First overnighter about to start

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AeroFlash, Mar 18, 2018.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    AeroFlash....nice to see you had a good experience with your ride. Instead of a cable to transfer pics to your laptop, pick up an SD card reader at any of the electronics retailers. Take card out of camera and insert into reader. Insert reader into USB port on laptop and follow instructions of the picture wizard. The card reader will work for many different SD cards including minis.
    The Virginian likes this.
  2. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 1 Thursday March 22nd, 2018

Woke at my usual 5:00am and turned the coffee pot on with my Community Coffee Breakfast Blend. Dressed for my ride and started watching the clock for my 10am departure time. Tick tock. Check in for the campsite was not til 4pm so no hurry, but I was in a hurry to ride!

By 8am I was getting a little antsy, so I went out to the ride to recheck the load. All pre-trip was done the evening before so she was ready to roll. Here's a shot of the final load-out, notice my coffee cup, wanted something to hang on the rear. Inked20180321_170655_LI.jpg
    Moved the sleeping pad and added the dry bag to the luggage rack.
  3. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, ordered a card reader from Amazon this afternoon. Have one on the laptop, but the card is an xD type for Olympus cameras and they special.
    B10Dave likes this.
  4. terdog

terdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moto Camping is awesome. I'm jealous, but enjoying your thread. Ride Or Die Brother!
  5. Scott Parish

Scott Parish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just post your RR in this thread.
  6. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I headed out earlier than planned, I was ready to ride. Wife got this shot of me pulling out. Screenshot_2018-03-31-19-25-00.png The ride to Natchez was boring as hell, bad roads, crappy scenery, so didn't take any pics. Stopped a little west of Jonesville at T-Town for lunch. Had some fried catfish and tater wedges, was good.
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  7. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20180322_124635.jpg Crossed the Mississippi at Vidalia about noon and headed to the Visitors Center to rest and get some info. Nice place for a visitors center, clean, busy and plenty maps and brochures.

Attached Files:

8. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:

Know this guy?.., LOL
    D4E10E2E-188B-4D8A-B69A-1A9DCC473495.jpeg
  9. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the rest of your trip. So far, so good.
    Like many of us I remember my first moto camping trip like it was yesterday.
    Here's hoping you have many more! :kumbaya
    eddie bolted likes this.
  10. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! Yeah, I know, looks like over packing and it was. But...I did have a 10x13 5p tent on there too as 3 more guys were to meet me 3 days later. Funny thing is my brother brought along a full size Mr Coffee type coffee brewer that Saturday. The tent is being replaced with a 3p tent (smaller and lighter) and the massive sleep pad got shitcanned before the trip home (way too heavy and bulky).
  11. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After about an hour at the visitor center I decided to head to the campsite to see if I could setup. Before I left I decided to ask for directions to the Trace and found a cool map for it. It is the size of a brochure but unfolds out to about 4 ft length, from Natchez, Ms to Nashville, Tn.

After about a 15 minute ride I found the Natchez Trace Parkway, my destination ride!

Attached Files:

fishslapr likes this.
  12. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang. Been almost 3 weeks now and feels like last week. Just telling my brother this afternoon, I'm ready to ride again but I don't think mama is. LOL

I think at least one more is in for this year as I have come to love moto camping after this first one.
    fishslapr likes this.
  13. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to say that the NTP is a nice riding highway. Smooth, scenic, non cluttered and that's just in the first 10-12 miles til my turnoff to the Natchez State Park. Now Natchez itself was not cluttered or bumper to bumper traffic considering the confluence of all highways there, US 84, US 61, US other, other, MS whatnot. Expansive as it is, Natchez is actually pretty easy to navigate through. Disclaimer: I only passed through, not into. Though Natchez was the destination, the city wasn't, just the area and in particular the Trace.
  14. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After about 10 miles of very nice Parkway riding I came to the Natchez State Park getoff. Took a right and crossed over the US 61. The outer park roads were not impressive, narrow, abandoned rundown buildings on both sides of the road. Utility construction left dirt and gravel all over the roads for the first mile or so. Then a right at the entrance to the park itself. Yes! Split lane boulevard for about 100 yards then the big brown Park sign.

Rules, regulations, reserved sites no checkin required proceed to your site and camp on! Great, I can deal with that.

Last line on sign
    NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED.

Wuut? wtf? Must not mean me, I only drink beer.

Took off and rode the BEST 2.3 miles I have ever been on. Nothing but twists and turns and hairpin turns up and down rollercoaster riding wow shit. Dang, that was fun and then I got to the campsite. No one there and my name on the post, time to setup P3230003.JPG
    fishslapr, tjzondrz, EZMoney and 2 others like this.
  15. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's it for today. Finally got my card reader in to continue this RR but i'm just coming off a bronchitis bout, so i'll call it a day. Prob continue tomorrow.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get better quickly. This is shaping up to be a good RR.
    EZMoney likes this.
  17. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward towards the rest of the ride report. :drink

Eric
    rascalman likes this.
  18. EZMoney

EZMoney Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too!
    rascalman and The Virginian like this.
  19. Specularius

Specularius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me Three.
  20. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To the right of my saddlebag you can the orange of my extension cord, nothing to the left. Yeah the 25 footer I brought was not enough, debated before I left as to bringing the 50 footer or the 25 ft, 25 ft won, wrong call. The power was needed for my phone to charge and days later after my compadres arrived, coffee pot and battery tender, if needed.

So I left out for the Tractor Supply place I knew was about 10 miles away and got another 25ft cord for $10 and all was good. I can always use the cords at home for the generator when the Cleco goes out. While out on the road, I decided to test the NO ALCOHOL! rule by getting me a few 24oz Buds. Fenceposts, that is, La. tea. Ha.

On the way back stopped to get this pic P3230027.JPG Wish it woulda still been open, saved a bit of miles on food and beer runs. You can see my little cooler on the back stuffed with a few beverages.
    TheBritAbroad and EZMoney like this.