1. eNewsletter Sign Up

First Impressions

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MountainMan, Nov 12, 2002.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    Got the new V-Strom down to B-more in one piece. Unloaded it from the truck, and decided to take a short spin around town. Smooth and compliant on the wickedly potholed tarmac that comprises the surface streets in Gwynn Oaks, MD. A short jaunt, a gas stop and back to my buddy’s house for some homemade lasagna. Good food and company prevailed for the moment. An hour later I took another quick lap around the block, make that a 30 mile plus lap..

Sunday morning woke to cloudy skies rushing northward across the city. I was eager to leave the violent cesspool of Baltimore. Where my friends live is pretty nice, but it's an oasis of calm in a dirty city. I've seen more dead pets on the roads than I've ever seen. Cagers drive by oblivious to the world beyond their seemingly integrated cellphones. I slipped out of town, and made a beeline to find some country roads. I left at 10:00 am, plenty of time to make the 40 miles to Harper’s Ferry.

Rolling southwest, I try and remember the old roads I used to know in this area. It's all changed. The sick twisted sprawl has crept out of its traditional suburban boundaries. Old farm roads and byways are now sprouting with $600k homes. B R Horton, and Toll Brothers mushrooming on once tilled soil. I ride on trying to escape to the past, the quiet rolling roads I used to run down between horse events in Olney. The slick shortcut that ran between there and Germantown. They are no more.

With the increased population density the speed limits have been drastically cut. No more double nickel backroads, only 30 and 40 mph limits and an increased trooper presence. The rain fell at times, as I circled and backtracked across once familiar backroads. Finally upon reaching Fredrick twice, I gave up and hopped on the interstate. 20 minutes later I was crossing the Potomac into Harper’s Ferry. Luckily the crowd was late too..

A bit of BS'ing and we went in search of a chilidog and a beer. Due to prior events, this was determined to be the best course of action. PhilSpace and SO led off to Leesburg. Downtown is a HD watering hole. Parked the bikes, watched the throng of HD riders ride their chromed wallet extensions off into the distance. Thankfully they did so quickly, loud pipes piss me off and theirs were extremely loud.

A quick lunch (thanks Phil!) and Freak, Steve and I headed south. Large thunderstorms gathered to our left. So we decided to head west towards the clearer skies. Skirting around the western ridge sides, we ran south down roads I’d never been on. Steve kept stopping and saying how great the V-strom sounded.

Leafs were in full swing by now. Reds, yellows, and oranges spin by like bursts of fireworks under the gathering gray. They were losing the battle with the prevailing 40 mph winds from the south. Mini whirlwinds of color swirled with our passing. Damn fine weather for riding.

I was a tired dog when I finally made it to Twistedmind’s house. Parked the bike in his garage and grabbed a cold one from the fridge. Helped a friend carry an old hot-water radiator (for heating) upstairs Sunday morning, could feel every tweaked muscle in my lower back aching.

Overall it’s a sweet bike. Great ergo’s, decent fairing (lots of turbulence off the shield), very comfortable. Managed to scrub the tires to the edge on Thorton Gap (Pep’s road of choice..). The engine is incredible. Even though it’s not broken in yet (and through great restraint.. :evil) it pulls extremely hard. ½ throttle and it’s off and running, front wheel lifts slightly at even the suggestion. Can’t wait to get it fully run in. Shouldn’t take too long..

-MM
  2. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    ya need a photo, dood :thumb

here ya go

[​IMG]
  3. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Thanks we all look better without heads...

Rogue, MM, KRSJACKASS

-MM
  4. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    error, error :bash

on the right is philspace
  5. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    Yep, your right.. I just took a quick glance..

-MM
  6. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    That is the only time I'll be able to stay ahead of you on that thing with the KRS. On my roads and you on a new bike. Next time we ride I'll be pulling up the rear.

I only said it one time! :rolleyes

Hey the difference between Phil and I is that I have hair (sorry Phil and he does not have my girlish figure) :rofl :evil Get it right will ya!
  7. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    That was a sweet road.
    But the ones in WV are better...
    -MM
  8. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Wrong, that's Beck on the right:rofl
  9. Steverino

Oddometer:
    There are better roads in WVA. But then they are not so close to my house.
  10. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    grassy ass amigo

-MM
  11. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    Thats not always a bad thing.. :evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil

-MM
  12. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    its really not asking to much to have a twin cylinder bike with that much displacement be able to loft the front wheel in a timely manner, as in whenever you want to. I want one of them damn things.

nice little bit of writing by the way.
  13. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    MM - Nicely-written report, mang. Good job.
    And have fun with the V-Strom. Very cool bike ... if I didn't have such a BMW jones I might have picked one of those up myself ...
  14. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Dudes ya'll need to work on your Gender identity issues!
  15. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    MM,

Thanks for the update! Congrats on the new ride!:thumb
  16. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    thanks..
    -MM
  17. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    I let Twistedmind borrow the bike for the day. I couldn't ride in this morning.. So I get this back from him:

(from TwistedMind)

There is definitely something wrong with your bike.
    It lugs under 3K. It's very unbalanced in the corners.
    The riding position inspires overconfidence of which
    the bike is not worthy. And I am absolutely POSITIVE that
    the speedometer does not register correctly.

You better let me keep it for another couple of weeks and
    see if I can work these bugs out for you. I wouldn't want
    you to get hurt or anything. I need to spend some more
    research time on the bike. 30 miles is not enough to get
    the whole picture.

-MM
  18. ROGUE

ROGUE Long timer

Oddometer:
    So..... you let him ride it before me???? Not fair not fair, I asked first! :rofl
  19. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    Did you see this from Dirk Edge?
    originally posted at http://www.motorcycledaily.com/06june02suzuki2002vstrom.html
  20. JetBoy

JetBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try some EMGO mirrors to cut the turbulance. Part # 2025171 right and 2025172 left. Big difference. I did 20,000 miles on my Strom before I got around to putting them on, I am kicking myself.