First problems with Montana - random power off

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by OneEffinName, Jul 23, 2011.

1. OneEffinName

OneEffinName Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my new Garmin Montana mounted on my woods bike using the Garmin "rugged" mount - rubber mounted to my handlebars. I have about 300-400km on it - all backroads and single track. Its now starting to randomly power off. For a while it was saying "do not recognize battery" - when I have the lithium battery installed (and still on the rugged mount ?!?!). So I put in AAA cells and mounted it on the rugged mount. I would still randomly shut off.

Back home, on the table - it of course works just fine. (grumble grumble).

*sigh* I had these problems with my 60CSX - I was hoping the Montana could handle it better.
  2. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I have had problems with several GPS that use replaceable battery's shutting off like this. The ones that use batteries with pig tails (wire connectors) don't seem to have this problem.

I figure the battery temporarily looses contact with the terminal. The GPS takes a shock, the battery bounces on the spring and the device looses power.

I think my My Delorme PN40 is doing something similar when running off of Bike power (with rechargeable battery inside).
    I hit a bad bump and discover the GPS is still on, but locked up. I need to open it up, remove the battery, hold down the power button for 15-30 seconds, put the battery back in and it will work. Maybe when the battery disconnects like this the GPS receives a spike in voltage and locks up?
  3. OneEffinName

Oddometer:
    That sounds quite plausible. I know with my 60CSX, then problem was realted to the mating connectors between the battery pack and one PCB - they are spring connectors.

*sigh* well I'll call garmin and see what they have to say.
  4. OneEffinName

Oddometer:
    I chatted with Garmin - they are going to send me a new rugged mount - hopefully that fixes it. I can shake the crap out of the montana, without any issues.
  5. dacrazyrn

dacrazyrn ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might request that the mod's move this over to the Montana thread.

If I were a betting man :evil I'd bet that your battery is loose in the bat compartment. Try putting one or two wraps of electrical tape around the end closest to the contacts. This will seat the battery into position much better.

I suppose it could be the AMPS mount but my money is still on the Battery being to loose.

Cheers,
  7. OneEffinName

Oddometer:
    PLEASE dont move this to the montana thread.

What a PIA to try and find anything in there. 29 pages of numerous topics. Can you imagine if everything to do with a 60Csx was in a single thread?

One thread per topic please!
  8. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I agree, I have been watching the Montana thread but it is as bad as the BRP (xr650L) thread. 25 conversations going on at one time, very hard to follow.

Besides, you have this problem with a montana, I have had it with a Delorme PN series and an old Lowrance handheld. My buddy has some kind of problem with his garmin III?
  9. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Just a suggestion - your thread - your call. It's all good.

Cheers,
  10. OneEffinName

Oddometer:
    Add a Garmin 60Csx to the list too.

Although they are sending out a new rugged mount, I still think its the actual GPS unit. I am going to build a more flexible attachement for the handlebars. Right now it has three levels of rubber mounting, but is still rigid. I am going to make something that will allow the unit to move (float?) around a bit. My little dash unit on my KTM is mounted this way.
  11. OneEffinName

Oddometer:
    It is now happening all the time. 30 second ride on the bike and it shuts down. I was able to narrow it down to the lithium battery. If I am using the lithium battery and shake the unit (a bit) it will shut off. It wont with AAA batteries. - doesn't make a difference if it has external power or not.

I will test it out on long nasty ride this weekend. Then I'll give Garmin a ring and get a new battery.
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    The loose Lithium Battery is a "known" issue. It has been reported here several times (see above) and to Garmin Product Support. But, please do report it for your unit - the more owners that do, the better our chance of getting batteries that actually fit correctly.

On an up note, you did get a "free" AMPS mount out this. I have found it interesting over the last few years that Garmin's "issues" database is not that well maintained or used by the Tech Support group.

Cheers,
  13. OneEffinName

Oddometer:
    Thnkas for pointing out the tape post - I missed that. I will give it a shot.
  14. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up, I called Garmin with the same issue and they immediately admitted the issue and have sent out a new battery to me.
  15. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    When you receive your new battery would you let us know if it is wider so that it doesn't rattle when you shake the Montana?

Cheers,
  16. kuroda_tadayoshi

kuroda_tadayoshi Kuroda

Oddometer:
    When you get the new battery, see if you can notice a difference between the two.

I am wondering if it was a bad batch, or a manufacturing change.

I bought my 600 direct from Garmin. I have put about 4,000 miles on the unit; many miles off-road, riding hard. I've never had it turn off on me. I am wondering if I can look forward to that problem.

I do notice the elevation tracking is wacky.

Attached Files:

17. YamWOW!

YamWOW! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine has shut down choosing different maps a few times.
  18. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I have had two shutdown's since installing v2.70 but none related to battery (fix that issue the day after it arrived).

By the way, kuroda_tadayoshi, Setup->Display->Screen Capture->YES, works really well. :evil

Cheers,
  19. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:

Yeah I find that the "altimeter" needs calibrating regularly. I use it for tracking barometric pressure in variable elevation mode and need to calibrate it often.
  20. Motley

Motley Lurker

Oddometer:
    FWIW my Oregon 450 shut down on me once or twice while on the power cable in the van. No notifications, it just turned itself off.