car in the ditch, all air bags deployed and hazard lights on. No one was in it and Highway Hog showed up on the scene. Apparently the driver was drunk and ran.

We were supposed to camp tonight at Big Lake but we were all soaked and cold so we got a smoking deal for rooms at The Sportsman’s Lodge in Alpine. The owner is a rider and hooked us up with discounted rooms. So now we’re sitting on the porch enjoying some whiskey and beer.

IMG_1364.jpg
    oldwyomingdude and EZMoney like this.
  3. husky390

Oddometer:
    I’m warm, dry, have a huge mug of beer and about to defile myself with food. I’m happy.

IMG_1367.jpg
    EZMoney likes this.
  4. husky390

Oddometer:
    If someone had told me that I’d be comfortable in a fleece and rain gear from Alpine, AZ to Window Rock, I’d have called them crazy.

Woke up to more rain and hit the road and finally got out of the rain at I40. We were going to go to Durango via Gallup but Cameron suggested an alternate route through Window Rock and that ride did not disappoint. We ditched the rain gear there and were comfortable in mesh all the to outside of Durango. Unbelievable as we were expecting to be cooked through New Mexico.

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

Stopped for lunch at 3 Rivers Brewery. Cool old building.

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

Stopped for obligatory pictures at Molas Pass and when we made it into Silverton the skies dumped on us again.

IMG_1389.jpg
    oldwyomingdude, EZMoney and Jedi5150 like this.
  5. husky390

Oddometer:
    We made it into Silverton last night in the middle of a crazy thunderstorm. Set up camp just as it quit raining and got dark so it was beer, Mountain House, Salami, cheese, and crackers for dinner. Just as we turned in, it rained again.

Woke up this morning to dense fog.

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

But luckily it cleared up and we were able to ride in the sun. The roads were still wet and some areas had gravel due to last nights rain so we took it easy.

This view never gets old.

IMG_1396.jpg

Some pics of the waterfall.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

1,614 miles over four days.

IMG_1400.jpg

Need to clean the bike and I’m going to need tires soon

IMG_1401.jpg
  6. husky390

Oddometer:
    All in all, it was an awesome trip with beautiful scenery and great riding, even in the rain. We’re already looking forward to going on another run next year.

I highly recommend staying at these places if you’re in the area.

Santa Ana Resort, Bernallilo, NM

Sportsman’s Lodge, Alpine, AZ

Silverton Lakes RV Resort, Silverton, CO. Make reservations if you want a cabin.
    oldwyomingdude and EZMoney like this.