1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

First Bike 2019 AT AS-DCT vs 2021 T700

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Chyves, Aug 21, 2020.

1. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not sure where they are getting those deals either. First though, it's awesome if they are! :-)
    I called around for a month, across the country (figuring it would be an epic road trip), all the less than $10K bikes I called on, was a very different price when talking to the dealership.

So with the 2020 AT at $17K+, if I could get the used AT for the same price as the T7, it might sway my decision, only because of resale value. As to riding, I'd prefer the T7.
    As a disclaimer, I love my '18 ATAS. For me it is the best ADV bike available at any price.
  2. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The CRF250 is FAR from perfect off road :jack

It's a bike that doesn't do anything really well, but does many things decently, it's cheap, pretty solidly bullet proof with huge maintenance intervals.

I think riding around town would be fine, but it's not a good highway bike at all. You seem pretty set on one of the two big bikes you originally mentioned. I wish you luck with either, either will be a blast to ride.

Be sure and keep us posted with what you get, and post pics when you can.
  3. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    Did you go with the DCT?
  4. katit

katit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not an OP, so my 2nd choice is different. I am looking in between F800GS and AT.
    I didn't mean to say that CRF250L is a best off-road bike, I was saying that if I didn't have to do highways - I would buy it and don't worry about anything else.
    It checks all my boxes other than not being safe on highway and there going to be a lot of those..
  5. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went with manual.
    From all I've watched and read, the DCT is excellent in the hands of the right rider.
  6. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The F800GS and AT, in my thought is a much tougher choice. They are very similar in competencies on and off road.
    I think this would be a choice I'd make from the heart, more than the head. Because they are both great, they both have quirks, and they both have an aftermarket that will leave you broke... lol
    Good luck with this one. When you decide, and get your bike, it would be cool to hear and see what you get, why you got it, and if it meets your expectations. :beer
  7. katit

katit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It will be first bike so I am sure it will be subjective. From what I read about both - yes, there is quirks on both sides. I don't mind wrenching, not afraid of used bikes (do all maintenance, repairs, etc on my cars)

I will have school in September, so by end of September I will be ready to shop. End of season, chance to get a good deal. I will try to test drive both, but if not I can at least seat on both. At the end, it will be a search for a deal and when I see good one - I will do it. Just like you said there is a lot to like about each one.
  8. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does either bike pull at your heart strings?

Good time to buy. Sounds like a good plan. Every now-and-then a smoking deal happens, and if you can snake in before anyone else, that can be a huge positive. They say the price is forgotten after a while. I think that is partially true. But when you beat everyone else to a smoking good deal, that's like having a trophy you can ride. Hard to forget that.
    Sometimes it is luck. More often than not it is hard work and consistency, that finds you the smoking good deal.

Happy hunting!
  9. katit

katit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell. Been driving(and working on) BMW cars all my life so yeah, I kind of like BMW bike. OTOH, I had Hondas too(we still have minivan) and I like them for simplicity and just getting it done. I understand it might be different for motorcycles.. Not afraid of fixing things, so perceived Honda reliability vs "expensive to maintain BMW" aspect doesn't bother me at all. Visually I like AT better. From reading about them - sounds like BMW will suit me better. So, hard to tell :) Need to see them in person..
    Friend I trust (former racer, been selling bikes for 20 years) told me to go AT if I can afford and F800/850 as a very good alternative. In his mind those are best all around motorcycles.

Thanks!

Getting a good deal is also "piece of mind" as I can test it for as much as I want and sell it without a loss if not liked.. I don't even mind getting one that need to be fixed as long as it's a great deal and mileage/year/etc all looks good.

I still have a question on how to get it picked up.. I will shop 300 mile radius, so not sure what is the best way to bring it back home. Renting UHaul trailer? Or, perhaps use one of those hitch carriers? Does anybody have experience with carrying motorcycle on one of those 600LB hitch carriers?
  10. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've used the rail type, and the type with the jack and plate under the skid plate that fastens the bike to the foot pegs. Not a fan of either for a heavy bike. They both wobble... a lot with that much weight.
    I'm a fan of the trailer, with a good set of tie-downs, and an aluminum motorcyle ramp that is 8' to 9' long. So easy to do that way.
    Any chance you've got a buddy with a trailer (or a buddy who can borrow a trailer), who can go with you when it's time to pick it up? Would be a fun road trip.
  11. katit

katit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't have a buddy with trailer, but I can rent one no problem when needed (Uhaul has them I think). I was hoping hitch carrier will work also I suspected it will wobble..
    Carrier sounds good to own because lot of times we travel with family to different lake houses/vacation and taking bike with me also sounds like a great idea.

Does hitch carrier wobble because of single mount point? Curious if I can fab something up to make it more sturdy..
  12. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, lots of places have trailers to rent, including some Home Depot locations.

You certainly can modify the hitch mount units. There was a company making the the jack style unit, with outriggers which grabbed out towards the end of the hitch. Not sure if they are still available.
    Others I've seen have a bolt which tightens against the hitch stinger. With the weight moment of the bike, I think it would be better to have something further out towards the end of the hitch.
    Nothing a bit of steel and a welder can't resolve.
    Figure 600lbs with the hitch unit, so check your hitch. That would be right at the limit of a class III hitch. You may also want airbags to keep the rear from sagging down, and shining your headlights into the clouds.
  13. katit

katit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have class 3 I beleive and my truck (LX470) has AHC suspension which will keep it level.

Hmm. Maybe I should start looking at those hitch mounted carriers and see what kind of modifications I need to make, have a welder so can do something to make it ridgid. Mybe additional support on right/left
    sheath likes this.
  14. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    I had a cheap one years ago, and it did fine, mainly due to the fact that my bike was only about 200 lbs. Fairly wobbly though, which wasn't a big deal given I was using a hatchback with a back window that sloped away from the bike (mainly the handle bars).

It would have been a bigger concern had I been using a SUV where the back glass might have come in contact with the handle bar. That said, even the new and more sturdy ones appear to max out around 500 lbs carrying capacity, which is probably the max of your hitch. And remember, the max weight of your hitch include bike + weight of the carrier.