First Annual Dsrider ride Fresno To SLO & Pozo Feb. 9-1oth weekend

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dsrider, Feb 6, 2008.

1. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All welcome. We will be riding from Fresno to San luis Obispo Ca. after we have breakfast together at meeting place below. Several will be riding BMWs & K.. & even a FZ1 He may smoke us on the ride over yet the dirt will be another story. some riders will be trailing DRZ400s & XR650R (plated) & meeting us in SLO around lunch time along with some rides from other areas. We have a local experienced rider to show us around Pozo and other local coast riding areas. We have a place to stay in SLO FREE floor space (Carpeted) for several people first come first serve. Let us know. There are some really nice places to stay in the local area also for $$ also. On Sunday Morning LMS has hooked us up to go Surf Kayaking for Free with 4 or 5 Kayaks. And then off to some more great riding.
    Any ideas of back roads to SLO welcome. We would like to stay off 41 Pic of first official DSRider ride last Feb 07

[​IMG]
  2. shazamdrz

shazamdrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't *%@%! believe that I have to work this weekend. I have employees working on a major thing-a-ma-bob.i can do a short ride on Sunday if anyone else is as skrewed as I am. Riding on the coastis going to be a blast. I have always wanted to ride that area. I have an oportunity to got to Tahoe and stay and snowboard for three days for free and I HAVE TO F*@! work! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!:kboom
  3. optopilot

optopilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have 2nd home on wheels in Pismo. If needed, I can have it set up; but need to know immediately;as in Thursday. I will have to reserve my spot and set up tow for Friday. My guys don't tow on Saturday.Let me know ASAP. Steve. P.S. I will have to trailer DRZ or can haul in back of my pickup.Rob,do we want to have food already at the shop?
  4. xcountry rider

xcountry rider What happened?

Oddometer:
    Where you guys meeting in SLO around lunchtime?

Not a bunch of great routes from Fresno to SLO with out adding some significant time. Suggetion if you don't mind adding 1.5 to 2 hours to ride time.180 to 145 to 33 into coalinga 198 w left on peach tree road turns into indian valley road turn left on river road turns into n river road, turn left on creston road, turn right on 41 then turn left on 229:evil turn right on 58 turn right at stop sign to stay on 58 cross train tracks turn left go through town of Santa Margarita get on 101 south hop over grade to SLO (alternate short dirt road down south side of grade, turn right at top of grade past break check area for trucks turn left and head down old stage coach road, get back on freeway at bottom)

An alternate to the river rd to Creston rd would to just get on the 101s in San Miguel take 41 east to 229, river rd not that cool unless you must avoid freeways at all cost. the 101 "bypass" would save some time

There are also some other great routes from San Miguel to SLO but would just add more time. Depends on how much of a hurry you are in to get to SLO, let me know if you want some other route suggetions

Fastest most direct route is 41 to 46 to 101. If you do end up taking 41 for time you will turn right on 46 near cholame (James Dean memorial) after on the 46 you might as well turn left on to the 41 right past rest stop near Shandon. Follow the signs to 41, this is a great section of 41 and then you can still hit 229 and this little detour doesn't add much time unless you turn back and ride 229 over and over like the first time I discovered it.
  5. LittleMissSunshine

LittleMissSunshine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend says this weekend is bad for kayaking. The surf report calls for high winds and swells of 14-22' !!! This is extremely dangerous. Looks like it's not in the cards for us this time.

The good news is Saturday should be clear with a high of 70º :D
  6. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post6262699 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal">Yesterday, 10:05 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" align=right>#5 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>xcountry rider<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6262699", true); </SCRIPT>
    Happy to be here!

Oddometer: 12

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6262699><!-- icon and title -->SLO meeting
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Where you guys meeting in SLO around lunchtime?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Hi xcountry, Thanks for the very detailed directions. When you say Central coast where exactly. PM me if you want. We will be in the general area of Los Osos Valley road & Madonna Rd in SLO. The place is near there. After are short tarmac run from Fresno to SLO we will be ready to put the side stand down for lunch. As for time lets say "approx lunch time" send me your cell if you want. We also will have an Xchallange in the group.

<TABLE class=tborder id=post6262644 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal">Yesterday, 09:54 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" align=right>#4 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>optopilot<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6262644", true); </SCRIPT>
    n00b

Oddometer: 6

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6262644><!-- icon and title -->:D optopilot has 5th wheel at Pismo
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Have 2nd home on wheels in Pismo. If needed, I can have it set up; but need to know immediately;as in Thursday. I will have to reserve my spot and set up tow for Friday. My guys don't tow on Saturday.Let me know ASAP. Steve. P.S. I will have to trailer DRZ or can haul in back of my pickup.Rob,do we want to have food already at the shop?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Optipilot YES on Breakfast Send me Phone number or call. As for accommodations we have arrangements similar to a hostile at the ride leaders place you are welcome to stay its FREE. PM. about the 2nd home details. Sounds like a lot of fun having a place in Pismo. The host says there is plenty of floor space

[​IMG]
  7. LittleMissSunshine

Oddometer:
    "For those of you that don't mind dirt roads consider taking this route from Pozo to Pismo."

don't mind dirt roads... LOL

the route is the same one suggested earlier: Hi Mountain Road (with lookout)
  8. xcountry rider

Oddometer:
    Arroyo Grande is the place dsrider. Not sure if any riding is in the cards for saturday, probably sunday. Are you guys gonna hit pozo sunday?

The Hi Mountain Rd suggested by LittleMissSunshine is a good route for big bikes (and FZ1), fun too. I have some friends that have ridden it on their road bikes, and I mean bicycles:confused Should be dry enough by now. They close it when it gets too wet. In fact they close pozo when it gets too wet as well. It was closed last weekend, we headed down to ballinger canyon instead. I think it should all be open by now. It drys out fairly quickly other than the few stuborn puddles.
  9. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info-
    If you can, update me tomorrow pm so I can decide if it's gonna be a Fizzer or Berger kinda weekend.

Thanks Bro'
    Tom
  10. xcountry rider

Oddometer:

No problem, I will call the powers at be tomorrow.
  11. optopilot

optopilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Optopilot will have nutrients and sustenance available prior to leaving; at the usual place with all the usual suspects. I am hauling DRZ and possibly a berger depending on the route taken. Trailer towing may be an option if someone else is going to mount steed over there and needs to have a bike trailered.PM me with contact #. I can hardly wait.:clap
  12. SLO-KLR

SLO-KLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Highway 229 from highway 41 to highway 58 is a little slice of asphalt heaven not to be missed. If you are considering taking Hi Mountian road from Pozo to Pizmo check with the Los Padres ranger station to see if the road is open. There are several sections that stay muddy long after the rain has quit so the road may be closed. It is a great ride if the road is open.:thumb
  13. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    Ditto on all of the OHV bits. I go by the Pozo OHV sign on 58 every day and last I recall the OHV roads etc are still closed, God forbid you damage our mud ya know.. Word of caution as well on sandy/muddy back roads from the snow and rain from the last round of storms. This area is my backyard and ridden daily, the roads are pretty bad in spots.
  14. Madera4x4

Madera4x4 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dang I finally get a weekend to ride with you guys and I can't make it on a long distance trip like this. I just got back from 5 days in the dunes in Pismo and have to get ready for 4 days in Dove Spring for Presidents day weekend.
    If anybody goes for a short rides on weekends that aren't posted let me know madera4x4@yahoo.com
    Hope to catch up with you guy one of these weekends

Anthony

Btw on Thumper talk I belive someone posted that Pozo was going to be open yesterday or today.Check the Calif section towards the bottom.
  15. LittleMissSunshine

Oddometer:
    Here's a link.

I also noticed a shemoto over there. :sweeti
  16. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post6272007 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal">Today, 08:28 AM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" align=right>#14 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>Madera4x4<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6272007", true); </SCRIPT>
    n00b

Oddometer: 1

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6272007><!-- icon and title -->Oh so close.....
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Dang I finally get a weekend to ride with you guys and I can't make it on a long distance trip like this. I just got back from 5 days in the dunes in Pismo and have to get ready for 4 days in Dove Spring for Presidents day weekend.
    If anybody goes for a short rides on weekends that aren't posted let me know madera4x4@yahoo.com
    Hope to catch up with you guy one of these weekends

Anthony

Btw on Thumper talk I belive someone posted that Pozo was going to be open yesterday or today.Check the Calif section towards the bottom.
    <!-- / message -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>WE do several last minute rides & if we remember & it is easy to do we may post it. Look forward to riding with you. Here is a link to our last "last minuite" ride we did. http://picasaweb.google.com/dsriders/MajorSnowRun/photo?authkey=q47-DlnBknM#s5163342612315224498 last weekend & a link to the one before that ride
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dsriders/Dsride12608WinterRideUnofficialStillVeryFun/photo?authkey=lMFBCXMfMFU#s5160295238529431314 Thanks for the Pozo update. AND the link LMS
  17. xcountry rider

Oddometer:
    I just checked with the forestry service and the County of SLO. Pozo riding area is open. Hi Mountain Road is open, the county worker told me that it is in poor conditions especially at the water crossings, some could be deep.
  18. capt42104

capt42104 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEHf6F-K8X4
    some people are bringing the big pigs gs1200s meeting us in SLO & it looks like we will have are first Xcountry & xr650r plated Then another wave of riders coming in on Sunday.
  20. LittleMissSunshine

Oddometer:
    Holy hell its all rutted out! I don't think my f650's gonna like that. Maybe I'll just take a spa day in SLO while the boys go out and play. :eek1