First overnighter about to start

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AeroFlash, Mar 18, 2018.

1. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The pic of the little abandoned store is on the turn off to the park, so a few miles later I arrived back at camp, unloaded the cord and beverages and surveyed my surroundings. The sites are fairly close with bathhouse about 100 feet away. It is fairly large with separate facilites for male and females. The men side had 2 shower stalls (private I might add and 2 crappers and 2 urinals with a shared washer and dryer pair and a cold drink vending machine. Drinks $1.25 for 16oz bottles, not bad!
    EZMoney and TheBritAbroad like this.
  2. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There were lots of seasoned citizen campers here, lots with dogs, which were not an issue. Well behaved and on leashes, you never knew they were there until you saw them. There were no other tenters in this campers area, mostly 30ft or so travel trailers with a few self contained motor homes and a few truck based campers. Very quiet except for hum of a/c units. Approaching dark I set up my few camp lights and got ready for supper.

I had brought along 1 MRE for the first night and planned to play it by ear the rest of the nights. Under camplight I prepped my blackbean and rice with chicken meal. With the self heater thingy I got it done, was ready to eat, Disclaimer: I like MRE's so it was an enjoyable meal. Drank a couple of beers and time to call it a night.

Seeing was gonna be be mid to uppers 40s for the night, I opted to sleep in my ride getup and to setup bedding with my 3inch sleep pad, 2 sleeping bags and my trusty LSU blanket. Took off all hard items off, wallet, keys, belt, laid down pondered the situation.

To be clear, this trip was many firsts for me: first moto-camping ever, first solo camping in any way, first away camping from home, non work related from the wife.

My first impression solo, Good GooglyMoogly, I like this, nay, I love this.
    TheBritAbroad and EZMoney like this.
  3. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turned all lights off, snuggled into my sleeping bag and looked up, total darkness, total quiet except for the low hum of a/c units or whatever and... sleep, good sleep, till 2am and the getup for a pee. Bliss, interrupted for a few minutes, stumble out for a quickie pee and back to bliss til 630am. I'm liking this.
    EZMoney likes this.
  4. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Slept like a log, love total darkness and quite, don't get this at home. Light creeping thru the roof starting stirring me. Could feel it was cool, so didn't rush. Laid there for a while snuggled up in my blanket. Cleared my head for a sec, YES, no work, no NADA for today. I looked at my charging phone: 630. 8 plus hours sleep, big smile, Dang!

Loaded all my stuff, wallet keys, put on shoes, headed out. Brrr. Nippy out. 49F.
    EZMoney likes this.
  5. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 2. March 23, 2018

Yeah, it was cold out, but didn't wanna make big old fire, but wanted, nay, needed coffee. So I grabbed local sticks and added to my carried fire starter pack and made a small fire in the bbq pit and started my cup of water boiling water for my instant coffee. After about 20 minutes was sipping way too hot Community Coffee in my metal cup. Hit the spot tho. Made a bathroom run and checked the weather. Was gonna be a slow warming, so took a little ride around the park.The P3230004.JPG building across the lake is the Park Office.
    bromax, B10Dave, tjzondrz and 2 others like this.
  6. EZMoney

EZMoney Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! :clap
  7. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There were a couple boats out there fishing but they weren't in camera range. I was in the opposite direction from exit road so I turned around to exit and came across a group of youngster who seemed to be skipping school to hang out at the the lake. They gave me thumbs up as I passed them and headed UPHILL to leave. By first gear I was at the stop sign with my ass end pointed down! After a couple false starts, (hehe) I managed to take off without popping a wheelie and headed outta there. Rode to the Trace and headed back to Natchez to fuel and grab a bite to eat.

Went to WalMart to get a knife for the camp and didn't find one. What? Yeah, musta been a big camping item this week. Fueled up at their gas place (57mpg, not bad) and plotted my run on The Parkway. By that time was knocking on lunch, so went to McD's for a double Fish combo and texted to better half that all was good.
    B10Dave, rascalman and EZMoney like this.
  8. MGN54

MGN54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good RR going here! Looking forward to the next installment. Would like to do something like this myself!
    EZMoney likes this.
  9. AeroFlash

AeroFlash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now is as good a time as any! Was 2 days shy of my and my brothers 61st B'Day. We planned this ride for our B'Day, as he and others joined me on the 24th. Go for it.
  10. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Gham

Gham What's for lunch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't camped in years but this thread has kind of re-lit the old fire!
  12. 15's Pop

15's Pop Adventurer

Oddometer: