First responder /first aid on trails

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by rider1150gsadv, Mar 6, 2010.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    In light of Inept's biff, and the luck he had of having an EMT on the scene it may be time to have a few more riders/FF's be better equipped to respond to an accident on the trail.
    We have EMT's on this forum who could point the rest of us amateurs in the right direction.
    It is often what you don't do to a patient that can be a the difference of life and death or walking and wheelchair bound..

:lurk
  2. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Phaedrus excellent info lifted from a different thread...:deal

3. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    If you are not trained to do it, don't. Other wise Good Samaritan Laws will not protect you. Having good intentions will not protect you in most states. As a trained first responder I have to be very careful not to do anything outside the scope of my training. If you have no training you better be very careful what you do or you may wind up being financially responsible for your actions.

My suggestion is if you want to help, you better get training and keep it current. BTW I have used my training to assist an injured rider I was riding with. Explosive fracture of 4 vertebrae and he walks talks and is still a PITA today. :D
  4. Buzztail

Buzztail Nomad

Oddometer:
    :ear
  5. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Very true. It is often what you don't do that is more helpful. It is just the feeling of helplessness that compels people to want to "help" often doing a bad thing.
    I guess some peeps just need to slow down a bit riding those trails...:nod
  6. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Get some training and then you can help.
  7. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Will do, as I need to keep current for my coastguard license anyway and I can write it off too..:deal
  8. hendikaf

hendikaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the red cross give free classes locally so it maybe good to check them.
    Personally I prefer to help and get a law suit later on than not do anything at all.
  9. Steverino

Oddometer:
    I agree, my comments were to be careful what you do. If you render care that is reasonable and that is not beyond that which a reasonable person would give would be OK. Removing the helmet is not a good idea. As a matter of fact we don't unless there is suspicion of bleeding that needs to be controlled.
  10. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not the speed that injures, its the inexperience.

A certain gravel road in MS comes to mind:D.

You were haulin the mail yesterday, wish I would of shot a video of the GS susp working, it was neat. However my one hand riding one hand video taking on gravel on a new to me bike skills are lacking:wink:.
  11. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    True...
    That rivergravel was very deep though, we could barely walk it, and the suspension wasn't set up right at all then..:nono
    I have the suspension dialed in on the GS now :deal Doin' 80 was irresponsible but oh well..:shog
    That KTM is SICK!!!:thumb
  12. Buzztail

Buzztail Nomad

Oddometer:
    Just got out of the bosses office. I was asked to go through First Responder /CPR training again. My cert expired several years ago, but they remembered me saying something about it on my interview nearly two years ago. I was asked if it was something I was interested in updating:thumb Yup:nod
  13. Medic

Medic Window licker

Oddometer:
    DRABC!

Whether a trained first responder or not, THAT IS the scope of your practice, stick to the basics of life support and no matter how badly you fuck it up, you've done NO HARM, and will not be sued.

You may have done bugger all to help, but at least you will not have caused further harm.

D check for danger
    R check for response
    A check airway
    B check breathing
    C check circulation

Nothing (NOTHING) will be more useful than an individual on the scene properly trained.

Nothing (NOTHING) can be more dangerous than a triumph of enthusiasm over common sense, if you have no idea what to do, then do only what you know.

Best thing you can do is get prior training and review those skills frequently.
  14. Buzztail

Buzztail Nomad

Oddometer:
    Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Screw with either of those and you gots yourself a problem
  15. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
  16. Hatch

Hatch PAR OG

Oddometer:
    Well we just went from one end of the spectrum to the other.

buzz, you've got the minimalist side covered
    mug, wtf man. that book is too big for doctors!

stick with an actual "first responder" type publication, like the one I linked
    [​IMG]:deal
  17. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    My 4th middle name is 'Overboard' :lol3
  18. Buzztail

Buzztail Nomad

Oddometer:
  19. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    I would caution that unless there is an immediate need to get the helmet off, leave it on. It is so easy to exacerbate or even cause an injury by trying to get it off. There's a reason ERs use saws.

My $0.02
  20. TreeManG23

TreeManG23 TreeMan Racing

Oddometer:
    I bought the book Tactical Medicine a year or 2 ago. It's not bad but I thought it was a little too introductory