First Fly and Ride trip... well first trip ever, Nashville to Philly route advice

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Gerard Aiken, May 21, 2020.

1. Gerard Aiken

Gerard Aiken n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon all.

I found a replacement ride in Nashville and have made a deal. Now.. how to get it home to the NJ side of the river near Philly? Truck and Trailer or Fly and Ride. Let's do a solo Fly and Ride! But how and where.

So I will look at some of the prepping and planning threads for advice, but now I would like to hear some suggestions on routes. I know the area a little and know the roads to be just glorious. I was thinking traversing to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, but they are closed still as of today, so maybe a more western route up through WV or more easterly trek through Charlottesville and on to the Chesapeake? I would like to avoid I-81 completely. Let me hear some favorite roads in area and maybe even some points of interest.

Example of my thinking ... I may just head dead east to Lexington NC for BBQ (http://www.lexbbq.com/) then 29N through to DC and beyond.
  2. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First trip ever--how much total time and how many miles a day are you planning? Motels/camping? What have you found out in your search so far? When are you actually traveling?
  3. Gerard Aiken

Gerard Aiken n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    First real trip. Ok.. here are some more details. Early June, need to go about 200 miles east from Nashville to about Johnson City. Next day I am thinking 300+ either N into WV or ENE to west of Richmond. Then 300+ to Philly either from E WV or from Richmond home.
  4. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    I rode round trip from NJ to Dallas at Thanksgiving going through Nashville. I was on a tight timeframe so I stuck to highways. I actually liked I81 as it does not feel like a highway and the scenery is good. I regret not being able to stop in Nashville as it looks cool. Get a map and just see what interests you off the highway unless you have unlimited time for your trip. Just make sure to enjoy yourself.
  5. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    40 to 81 to Damascus :)
    70 to 11w to 58 isnt bad either just slower.
    Then you can back road up thru VA into PA west of Philly. Avoid the 95 corridor at all costs
  6. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I think the BRP (VA)/SLD both opened here in Saturday with limits. All may change by June. They are supposed to do some paving on North end of BRP--RT 60 and north but only told by road crew worker. No gas on BRP in VA 45 limit. SLD 35 limit.
    Regarding VA:
    If you do use 29 it is (imo) not bad until Charlottesville. Divided 4 lane with 55-70 limits and I go 5 over all the time and the county boys never bother me. I would suggest getting on 40E at Gretna to 501 N at Brookneal. Then back on 29N at Lynchburg. 60 at Amherst will take you up to BRP. Otherwise, I would take SR 151 just N of Amherst. This rd is often not on maps but is a state hwy and runs about 30 miles to 250 at the bottom of Afton Mtn. and is a nice road. Goes over one hill with some switchbacks. If you want to do a little of BRP you could use 56W or just off Brent Mtn a CR up to Wintergreen (big beer place and ski barn at corner) both cross 151.

If you use 151 it ends on 250--W up hill to BRP/SLD or E to Cville either 250 or I 64 will get you back to 29. If looking for further east than Cville use I64. If not going east, a mile or so short of 250 is old rt 6W that goes up the hill the back way through downtown Afton (a PO) to 250 about 2/3 of the way. Take it.

If you go over 250W and don't do SLD 340 N (first light Waynesboro) will take you all the way to MD. I use it a lot as far as Front Royal. If you use SLD and want to just do a part of it then it is 33 or 211 and I think 211 a better ride. You and pick up 522N to Front Royal off it or keep going East. Personally, riding north of Front Royal and much east of 522 ain't great anymore in VA. 33 and 211 both cross 340.

If doing the ridge fog is a problem that will drive you off. I went over Afton Mtn last week at 1400 and the fog was pea soup and it wasn't raining. Happens a lot but usually rains, too. Except for Brent mtn, and some of 211 the roads I mentioned shouldn't be a problem with weather other than what it is in the rain.

I think WV is really better riding but slower time wise. I go over there a lot and I don't think that there is any comparison, really. I rode 400 miles one day a week ago and 2/3 of it was over there. Some ideas, have fun--that's what counts.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Johnson City has some great riding nearby, one of the reasons the BMWMOA had their national rally there one year is the riding. Because people live on mtn roads they remain open and so lots of choices aside from BRP. Check out this tourism website and the day trips all just east of JC,TN and centered on Marion, VA- www.visitvirginiamountains. com. I have done them all more than once and they get you into 5 states with rides of ~ 200+ miles per day. Marion to Tazewell, VA is a great ride as are they all.
    You'll find printable maps under trails header and can try to incorporate one or more of those routes into your trip. VA16 continues into WV and would be my choice to ride once I pulled myself away from the E TN, S VA and W NC roads.
    Early morning fog makes mtn scenic views come on slowly in a.m. hours. When you get lucky it's gloriously beautiful and worth the odds of those special days.
  8. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blue Ridge Parkway open, doing half assed paving in VA (chip and seal).
    Checkout Seneca Scenic Parkway. I second the suggestion of highway 58 thru Virginia.
  9. Mega_R

Mega_R n00b

Oddometer:
    If Your leaving out of Nashville, I’d hit highway 70 to south of Knoxville, hop on 129 and hit deal’s gap (tail of the dragon) or the Cherohala Skyway. Make your way to Asheville and take the Blue Ridge up to VA. Not too familiar with the roads up in VA, so you may need someone to fill you in on something there.