First impressions of Sargent's 12GS saddle

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mistercindy, Apr 26, 2006.

1. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    I installed my Sargent last Saturday and have since put about 200 miles on it. On May 10-12 I'm going to Galveston where I'll put in a couple of 300 to 400 mile days and have a much better long distance impression of the Sargent. However, fellow inmate BUCKBEAK responded to my delay in reviewing the Sargent with this post:
    Some of BUCKBEAK's queries can be answered now:

- Weight: I weigh 240 lbs - Relative to weight I should say that the Sargent is certainly firmer than stock, which is a good thing. For me, it was immediately more comfortable and supporting. So far, its stayed that way.

- Inseam: 30" (I'm 6'0" tall): With the standard stock seat on low setting I stand comfortably flat footed with very little bend in the knee. With the standard Sargent on low setting I stand exactly the same way. That is quite a relief as I didn't want the bike to be suddenly too tall. I know the Sargent is a bit wider, but I sense absolutely no standing difference at all.

- Seating height: Barely noticeable, but I believe that I'm sitting ever so slightly lower (maybe by 1/2"). Since the Sargent is wider than the stocker that makes a bit of sense as I stand flat-footed the same way with both the Sargent and the stocker.

- Relative Ass-Bonyness: 240 lbs suggests a fat ass, which I sadly possess. But my lower pelvic "ass bones" hurt like the dickens with the stocker after about 45 minutes. While I haven't ridden more than an hour at one time yet on the Sargent, I can tell you that those sore points are much relieved. I'm aware of the points under those bones with the Sargent, but they don't bother me at all after an hour, and that's a great improvement over the stocker. After my Galveston ride in May I'll know a lot more about the long distance comfort. Given my experience now, however, I think it'll be a helluva lot more comfy.

- Predominant riding style: Slab. Dallas/Ft. Worth highway commuting, two lane and interstate highway trips, paved in-town roads, paved twisties when I can find them, etc... So far, the Sargent is excellent. But, I'm not an off-road guy so I can't speak to the Sargent's off-road qualities.

- Also, I got black piping, and I got it in the CarbonFX material. I think it looks better than the Griptex, reviews said the Griptex held a lot more water after a rain, and that if the Griptex is cooler, it ain't by much. So, I went with what I thought looked better that needed less maintenance.

Hope these preliminary points are helpful. Long distance review to come...
  2. Bounce

Bounce Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very useful info. I put standard Wilbers shocks on my 12gs and they raised the seat height enough that I've been a little worried about what the Sargent might add. I keep the stock saddle high in front and low in the rear to keep from sliding forward. It doesn't sound like that may be necessary on the Sargent, but let us know about that after your ride to Galveston. How long did it take to ship after you placed your order?
  3. mistercindy

Oddometer:
    I'll certainly post a long distance review after Galveston.

As to shipping time, I ordered mine on Saturday 4/15. I got a confirmation email which said it'd be no more than three weeks on Monday 4/17. And it was on my patio at 3:00 in the afternoon on Friday 4/21. Six days! I got it on-line at RL Motorcycles, or cyclesaddle.com. Here's their link:

http://cyclesaddles.com/home/
  4. Bounce

Bounce Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, Mr. C. May save me a few sheckles with that route, but I'll prolly give them back when I discard the standard tri-color logo with my order for a little cleaner look. Pretty sweet turn-around time! Did you order the pillion seat too? I rarely carry a passenger and on overnight journeys I leave it and the rear grab rails off to make room for a large tailbag. The stock pillion seat with the Sargent in front could look a little trashy so I'll prolly just get the whole kit in case I find the love of my life who likes to 2-up. I'm a little tempted by the low seat version due to the Wilbers' slight height increase, but I can't find any info on the construction/comfort difference between the standard and low versions. My apprehension may go away when I can put both ends of the seat in the low setting, but with the stock in the front high position, I can't flat foot anymore...a minor but not critical annoyance.
  5. Zeke_Jones

Zeke_Jones Big Friggin Bumble Bee

Oddometer:
    FWIW, the love of my life who likes to 2-up likes the stock 12GS pillion seat MUCH better than the Sargent, so I sent the Sargent back (excellent customer service at Sargent, BTW) and got the 12GS pillion Sport Skinz (~$40 shipped) to re-cover the stock pillion seat instead. I don't have it installed yet, but it should be an easy and economical solution. Just stretching it over the seat without stapling it on, it looks great.

As for the rider seat, I've had mine for about 3 weeks and a few hundred miles and my $0.02 is that it is a nice, but not overwhelming, improvement over the stocker. I'm 6'4", 215lbs, with 35" inseam and modest arse padding. Similar to my last Sargent (on a SV650), the firmness subsides with time -- I'm not sure whether its the seat or my arse that is getting broken in -- but the difference is noticeable. On the high setting, it seems to ride a bit lower (less leg room) than stock. It doesn't seem to need to have the front set on high, with the rear on low, to avoid sliding forward into the tank.
  6. mistercindy

Oddometer:
    I didn't get the pillon. Several years ago I didn't get it for my R1150R either and I never missed it. While you're right that the two types of saddle (Sargent & stock pillon) probably look a bit on the trashy side, I'm a bit guilty of not caring much about it. I figure its a GS, for cryin' out loud and if its fugly, then so be it! Seriously, though, the difference in materials just doesn't bother me.

Also, my wife has never been interested in riding so going 2-up isn't an issue. More importantly, I figured it'd sure be a waste ordering the pillon only to discover I didn't like the front seat. I can always order the matching pillon if my wife changes her mind or some future mistress needs a ride.:wink:

Finally, like you, when I travel I remove the pillon to better strap down my big old' Filson duffel bag.

I believe the Sargent web site has the specs for the different heights of the standard and low versions. I don't blame you for being concerned about the Wilbers and the impact on the bike. Now, after 6,000 miles, I've got my 12GS dialed in where I like it. Next season my stock shocks will have 30,000 miles (I bought the bike used with 12,000 miles already on it) on them and they'll need replacing. I'll get either Wilbers or Ohlins and I don't want the height of the ride changed. I'm pretty sure that'll be the subject of a future thread.