First overnighter about to start

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AeroFlash, Mar 18, 2018.

1. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3 days 17 hours till my first overnighter begins. Pretty excited for it to begin. I'll be leaving out around 10am on Thursday the 22nd for a 4 day, 3 night adventure. The first 2 nights i'll be solo camping then my brother along with his son and son in law will be joining me for the third night.

We will be going to Natchez State Park and riding part of the Natchez Trace Parkway. While solo i'll probably take a side ride to Vicksburg Friday the 23rd. This will probably be a low mile easy going run since it is our first trip away from home, but hopefully not the last! The others will join me on the 24th for an all day ride then returning in the evening for a ribeye or tbone cookout to celebrate my brother and i's 61st birthday.

I hope to do a RR after we return if'n I can figure out how to post a few pics. Not gonna be cooking except for the grilling Saturday night.

Got a pic of my preliminary loadout, seems to be about 40-50 pounds.

PS how can I get an ADV sticker for my ride bike.jpg
  2. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have fun, ride safe. I'm jealous.
  3. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous too, sounds like great fun.
    Is that blue sleeping bag gonna stay dry if you run into rain? Wal-Mart sells some dry bags you might want to check into.
    whiskeygut likes this.
  4. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember my first.... :1drink

Hope it's a great ride for you guys! I really thought when I first looked at it you were a young'un starting out of his first ride, nope, you're my age and still trying new things, congrats!
    ItsNotTooLate likes this.
  5. findlj

findlj How much fun is that

Oddometer:
    Kampfire likes this.
  6. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, just ordered a couple. Yeah, i'm a truckdriver, so i'm always on the lookout for the phone nerds.
  7. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my 3rd bike in my 60 years, so not new to riding. But this will be my first overnighter, multi day bike trip and i'm looking forward to it with my twin brother and his son and son in law. Thanks for the well wishes.
    fishslapr and eddie bolted like this.
  8. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That blue sleeping bag has a twin the other side. Yeah, gonna need both and the 3in memory foam pad in the duffle to cushion my old azz. Hear your concern for rain, but we looking dry for the 4 days. Thanks tho
    JeepDawg likes this.
  9. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are Glitches Inevitable?

First and hopefully only glitch happened yesterday bout 1:30pm. After cleaning and shining the ride, I adjusted the shocks and prepped to reinstall loaded saddlebags and windshield. I grabbed the tire gauge and front tire was 26 of 29 psi so bumped it up to 30 psi. Rear tire, hit the gauge, HOLY MOLY!! 12 psi of 29! Not good. I grabbed the Slime dial gauge and oh no, 11 psi. Panic.

Called my local go-to guy and he says "we're very busy and short handed so if'n you can take the wheel off and bring it in, we can get to it in a couple days". Uh, no, not equipped for that and no time.

So i called the closest Honda dealer at 8:30 this am and explained the situation. "Bring it in, we have a tire and tube for it, lets see what we can do", he says. So I hooked up the trailer and loaded her up, ran the 60 miles to Honda of Lafayette and arrived at 10:15am. Did the Service check in with Kenny and unloaded and came home.

Yes!!! A call at 4:00pm this afternoon, yes, 5 hours and 45 minutes later, "Mr. Flash, your ride is ready. There was a nail in the tire. The tire is good, but we changed the tube. Total for that and the new key is $135".

I'll be picking it up about 9:00am in the morn and finish prepping for Thursday launch. Maybe a little steep but the plan is still on.

Kudos to Kenny and Honda of Lafayette, LA. Great job!!!
    The Virginian and EZMoney like this.
  10. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gettin your glitches out of the way close to home is smart. :rayof
    fishslapr likes this.
  11. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I still have fond memories of my first overnighter on the bike with a tent. I hope that yours brings you as much pleasure as mine did.
    fishslapr and eddie bolted like this.
  12. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, glad I thought o that.:D
  13. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too, squonker, me too. Thanks
  14. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20.5 Hours Till Launch

The bike is back home in good shape with tires aired up and loading restarted. Gonna be cool at 10am tomorrow but should warm up nicely by noon.

Others in the group are a little envious i'm heading out 2 days earlier than them, but I just didn't think one night camping was enough. Hopefully 3 nights camping won't be too much. We'll see. LOL
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  15. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to read about it and ride safe my friend. My first overnight trip was about a month ago and the nervousness and excitement is real but do t look back. Once on the road all that disappears and it's you and the road. Enjoy your ride sir.

Later
    Jon
  16. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Jon. Yes, I am going thru both excitement and nervousness right now. My bride of 40 years has been very encouraging and supportive, so that helps a lot. Good to know that the nervousness disappears after a while.
    Eagletalon likes this.
  17. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Final Equipment and Gear Check

All looks good: air holding up, load secure. Temp mid 40'sF and rising. Hope in the 50's at least when I roll out in an hour and a half. Gonna take it nice and easy with my first major stop at the Natchez Visitors Center to get info and maps for the area.

Check-in at campsite not till 4pm so no hurry. Hopefully can check in a little early and get setup.

That's it for now, inmates, i'll check back in about 4-5 days from now and update.
  18. Scott Parish

Scott Parish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope the weather holds for you - looks like chance of rain over the weekend. Looking forward to the RR.
  19. Steppy

Steppy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a Buddhist saying...."If something is worth doing there will be obstacles" Hope the tyre is your only one.
  20. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trip completed, success, had a blast!! 4 days and 3 nights of good weather, but a little windy on the 3rd day after my companions arrived. Only problem was on ride home nephew inlaws stator wires burned up but after 30 minute repair delay we were rolling again. My total miles were 4 days 460 miles. Not many miles but good riding miles on the Natchez Trace Parkway. Will start a RR soon but need a cable to get pics from digital cam to laptop. Will start soon with pics from phone cam.

Question for those that know. Do I start a RR from this thread or do I start a new thread?
    fishslapr, N-Id-Jim and EZMoney like this.