1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

First mirrorless Camera what lenses?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Aleksandar_the_Great, May 31, 2020.

1. Aleksandar_the_Great

Aleksandar_the_Great Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    Next week I'm planing on getting my first Mirrorless Camera canon m100.
    I've mainly been shooting with a phone and I am not happy anymore with the quality it offers hence the upgrade.
    There are two bundles available at the moment and this is where I need some advice.
    The first bundle comes with stock lense 15/45 and with 22 mm and the second bundle comes with 15/45 and 55/200.
    For motorcycle photos and landscape which bundle will be best and why?
    Look forward to getting some advice from people who have used lenses for shooting bikes and landscape and have more experience then me.
    Aleks
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. miller806

miller806 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First I must say I don't own a mirrorless camera, but have used SLR and DSLR cameras for over 40 years. I would save some money and get the camera with just the stock lens only. Then go out and take lots of pictures to learn its capacities before you get any other lens. I have a large camera bag full of lenses that mostly stays home or in the motorhome. When I am on the bike I general only carry the camera with a 18-105 mm lens. I learned long ago to keep things simple and never carry more that you need. As for the long lens, there is just no way to hold them steady on a mirrorless body without a tripod or other support. just my opinion, your mileage my vary.
  3. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I agree with your point and would have gotten the camera with just one lens only... But as usually shops are offering a second lense for £50 extra and this is an offer hard to refuse... Even if I would use the stock lense for the start till o get used to the camera, I would still have a spare lense to use in different situations.
    The 22mm gets great reviews for this camera and it packs extremely small, that's one of the biggest advantages, plus with the crop of 1.6 it gets to 35mm which from others peoples views is amazing.
    Aleks
  4. miller806

miller806 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If the 22mm lens is a 35mm in real life, I agree and would use it as my standard lens. The only other thing I would recommend is a polarizing filter if your main interest is in landscapes.
    Aleksandar_the_Great likes this.
  5. Hedonist222

Hedonist222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im not familiar with the m100 but I do have a full frame canon 5d mkii and several lenses

the larger the zoom range, the more quality goes down.

So if you know you only intend to take landscape photos with a wide angle, then get a lens suited to this photography.
    I doubt you'll be on the long end, unless you're into specialty photography like birding.

I'd suggest the m100 equivalent of a 24 to 70 mm.
  6. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with @miller806 , I woudl get a 18-105 or similar lens, as you don't want to be caring multiple lenses ...

That's why I recommend a prosumer super zoom like Canon or Panasonic superzoom camera. They have full manual control, a really big zoom lens and are portable and allow you to shoot different kind of images without splurging on costly lenses. Yes they have their limitations (not very good low light performance etc..) but for a starter the camera's capability far above your capability...

Canon PowerShot SX540 Digital Camera w/ 50x Optical Zoom - Wi-Fi & NFC Enable... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B019UDIAI6/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_2wi8Eb8961BCT via @amazon
  7. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the advice.. I've got the m100 now with 22.0mm lense and with the stock lense.
    I only use the 22.0mm for now.. Taking pictures of my bike and some surroundings as well.
    Some samples attached IMG_20200619_075901_367.jpg IMG_20200614_213932_272.jpg 20200614185436_IMG_0430.jpg IMG_0694 (1).jpg
    Albie, twotyred and JeffPM like this.
  8. miller806

miller806 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you made a good choice, very nice pictures.
  9. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the compliment... I'm happy with the quality and the size of the camera... Still learning the aperture and settings but I'm on my way to better photography.
    Aleks
  10. b4thenite

b4thenite Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good looking bike, great photos.
    Using a prime lens is a learning process. The pay off is a secret insight into the art of photography. Plus no zoom lens can compare with a prime lens picture quality unless you pay stupid amount of money. ( even that is not always true )
    Take a lot of pictures, and post them here.
  11. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    IMG_0689.jpg IMG_0688.jpg IMG_0641 (1).jpg
    It is big change from using the phone...but the rewards of getting 10 pictures out of 100 right are amazing... I'm enjoying this very much..
    The bike is now complete from a style point of view, no more changes in this department.. Just a bit performance mods next.
    Can't wait to get out there and explore a bit more.
    Aleks
    MTBRALPH and turtlespeed like this.
  12. miller806

miller806 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A 10% save rate is about right. I remember in the old slide days when I would have three piles of slides after sorting. A large pile that no one was going see, a slightly smaller pile of too god to throw away, but not good enough to show anyone to see and a small pile of ones I liked. I learned two thing many years ago that stay with me. Every picture you take is a frozen moment of time that can never be repeated and if it is worth taking one picture it is worth at least three. The lesson is take lots of shots at veracious settings and perspectives and with modern digital cameras the cost of 1000 pictures is the same as 1 unlike film. Get out and enjoy yourself, it is the best way to learn yours and the cameras limits.
  13. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    We are very spoiled these days with technology and memory cards etc... Love to take pictures and will invest into this hobby time and gives me a reason to visit places and take shots.
    Would like to see others post some pictures in this thread if they would like to.
    Aleks
  14. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I use my mirrorless (A6400) for primarily video shooting, so that's a little bit different story.
    I mostly use 35mm f/1.8 (which would be 50mm equivalent of full-frame) at wide open.

ISO640, 1/250, f/1.8 (ND filter on), used huge reflector to light up the bike

[​IMG]DSC00137

Same camera, same lens, wide open at f/1.8 (no ND filter, over exposed background on purpose), shutter speed varies depending on the cut (some cuts were shot 24fps, some were shot 120fps (in order to do slow-motion). )

Akira Kurosawa mostly shot with 35mm - 50mm.
    Yasujiro Ozu mostly with 50mm, so was Hitchcock. (Psycho was entirely shot with 50mm. It is actually a very good text book movie, if you want to learn about camera movement, focal length, and story telling ...)
    Spielberg mostly shoot with wide lenses.
  15. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Looks nice.. My next challenge with tripod is to make a small video of my build and explain all the steps on how to T700Sm.
    I've ordered a small tripod today and hoping to make a video this weekend.
    What editing software for videos are you using?
    Aleks
  16. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    It depends on what you want to shoot. For me, the first lens I'd get is the fastest standard prime you can afford. Something in the f/1.4 - f/1.7 range, and 50mm equivalent. f/2.0 at the maximum. But I like bokeh and I tend to shoot a lot of low-light photography.

If you're into landscapes more, I'd go for a solid wide-angle prime instead. If sporting events are your thing, then a big zoom lens. If bugs or flowers, then a macro lens. It all depends on your intended use.

Charles.
  17. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    At the moment I've got a 22.0mm f2.0 on the m100 which is equivalent of 35mm on full crop.
    For now I'm happy and will keep this one... My shots are mostly of my bike and landscapes on the routes I create.
    I've got the standard lense which I'm not a big fan of after 1h of use..
    I'm still learning to use the camera and the lense I've got, once I'm confident I can handle a better lense I will look into it.
    Aleks
  18. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Editing software ...
    I've used iMovie, Premier Pro, Filmora, and Final Cut Pro X.
    The video in above post was edited on Filmora.

I edit on Final Cut Pro X mostly, these days. (I can edit faster with FCPX. It is also faster to export.)

BUT, I strongly advise you NOT to overly get caught with specs of the lenses and cameras, reputation and recommendation of editing software.
    Especially if you haven't been in that sort of thing in the past.
    You can edit with pretty much anything.

Here's my really old video, edited with iMovie.

There's a pretty big difference between taking photos and creating video. (Note, I didn't say " shooting video", I said "creating video" contents.)

I recommend to use what you already have (save that kit lens that you are not really happy right now. You may find it useful once you start shooting videos), improvise, think the way you can make your (imperfect / lesser quality) gears work, before starting to buy bunch of gears.

If the lens (focal length) is not long enough, move the camera close to the subject.
    If the lens is not fast enough, use light, any light.

After a while, you would (automatically) figure out what lenses you'd need (want), and why.
    (Like I said, you don't need bunch of different lenses. Hitchcock shot "PSYCHO" with 50mm, from the beginning to the end.
    Watch the film if you haven't.)
  19. Aleksandar_the_Great

Oddometer:
    Great advice, I've used filmora when I was doing some on board videos of me riding until I decided that vlogging is not for me as I much rather take pictures...
    You are definitely right in regards to lenses... I will stick to my f2.0 22.0mm for now, because it does make some nice pictures and like you say it is always nice to get creative with the gear you have...
    I'm shooting in raw and edit in Adobe lightroom... Still a learning curve but I'm getting better at it as well and get cleaner pictures now in comparison to editing in snapseed and shooting with the phone.
    Thank you for your advice... Here are some more shots :) IMG_20200625_150349_147.jpg IMG_0688.jpg IMG_0589.jpg

Attached Files:

20. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    No matter what the camera, I usually recommend

One 35 OR 50mm equivalent
    One 'walking around' zoom that's 20-100mm equivalent

and if you can afford it
    One telephoto 100-200mm
    One wide angle 12-40mm

Those are full frame sizes so you'll have to find an equivalent length given the crop factor of your body. But a Prime + Zoom is usually all you need. especially with Moto travel.

EDIT:
    https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-m-lenses-for-eos-mirrorless-cameras
    https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-m-11-22mm-f4-56-is-stm-lens
    +
    https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-m-28mm-f-3-5-macro-is-stm-macro-Lens
    +
    https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-m-55-200mm-f-45-63-is-stm-lens

Should do it. Look at Sigma if you want to save some money.