First motorcycle and First Adventure ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ridin'nFishin, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    Plymouth Satellite?
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Chevy Malibu
  3. Dirtdeville

Dirtdeville Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those rims look like an Oldsmobile so it would be a cutlass
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Not sure this is stock, but this is a '65 Malibu. 65.chevy-chevellemalibou-Q.jpg
    FishrCutB8 likes this.
  5. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great guesses from every one.

1964 F-85 Oldsmobile with a 330, 2 barrel carburetor, 3 speed on the column. I believe it did have Malibu hub caps.
    Amphib likes this.
  6. Dirtdeville

Dirtdeville Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the GM’a looked similar .
  7. Patmandoo

Patmandoo Really part time Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    excellent write up and pictures! Thanks
  8. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pat.

More coming......
  9. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    Before and after our trip across the river Brett, Andy, Kevin, Gary and I did a lot of riding around our neighborhoods, riding around the school, alleys, the beach and even making our way across town thru untraveled alleys ways to ride with other kids we went to school with. Andy’s parents had a beach cabin and his dad drove a 71 El Camino we would load our bikes in quite a few weekends for riding up and down the beach.

Andy and I didn’t live far apart, we would ride down an alley to each others house. One day we noticed an older guy working on a motorcycle under his carport, he waved at us to come over. His name is Sam and he recognized me as his paper boy, his bike was a Yamaha RT1 360 that was stripped down to a dirt bike. His big back yard was all tore up from him riding his bike, it was a good sized oval going around a fig tree in the very back then back towards the house. He told us to ride if we wanted to, we did and would stop and stare at that big 360. After watching us for a while he offered us to ride his bike, I thought it was too big for me but he urged me to give it a try. I’m sure his coaxing me to ride it didn’t take long for me to jump off my bike and onto his. I kick started that bad boy to life feeling the power and vibration immediately. I was really enjoying myself riding that 360cc motorcycle, it was starting to feel comfortable to me. I would roll on the throttle a little harder with each pass around the fig tree hitting 2 gear before I would have to shut it down making the other turn. It was great feeling the power of this bike while power sliding a little and the front wheel coming up at the same time. Wow, I was hooked on that power and wanted more. Sam was a cool dude.

[​IMG]

The dead end street I lived on was not a curb & gutter street, it had ditches. When it rained hard it would hold water for a few hours until it drained off. It had been raining pretty hard one day and the ditches were full. After it stopped raining Brett and I decided it would be fun to get that old door my dad had to be thrown away and use it to ski in the ditch. We were pulling each other with my Kawasaki 75 when Lonnie came around the corner from work on his 1971 Suzuki T500 Titan, passing by he could see that we were having fun. I’m sure he was saying to himself: I’ll show those little shits some fun! He pulled into our drive way dropping his lunch box then came back and tied the rope to the back of his bike. We were having a great time with my 75cc Kawasaki but let me tell you when he fired up the 500cc 2stroke twin cylinder it was a whole different ball game. That bike was moving us up and down that ditch like you wouldn’t believe, we were now having a fantastic time!

[​IMG]

Later on that summer I rode with Lonnie on his bike (I rode Bitch before I even knew what that was) from our parents home in Port Arthur to Corpus Christi see our sister Linda and brother in law who just had a baby girl, Tara. It was a 300 miles each way and Lonnie was riding that bike screaming fast down the highway there and back. It was awesome and I loved the speed. I wanted more and it was only a matter of time until I would be old enough to do the same.
  10. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely subscribed. This is good stuff!
  11. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    Thanks, more coming.
  12. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    It was great fun learning to ride motorcycles with my friends growing up and discussing what our next bike was going to be when we turned 15. In Texas at 15 you could get your motorcycles licenses for 99cc’s or less. Gary got a 1971 Honda CL100, Andy got a 1972 Honda SL100 and I got a 1971 Kawasaki KE100. Brett never did get a street legal motorcycle, he got a 1971 Hodaka Super Rat dirt bike. Kevin was a couple of years younger so he had to wait a few years until I sold him my KE100 that he stripped down to a dirt bike. Kevin’s brother never bought or rode any more motorcycles.

CL100
    [​IMG]

SL100
    [​IMG]

Super Rat
    [​IMG]

KE100
    [​IMG]

Gary bought his CL100 as soon as he turned 15 got his license and started delivering his paper route on his bike. We got in our first motorcycle crash with a car on that bike. Our parents were out of town and we were staying by ourselves at home but eating at our Maw Maw and Paw Paw’s (Mom’s parents) house. I was on the back and we were headed to their house for lunch when a lady in a car headed the opposite direction made a left turn to a gravel parking lot right in front of us. Gary could not stop and tried to beat her thru the parking but didn’t quite make it and she broadsided us. I went flying off the bike and Gary’s leg was caught under his bike with the muffler burning his leg. The lady never saw us, the next thing she saw was me standing in front of her car motioning for her to back up. She was frozen until my brother raised his head above the front of the car so that she was able to see him. Poor lady was scared to death. She insisted on bringing my brother to the hospital and did.

Delivering news papers provided me with the money to buy my first two motorcycles brand new and my first used car. I wasn’t able to get a car until I was past the 10th grade just like Linda my sister and two my brothers. I was the youngest of 4 and my sister was the oldest. I wanted wheels and it would be two more years before I would get a car. A motorcycle was the obvious choice. I could not wait to get my drivers license, 2 weeks before I turned 15 I talked my Mom into taking me to the Kawasaki shop 25 miles away and I bought my first dual sport motorcycle, a Kawasaki KE100. My Dad was pissed off big time because I bought it without his knowledge or his permission. He threatened to make me take it back but didn’t. I started delivering my paper route on my bike the day I got my license. Dad told me to never ride thru someones yard. I never did and not having a throw route either I had to learn how to ride down a single car driveway close enough to toss the paper onto the customers front porch then quickly make a u-turn without stopping or going into their yard. Back and forth I went across the street watching for cars that regularly hauled ass. The speed limit was 30mph but I don’t think that anyone went that slow.

That dead end street I grew up on was the best! I could not tell you how many times I had been up and down my street learning how to ride, racing my friends, not to mention learning to ride wheelies. I loved riding wheelies and still do, just don’t ride them like I use to do when I was younger. I’m sure I got it from watching Evel Knievel. I liked to jump also, started on my 75cc by going down the street turning into the ditch and running next to the culvert and trying to jump our driveway.

The first time that I went for a ride on my KE100 I got an amazing feeling as I pulled away from that stop sign on my street rounding the corner with license in my pocket. As I shifted gears I thought of the many times I had ridden up that stop sign looking both ways into my future only to turn around, but not this day! On this day my new adventures had just begun, the world was now open for me to explore. I was loving my new found freedom and it was taking me further than I had ever been before.

Andy and I did a lot of riding together, racing and learning to ride longer wheelies shifting gears with the front wheel in the air. Mike who lived across the street was siting in his driveway watching me ride wheelies. He didn’t have a motorcycle and has never owned one either, it just wasn’t his thing. As I was going back and forth I noticed a motorcycle come around the corner. It was Ricky and friend of Mikes, he pulled in to Mikes driveway and watched me as I kept on doing my thing until I couldn’t stand it no more. I pulled into the drive dropping my kickstand and sat there staring at his bike, I was drooling and they both new it. He was riding my dream bike, it was big, fast and I wanted to ride it so bad but I knew it was to big for me. It was a Kawasaki H2 Mach IV 750. After a while Ricky asked me if I wanted to ride it and I said no (what was I thinking, hell yeah I wanted to ride it) it was to big for me. Ricky like Sam insisted that I could handle it. I got on that bad boy triple cylinder 2-stroke 750cc Kawasaki motorcycle and kicked it to life. I remember how amazing it was to be holding to all that power as I started it. I made a few casual passes before Ricky got up and stopped me in the street. He told me to take it around the block, we had big blocks it was about 1 ½ miles with the longest stretch being about a ½ mile. My buddy Andy lived on that long stretch and I was headed straight there. Ricky told me to have fun and run it as hard as I wanted to but be careful it was sometimes hard to shift into 2nd gear. So here I am at 16 riding a very fast motorcycle with his blessings to ride it hard if I wanted to, are you kidding me, hell yes I wanted to ride it hard but only after I got somewhat comfortable with it. I took off making a right at the corner then for short distance before making a left at the next stop sign, then another left onto Andy’s street, he lived almost to the end of this ½ mile stretch. This is where I wanted to feel the power and I was careful with 2nd gear shift, I went thru the 5 gears rolling the throttle strong but not a pinned throttle and it felt amazing. It was fast and I planned on hitting it harder when I turned around. Andy was not home but his neighbor hood kids that I knew all heard me coming and were shocked to see me on that bike. I stopped for a few seconds to say hi and they could get a good look at this 16 yo kid on this bad motor scooter. I took slow rolling start and then I rolled the throttle hard when the front wheel started coming up, I let off the gas hit 2nd pinned that sucker and to my surprise it didn’t go into 2nd gear staying in 1st gear. It stood straight up immediately, oh shit, I let off the throttle and it dropped to the ground then I shifted again making sure it was in 2nd gear. I pinned the throttle speed shifting thru all the gears with the front wheel floating, my heart was racing, I was flying! I pulled up to Ricky and Mike, heart pounding, grinning from ear to ear, they too were grinning from ear to ear. They could hear me going thru the gears knowing I was moving at Mach IV speed. I don’t know how fast I was going I was to busy riding that bad mother fucker! I wanted that bike so bad and to this day I have never been on another Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV. This 74hp, 750cc, 3cyl, 2stroke motorcycle gives you an adrenaline rush that is totally amazing. I’m sure that plenty of people for several miles around could hear me that day going thru the gears and I’m damn glad it was me making all that noise. That was an experience I will never forget...Thanks Ricky. I’m hooked on Kawasaki’s speed!

750 Mach IV
    [​IMG]

Gary became friends with Alvin and he had a little brother Ricky. We all became friends then they bought a XL250, man that was a cool bike. Their dad had a piece of property in the woods just north of Beaumont. One day we decided to ride out there, Gary and Alvin went in a car, Ricky and I rode or our bikes. It was about 35 miles away and was my first overnight camping trip on a bike. It was also time for a bigger bike but I needed to get my first car and that time was getting close.

XL250
    [​IMG]
    HPPants likes this.
  13. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude, I'm reading …… and I'm right there with you. We gotta be close to the same age. Those brain cells haven't been electrified in quite a while. Thanks for the "pick me up" trip this morning. Ride on, man!!
    dammitdave likes this.
  14. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, I'm glad you are enjoying reading my memories. I'm 61 and motorcycles have always been a big part of my life, even when I was without one.

I hope this inspires you and others to add memories of your own, I would enjoy reading them.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    My first motorcycle was a 1978 XL250. Interesting that my last likely motorcycle starts with XL as well.
  16. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    A lot of this sounds really familiar! Brings back some great memories. Learned to ride on friend's minibike, then his Yamaha 80. My first reliable bike was a KE100.

Just sold a '71 Titan last summer (bought to restore, but ended up buying a Triumph Street Scrambler 900 before I got to it.) I think it was just like the one you posted up as the title said blue, but it had been badly painted red when I got it.

First nice bike I got to ride was a friend's '72 XL250 just like the one you posted. He bought it when he returned from 'Nam.

Fun read!
    Railrocker likes this.
  17. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I need to get back in the mood and write some more. I have enjoyed writing my memories and reading yours.
    Railrocker likes this.