First Glitch with the 1290, Suspension Error

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by Saltboxlad, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last week while in Ireland out of the blue got this:

[​IMG]

It did appear after a fairly long high speed dash on some pretty bumpy B roads. Anyway, turned bike off and on again and it was gone.

Just been out on the local roads and got it again, re-cycled ignition and gone, but this time it came back after a few more miles so this time I inspected the front forks and rear shock for any leaks, none, and then I unplugged all the shock electrical plugs and re-attached. Drove home about 15 miles and it didnt come back. Ill keep an eye for now, Im hoping its just a dodgy connection, the bike did get a fair amount of rain last week, maybe it got into the plugs?
  2. CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives the sound of inevitability

Oddometer:
    One day, perhaps KTM will properly update these systems with a stable software package, but we are in year 3........
  3. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When a bike's been fine for thousands of miles and then suddenly has a problem, I doubt it's a software problem. A bad electrical connection sounds like a good bet. Might be worth checking/cleaning up the battery connections too. Electronics can be sensitive to poor grounding I think.
    EkrebDK likes this.
  4. Saltboxlad

Oddometer:
    What I'm thinking too mate, thanks. I rode through some pretty dire conditions last week.
  5. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty Supporter

Oddometer:
    I usually add a bit of dielectric grease any time I disconnect/reconnect an electrical connection on the bike. Helps keep water out and makes removal next time easier... a bit of lube never hurts. :)
  6. Saltboxlad

Oddometer:

Yep, just done all 3 using a bit of corrosion block grease which says its Dielectric
  7. RTwo

RTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tend to use Servisol silicone (dielectric) grease in both spray and solid.
    The spray is great for getting right into things like switches etc.

Fairly cheap from CPC Farnell in the UK
  8. bigmadstu

bigmadstu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Connector to the rear shock was the problem area on my bike. Since I cleaned the contacts and liberally applied dielectric grease I've had no more faults.
  9. Saltboxlad

Oddometer:
    Ive had a word with my Dealer, he agrees more than likely just an iffy connection but If i take the bike over they will log on and check for any stored error codes
    Barekat and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  10. Wynnded

Wynnded Wait....what?

Oddometer:
    On a side note, I've never liked the abrupt bend that the wires need to make at this connector to prevent them from rubbing on the rear fender. /rant
  11. Saltboxlad

Oddometer:
    So , took bike in this morning and they put it on computer, stored code was to do with inconsistant 5v feed to shock, so they also think water ingress into plug. Codes cleared so hopefully with the cleaned and greased plug that should be it, ridden 50 odd miles since and no reoccurrence. Also raised warranty for 2 front LED indicators. :thumb